Friedman: Oilers, Flames have looked into Ekman-Larsson, many other teams also interested

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Seeing the edit, if that’s what you’d accept I’ll take it and run. Chiasson easily shipped off for a late pick, and we’d even be able to move Klef/Nurse afterwards for a Mcwinger.

I thought any OEL package would have to include Klef as a replacement on the roster and the fact that he’s worth a good bit more than a mid 1st. But I’ll take that trade any day even if there’s a risk with that big contract Chayka gave him last summer.
The edit has been there for two hours.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think the Subban to NJ is a good comparable. Roughly same age, both coming off 30 pt seasons, PK’s AAV was a bit higher but he only had 3 years left on that deal while OEL has 7. If he doesn’t bounce back it’s a huge risk.

Take into account at the time of the PK trade the league wasn’t heading into year 1 of a planned 3 season flat cap.

Then you toss in the fact that OEL’s actual salary over the next few years is 10.5M, that’s going to be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of ownership groups.

rt

May 13, 2004
I would consider the Oiler one if the pick was 2021, but this years pick just has to much value at 14 to move it out now and be left with 19 million on our left side. If it has to be 14 though we would include Chaisson as an additonal cap dump.

2020 1st-14, Samorukov Chaisson and Russell for OEL.
No chance. Scram!

rt

May 13, 2004
I think the Subban to NJ is a good comparable. Roughly same age, both coming off 30 pt seasons, PK’s AAV was a bit higher but he only had 3 years left on that deal while OEL has 7. If he doesn’t bounce back it’s a huge risk.

Take into account at the time of the PK trade the league wasn’t heading into year 1 of a planned 3 season flat cap.

Then you toss in the fact that OEL’s actual salary over the next few years is 10.5M, that’s going to be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of ownership groups.
One of the two was completely broken down physically. This is not even close to the same. You’re delusional and it’s annoying.

Reactions: JKG33

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
His contract is fugly. I’m very interested to see what he’ll go for. He’s still really good, at least in my mind, but I can’t think of many teams that would find that contract attractive enough to give up top assets, even with a dump.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I hope they didn't look inside too far, that is kinda gross!

giphy.gif

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Could you imagine a team where Toronto is paying Matthews 11.6, Tavares 11, Marner 10.9, Nylander 7, then OEL 8.25? That’s close to 49M for 5 guys. That’s all contracts who are over another 4 years, not even mentioning Reilly being a UFA in 2 years. Be absolutely insane.

Also to all those Leaf fans saying Nylander, did Dubas not just 2 years ago publicly claim that he promised Nylander they wouldn’t move him? I have a hard time seeing him go back on his word yet, I also have a hard time seeing AZ wanting to take that deal on.
It's literally one user saying Nylander. One guy.

Nylander has about 20 million left in cash on his contract over the next four years and just scored 30g in 70 games. There isn't a single team in the league that would be upset to have a 30g winger with a 7m cap hit, especially at a 5m cash hit. Especially in the covid cap world.

It's possible that Dubas would go back on his word to not trade Nylander, it's literally his job to make trades that make the team better, but trading for another LHD sure ain't it.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
There are reasons on and off the ice for his perceived decline. Teams have to be confident he'll bounce back to be trading for him.

Classic nothing of value HF trade proposal.
Klefbom, Samorukov, 14th and a 2nd is a nothing proposal? Lol.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
It's literally one user saying Nylander. One guy.

Nylander has about 20 million left in cash on his contract over the next four years and just scored 30g in 70 games. There isn't a single team in the league that would be upset to have a 30g winger with a 7m cap hit, especially at a 5m cash hit. Especially in the covid cap world.

It's possible that Dubas would go back on his word to not trade Nylander, it's literally his job to make trades that make the team better, but trading for another LHD sure ain't it.

Nylander is brought into every single thread of all time by Leaf fans, hard to act like “just one guy” says it. I didn’t even notice 1 guy said it, I just know that when you list all the massive contracts the Leafs have on HF, leaf fans always jump in and “ OH! Nylander is getting traded doesn’t matter!” Which Dubas has always maintained the contrary.

I also didn’t mean that Nylander at 7M is bad value, he obviously played well this past season, I meant that considering AZ has no money, and has to pay Keller 7.1, Schmaltz 5.85, Kessel 6.8, Stepan 6.5, Raanta 4.5 next season, why would they take on yet another big ticket who may or may not succeed there. Because you know how much Kessel and Hall have flourished in that system coming in as big scorers on better teams

If OEL is on the block, it would be to take back $, it’s going to be a strictly cap cutting move.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
His contract is fugly. I’m very interested to see what he’ll go for. He’s still really good, at least in my mind, but I can’t think of many teams that would find that contract attractive enough to give up top assets, even with a dump.

I can’t think of many teams who can even take that deal and be OK with it. Any contender can’t afford it, any rebuilder looks at it and thinks, “We have a few years left to rebuild, at which point OEL is likely playing under his $ amount, the only team I can see doing something is Calgary. They have their hands in everything since Treveling was hired, I could see them doing something for the sake of shaking up the team.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
No chance. Scram!
2 one year cap dumps to count against a 8.25 million dollar cap for a player with 7 more years until he is 36 years old? That doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. One of them is only 1.5 million real cash. I think your owner will be involved in this decision as he is already hemorrhaging cash, so 3.6 million in liability seems a tad bit less than 50 million dollars given where revenue looks to be going.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
1st, Poehling, Mete, Brook and Alzner with 1.2 retained And they buy out Alzner for 4.2 million total.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
One of the two was completely broken down physically. This is not even close to the same. You’re delusional and it’s annoying.

Oh yeah I forgot one guy was completely broken and one guy it’s the coaches fault, right.

OEL isn’t as big a risk of falling off a cliff as Subban was but he’s clearly starting to show some age. The risk with him is the fact his contract last another 7 years. The return in Subban was also greatly affected by the fact NJ didn’t send any money or cap dumps back. Nashville gained the whole 9M in space.

The return is really going to be affected by how much cap AZ is willing to take back.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Subban also has an (unfair) reputation around the league too, so that definitely limited his suitors.

rt

May 13, 2004
Oh yeah I forgot one guy was completely broken and one guy it’s the coaches fault, right.

OEL isn’t as big a risk of falling off a cliff as Subban was but he’s clearly starting to show some age. The risk with him is the fact his contract last another 7 years. The return in Subban was also greatly affected by the fact NJ didn’t send any money or cap dumps back. Nashville gained the whole 9M in space.

The return is really going to be affected by how much cap AZ is willing to take back.
If you used your eyeballs and set them on the two players you’d know the difference.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I only go for OEL if Giordano is traded. Can't have 15m tied to the both of them on the back end.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Yandle + 12th OA + Borgstrom?

I know Yandle still has 3yrs left under contract but arizona may be one of the few places he’d waive to go to.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Barring a major rebound, the stats going back two years seem to indicate OEL isn’t earning his pay, and will not be for a long, long time. He’s nothing special anymore and his cap hit is onerous.

Put him on a team that can generate offense and he’s right back to being a 50 - 60 point player. Bank on it.

Reactions: che and Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad