Post-Game Talk: Oilers have no bounce

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
What playoff push? It's just an illusion. Called them out since December. Team has no scoring depth beyond 3 players. Also who teaches them to be so lousy on 5 on 3 pp's?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I still can't understand why Dubas even entertained Matthews' agent using McDavid as a comparable during contract negotiations to reach the big money and short-term that they agreed to. Matthews is a star player that has 40+ goal potential every season, but I've seen nothing that suggests he's a perennial contender for the Hart/Lindsay Trophy.

Complimentary player? :nod:
Generational megastar? :laugh:

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I was pretty pissed off after the first. The Leafs looked MUCH better in the first and Stolie made some good saves. I wasn't all that upset after the game was over. We had a ton of grade A chances (mainly Drai) and Freddie just stoned us... hard. I personally thought we looked like the better team in the 2nd and 3rd. Got 2 quick ones and had another 3 grade A chances right at the end (Kassian, Drai on the open net, and Drai again with a shot form the left side or that might have been Nuge). They needed to be checking the Leafs more and giving them little space, they did a better job of this in the 2nd and 3rd but it was too little too late.

Reactions: RegDunlop

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Keith's GM rating almost fell last night, but I think that 2 goal burst at the end saved it. He remains in the "good enough to do the job" category.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Missed 90% of the game
This one had “predictable loss” written all over it
they rarely win on Saturdays and never beat the Leaves
Oh well, win the next 2 at home for a successful home stand

Yeah, I only watched the game off/on. This had loss written all over it:
- Saturday night game? check
- had a winning stream coming into the game, where we maybe shouldn't have won the last game? check
- Leafs at home in front of national audience? check

They have been playing good hockey wince Sekera came back, and they were due for a bad game. It's why the idea of going 14-2 to claim a playoff spot (or whatever the record needed to be) was always a joke.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Keith's GM rating almost fell last night, but I think that 2 goal burst at the end saved it. He remains in the "good enough to do the job" category.
Much easier to hire him then to find and hire the best candidate. Oilers will spend more time and effort creating the narrative that he’s the right choice than they will looking for somebody else.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
That’s only one point in dog hockey.

1 point back!

upload_2019-3-10_11-27-55.jpeg

Reactions: I am the Liquor

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Get his games in to keep his rights
I don't think this is really an issue. Teams aren't going to be banging on the door of Stolarz to give him the back up job. I'll be perfectly honest and say I don't think we should be either. We need someone more proven to run with Koskinen. We can't go into next year with a goalie tandem that has combined for ~80 games played in the NHL.

But if we really want him here, there's no reason he and his agent wouldn't accept a contract offer. RFA or UFA. There is a limited number of goalie spots available in this league. If the Oilers are offering one to Stolarz he'd take it.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Enjoy your 2 home playoff games.

Don’t get why people have this perception that the Leafs are some playoff choker, in 2017 they went up against the Presidents Trophy Capitals with 8 rookies on our roster and went 6 close games all decided by one goal.

In 2018 they went 7 with a Bruins team everyone considered and still considers a legit contender. The reality is the Leafs faced and lost to 2 very good contenders for the last 2 seasons.

This talk of the Leafs having no chance against Boston is ridiculous, this is a team that essentially upgraded Bozak to Tavares.

Leafs-Bruins will be a coin toss, both teams are capable of winning the series.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Don’t get why people have this perception that the Leafs are some playoff choker, in 2017 they went up against the Presidents Trophy Capitals with 8 rookies on our roster and went 6 close games all decided by one goal.

In 2018 they went 7 with a Bruins team everyone considered and still considers a legit contender. The reality is the Leafs faced and lost to 2 very good contenders for the last 2 seasons.

This talk of the Leafs having no chance against Boston is ridiculous, this is a team that essentially upgraded Bozak to Tavares.

Leafs-Bruins will be a coin toss, both teams are capable of winning the series.
I think the perception comes from them not making the finals in over 50 years.

The last time the Leafs won a cup was before man landed on the moon. Half a century ago.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad