Dreger: Oilers interested in Kapanen/Johnsson/Kerfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That's ridiculous, like many of your trade proposals on here.

Something that a few Leaf fans (not all, certainly) don't understand. The entire league does not exist for you to trade your scraps to and improve your team.

Kapanen is a scrap? Why was that trade proposal so bad?

Kapanen stand alone is likely worth a late 1st rounder. The other two guys have minimal value (maybe a 4th or 5th rounder each). Gagner has net negative value. Put it together its a fair deal.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't see the fit. Edmonton could use Toronto's forward depth yes, but Edmonton's D corps is pretty bad outside of Nurse and Bear who aren't being dealt. Edmonton would need to trade futures and Toronto doesn't need futures.

You think Klefbom and Larsson are "pretty bad?"

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
James Mirtle has said in the recent past that the Leafs had expressed interest in Nurse.

I get that Oilers fans may not wamt to move him, but hes likely the main ask/focus from the Leafs

They can ask all day, that doesn’t mean they get. I can’t imagine a scenario where Kapanen+ entices Edmonton into giving up Nurse.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's probably something like Holland wants one of those guys, Dubas wants Nurse. They negotiate and it ends up the lesser of the 3 guys for a lesser Edmonton defender and a pick

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
James Mirtle has said in the recent past that the Leafs had expressed interest in Nurse.

I get that Oilers fans may not wamt to move him, but hes likely the main ask/focus from the Leafs
You can probably imagine the Oilers' interest in keeping Nurse would be much higher than their interest in one of those 3 Leaf forwards.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Oilers- we want your good players, don't want to give anything of value for them, and you gotta take a bad contract back to make the numbers work

Leafs- yess!!!! Sign me up
We just want a top six forward for a top 4 defenceman. Any combo of youth or picks or salary to make things even for both teams would please edmonton. A fair trade that helps both teams....no stealing trades need to happen.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Wah, the Oilers wont trade away their effective young ELC defenceman to my Leafies, wah?

Ruin his value? Bear was a 5th round pick, his value has never been higher than it is today.

Is it really that surprising the Oilers want to keep productive young RHD? Bad post.
Justin Schultz and his cup ring think yours is a bad post. Heck even Petry for a 2nd looks pretty stupid in hindsight, or do you just block out those things? Remember, it is Edmonton who needs something. Toronto already has better than Bear in Sandin. Leaf fans are more than content to keep all three of our forwards if Edmonton wants to cheap things up on the offers. One cheap defenseman on elc isn't going to move the needle on the leafs cup chances any time soon. One thing history tells us is that when Edmonton wants something in trade, they pay a stupid price. That being said Bear is not a stupid enough price, that first rounder is part of the price tag for sure if it does happen.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Justin Schultz and his cup ring think yours is a bad post. Heck even Petry for a 2nd looks pretty stupid in hindsight, or do you just block out those things? Remember, it is Edmonton who needs something. Toronto already has better than Bear in Sandin. Leaf fans are more than content to keep all three of our forwards if Edmonton wants to cheap things up on the offers. One cheap defenseman on elc isn't going to move the needle on the leafs cup chances any time soon. One thing history tells us is that when Edmonton wants something in trade, they pay a stupid price. That being said Bear is not a stupid enough price, that first rounder is part of the price tag for sure if it does happen.

trades made two GM’s ago are relevant because...?

well if history has taught us anything, any player Dubas acquires will get signed to a multimillion dollar overpayment, and you can’t afford any more of those.

and no, Toronto’s glorified third liners don’t return a first. Or Bear. Or Klefbom, or Nurse. Your inability to develop your own defencemen is nobody else’s problem.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008

well if history has taught us anything, any player Dubas acquires will get signed to a multimillion dollar overpayment, and you can’t afford any more of those.

and no, Toronto’s glorified third liners don’t return a first. Or Bear. Or Klefbom, or Nurse. Your inability to develop your own defencemen is nobody else’s problem.

Someone is getting upset...

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

This is a thread about the Oilers being interested in our glorified third liners because they can't draft an NHL forward outside of lottery picks and the occasional mid first rounder. Feel free to keep running a bottom-9 that wouldn't qualify for the AHL playoffs.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is a thread about the Oilers being interested in our glorified third liners because they can't draft an NHL forward outside of lottery picks and the occasional mid first rounder. Feel free to keep running a bottom-9 that wouldn't qualify for the AHL playoffs.
A lot easier to find depth forwards than it is to develop impactful defensemen.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So why is the Oilers bottom-9 ECHL caliber for 3 years now? It's easy to find forwards right?
Are you watching the Oilers right now?

Their bottom nine is...

Nugent-Hopkins - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Nygard - Sheahan - Chiasson
P. Russell - Haas - Gagner

They're paying Sheahan and Josh Archibald $1m each this season to produce comparable numbers to Andreas Johnsson. They're also contributing to the league's most improved PK unit.

So yes, it's actually really easy to find that depth. They haven't added top six options via free agency recently because they're expensive and goal prevention was a greater priority than goal production.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Are you watching the Oilers right now?

Their bottom nine is...

Nugent-Hopkins - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Nygard - Sheahan - Chiasson
P. Russell - Haas - Gagner

They're paying Sheahan and Josh Archibald $1m each this season to produce comparable numbers to Andreas Johnsson. They're also contributing to the league's most improved PK unit.

So yes, it's actually really easy to find that depth. They haven't added top six options via free agency recently because they're expensive and goal prevention was a greater priority than goal production.

Your third line has a combined 31 points. Kapanen alone has 28 points.

Your bottom 9 is absolute garbage. You have 3-4 forwards on your team that are a guarantee to be on a contender's roster, maybe 5 if you count Yamamoto.

Reactions: Scrapy1980

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Your third line has a combined 31 points. Kapanen alone has 28 points.

Your bottom 9 is absolute garbage. You have 3-4 forwards on your team that are a guarantee to be on a contender's roster, maybe 5 if you count Yamamoto.
As I mentioned before, Kapanen is the only guy on that list who qualifies as a top six forward. And with the emergence of Yamamoto, there's really not much of an immediate need at RW.

I like Kapanen. But my point is that you can find similarly valued players via FA if you're willing to pay them. Defensemen aren't as easy to find. The Leafs should know first hand what it costs to address those roles.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
In reality, Leafs is pretty desperate to find some defensive help if they wanna stand a chance if they reach the playoffs!

Oilers not so much, could need a top 6 winger but luckily Holland in charge now and it seems to work out internally for the last stretch of games, we have one of the best pp and pk in the Nhl.

Goaltending worry me mosts, hasnt a no 1 goalie, only 2up and downs!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't see the Oilers having the assets that would make the Leafs trade any of those guys, or at least players that they would trade for one of those guys.

Just saying, NYR were really keen on Puljujärvi before the December deadline.

Kapanen+ for Geo

Kapanen to EDM for Pulju+

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
This thread cannot proceed until it’s made crystal clear that everyone’s greasy mitts stay off of our Bear cub. He is not for sale.
While you're being relatively good-natured about it, this kind of grandstanding is how these threads get derailed. Any player is for sale for the right price. These threads are places to discuss that price.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Kapanen isn't a glorified 3rd liner. His production has been solidly 2nd line with little PP time over the last two seasons. Presumably you're aware of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad