Rumor: Oilers/flyers trade.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
22 points in 62 games on the 13-14 Buffalo team seems like a decent amount, honestly.

Ehrhoff only had 33 points in 79 games, and he got a lot more PP time.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He's a better defensive player now than in his Calder year, but his offensive production has dipped.

FWIW, Coburn followed a similar trajectory.

Schenn + Schenn is a reasonable price, but it we'd need to pick up a forward somewhere.

Scott Laughton?

Or maybe we sweeten the pot a little bit more and ask for Chris Stewart?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Myers = Coburn

I'd rather not trade them for another Coburn

Myers is far better than Coburn offensively. On a better Flyers team with a great PP, Myers would put up 30-40 points.

22 points in 62 games on the atrocious Sabres..

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Myers is better offensively.
Coburn is better defensively.
Both are excellent skaters.
Coburn is a more reliable positional player at this point.

I think Coburn is better overall, and that swap wouldn't make sense for either side. Myers holds more trade value. The point would be to get both.

Coburn - Myers
MacDonald - Streit
Fake Defenseman - Pylon

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Speak for yourself playboy, I'd love to add another coburn especially not one who is far better offensively than the one we currently have

I wouldn't say far better. Myers had one season where he put up good numbers. Personally, if the Flyers are looking for a defenseman that size, I want one who is incredibly abrasive and physical, which neither are. Yeah, they're physical in spurts, but not consistently. I want someone with a mean streak.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I wouldn't say far better. Myers had one season where he put up good numbers. Personally, if the Flyers are looking for a defenseman that size, I want one who is incredibly abrasive and physical, which neither are. Yeah, they're physical in spurts, but not consistently. I want someone with a mean streak.

Why is it important that big defenseman by nasty?

Honest question.

A big, mobile guy who uses his reach can be just as effective, if not more.

Big, mobile, nasty and puck skills = Chris Pronger, and he's a rare commodity.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA

i havent seen myers that much but what i have seen he looks like a ''big physical presence'' guy but cant speak for his mean streak... i really believe morin is gonna fit that bill down the road. my opinion-would be great to have both those guys.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If Myers could be had at a reasonable price I wouldn't mind. Schenn+ Schenn is too much regardless of what buffalo fans think. I wouldn't want to use Laughton either because I'm pretty high on him. I just feel we don't have the assets to get him without one of those two going. Maybe a deal around read for Myers. Not sure if buffalo does that

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
If Myers could be had at a reasonable price I wouldn't mind. Schenn+ Schenn is too much regardless of what buffalo fans think. I wouldn't want to use Laughton either because I'm pretty high on him. I just feel we don't have the assets to get him without one of those two going. Maybe a deal around read for Myers. Not sure if buffalo does that

I would do Schenn + Schenn for Myers + 2nd

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Why is it important that big defenseman by nasty?

Honest question.

A big, mobile guy who uses his reach can be just as effective, if not more.

Big, mobile, nasty and puck skills = Chris Pronger, and he's a rare commodity.

I'll answer the nasty defenseman. If you take a look at pretty much every Stanley Cup winner, there was always that hard nosed, tough defender out there that would make the opposition pay when they either got into the goaltender's crease or crossed the blue line. So whether it be Chris Pronger, Zdeno Chara, Scott Stevens, Adam Foote, Derian Hatcher, etc....there is always that type of defender on the blue line that keeps the opposition honest.

I look at the defenders in Philadelphia and there is nobody like that on the blue line. Get somebody with some snarl and some meanness behind them and that makes the blueline a much more tougher group to play against. They become a tougher group to play against, they get more space from the opposition. That's my reasoning for wanting someone big and mean and has a nasty disposition about them.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
I feel like I would much rather trade the schenns for Kane. I think it's revisited sooner or later. He brings exactly what we are looking for on the top line with speed, scoring, and physical play.

I would be okay with either Myers or Kane. I do like the idea of Coburn, Myers, and Morin though.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I don't want to include our 1st this year for almost any available player. Certainly not for Myers.

Agreed.

The only way that pick should come close to being in play is if we are talking about an established #1 defenseman or a nearly sure-fire one--and I don't think Nashville is taking our calls. :laugh:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd be up for a Cobrun/Myers swap (or even a Schenn(s)/Myers) swap, though I think the latter is an overpayment. Myers can play the minutes Coburn does, maybe not at the same level, but he's only 24. Still has time to grow. Not sure why the Sabres would make that trade though, seeing as how they are in a rebuild. Would make very little sense for them to trade a 24 year old on a reasonable contract for the next few years for a soon-to-be 30 year old whose contract expires next year.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I'd be up for a Cobrun/Myers swap (or even a Schenn(s)/Myers) swap, though I think the latter is an overpayment. Myers can play the minutes Coburn does, maybe not at the same level, but he's only 24. Still has time to grow. Not sure why the Sabres would make that trade though, seeing as how they are in a rebuild. Would make very little sense for them to trade a 24 year old on a reasonable contract for the next few years for a soon-to-be 30 year old whose contract expires next year.

Well according to Sabres fans, Myers is clearly a better player than Coburn.
IMO, that goes to show how bad everyone else on that team is.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Well according to Sabres fans, Myers is clearly a better player than Coburn.
IMO, that goes to show how bad everyone else on that team is.

It's funny how the team can barely compete and yet our pieces aren't worth much. I understand being unhappy about a return, but to say negative things about the player being offered is just silly. Schenn Brothers for Myers is definitely a fair trade. (Especially if the Larkin + Kindl rumors are true.)

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
It's funny how the team can barely compete and yet our pieces aren't worth much. I understand being unhappy about a return, but to say negative things about the player being offered is just silly. Schenn Brothers for Myers is definitely a fair trade. (Especially if the Larkin + Kindl rumors are true.)

There's a lot of reason to believe that Dreger misspoke or was unclear--everything that everyone else has said suggests BUF wanted a top prospect, a filler, and a 1st. If the BUF ask was Larkin + Kindl + 2015 1st, it becomes easier to understand why DET would turn it down.

Schenn is more valuable than Larkin, and L. Schenn is (slightly) more valuable than Kindl, but I wouldn't add a 1st or 2nd, and that's probably the end of discussions.

I'd rather see B. Schenn moved for a natural LW, or given time to adjust to the role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad