Post-Game Talk: Oilers have no bounce

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Just finished game on PVR.
I've started this habit of reading entire GDT after game. Honestly the venom and stupidity is so prevalent. Russel can make an incredible play on the PK the get shat on minutes later. This is done with all players.
The posters that call out a play like 'bonehead move' or something like that get it. Players make stupid plays at times, but its a 60min game. Doesn't mean they're total crap.

I think I'll stick with reading it after as another poster suggested. I relive the game that way and enjoy the humor more!

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
My take

I thought we hung in very well with a much better team. And they are much better.
To me, Stolarz was great, Benning (yes Benning!) had a strong game, and I liked the work of the Cave / Kharia / Currie line, although they did get overwhelmed at times.
Reider and Rattie continue to be space fillers.
I though Sam had a very string game as well. Which leads me to this -
Why can't we have a coach that recognizes whats happening and who's going in a particular game?
If we could ever ADAPT on the fly instead of same ol same ol always, we'd probably find more success. Kassian was ok but when Drai went up with McD, why not fire Gags up there as well? He was executing at both ends. I'm not talking forever - and I'm certainly not in favor of the blender constantly - but these are recognitions in game and require better decisions.
When he changed up things, he also sent Currie to 4th line for a spell after what I felt was an energized few shifts of play.

Anyway almost pulled off the miracle which made the end exciting. I wasnt that disappointed. I also felt TO was guilty of 3 too many men incidents. Perhaps just me.

I must say - Reimer is for real. And where did Adam Larsen go?

Reactions: MessierII

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Nuge has been a huge part of any success PP1 has had. I'd probably replace Nurse with Klefbom and Chiasson with Currie or someone like that as a net-front presence.

The reason Nurse is on the PP rather than Klefbom is because the PP improved with Nurse there. He may not be perfect, but he is the best option of the defenders on this team.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Reading TSN today, 3 fluff articles about the greatness of Leafs players (Tavares, Reilly, and Andersen). One would think they just won the Cup instead of holding on for dear life against the Oilers.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I remember when Matthews was on that list. He'll always have a decent ppg I guess...

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Don’t get why people have this perception that the Leafs are some playoff choker, in 2017 they went up against the Presidents Trophy Capitals with 8 rookies on our roster and went 6 close games all decided by one goal.

In 2018 they went 7 with a Bruins team everyone considered and still considers a legit contender. The reality is the Leafs faced and lost to 2 very good contenders for the last 2 seasons.

This talk of the Leafs having no chance against Boston is ridiculous, this is a team that essentially upgraded Bozak to Tavares.

Leafs-Bruins will be a coin toss, both teams are capable of winning the series.

Because you are.
Year after year after year, your fanbase and media keep on telling us what a power house you guys are, over and over again.
Yet you can't make it out of the 1st round......how long now?
14 years or so?
For such a power house, you'd think a series win would happen, yet you guys can't do it.

Reactions: McLovin

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Pissed we didn't tie it up at the end there. I can't believe how badly the leafs fell apart at the end. Shame. Thought Stolarz played a bit of an unorthodox style, yet played well. The team played reasonably well in front of him which is tough when you have a goalie you don't know. Why wasn't TO called for too many men on Tavares goal?

2 points lost but at least they went out east. Just stings bc it went to the leafs. Gotta get back on the W train next game.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Better to be there...

...and complain about the playoff format when the Bruins wipe the floor with us....than not be there at all. Yeah yeah we getcha Mr Center Of The Universe.

How many years have the Leafs sucked since playoffs were only 2 rounds long in black and white tv? 40? 45? I understand you have more experience at being the laughing stock. You win! :thumbu:

space321

May 11, 2011
I'm writing this season off for Larsson as a combination of lost confidence and, more importantly, lost father.

The first anniversary of a loved one's death is the hardest one.

What's the excuse gonna be when he continues to play like a mediocre second pairing Dman next season?

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Pissed we didn't tie it up at the end there. I can't believe how badly the leafs fell apart at the end. Shame. Thought Stolarz played a bit of an unorthodox style, yet played well. The team played reasonably well in front of him which is tough when you have a goalie you don't know. Why wasn't TO called for too many men on Tavares goal?

2 points lost but at least they went out east. Just stings bc it went to the leafs. Gotta get back on the W train next game.
Leafs almost pulled an us. Be interesting to see if its a one off or they crack under pressure.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Reading TSN today, 3 fluff articles about the greatness of Leafs players (Tavares, Reilly, and Andersen). One would think they just won the Cup instead of holding on for dear life against the Oilers.

Holding on for dear life? Lol. The oilers showed up for 43 seconds of the entire game.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Oilers fans are the last people on earth to try and roast other teams.

Because we're personally responsible for Katz treating this org like a treehouse club? :)

I think we roast our own team enough to afford us some roasting of other teams.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad