Friedman: Oilers, Flames have looked into Ekman-Larsson, many other teams also interested

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You guys really think OEL will return more than Subban? He's one year younger this summer than Subban was last summer but has 4 more years left than Subban had, going deep into his 30s which are considered bad years with almost all players. And similar to Subban, his mobility has already started tanking.

Arizona is probably in a similar situation as Nashville where they really want to unload salary. I don't know. You can never know what happens in this league but it seems like we would be looking at a similar trade in a best case scenario for Arizona.
Yes.

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Take out Crouse just so I can look at it. I can’t see anything past that.
My proposal was skewered as well, so I know what you are saying. My belief is Arizona needs to make these deals more than other teams in the covid cash crunch, so it will be interesting to see how the deal eventually goes down.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Update and breakdown...

Nylander + 1st

For

Ekman-Larsson + ?

Andersen + Dermott

For

Kuemper + Crouse

(Yes Kuemper has an extra year, but Andersen is only owed 1million in actual cash)

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Absolutely right. Not going to happen. Also, if OEL is going to waive his NMC, he’s probably only looking at playoff teams. I think we can remove Toronto from the discussion.
Got a real comedian here! He’s here all week!

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Absolutely right. Not going to happen. Also, if OEL is going to waive his NMC, he’s probably only looking at playoff teams. I think we can remove Toronto from the discussion.

Be nice now. Toronto is likely a playoff team for the foreseeable future and Endorsements there can be huge for a player. I hate them and their fans can be absolutely overbearing, but they do have a good core to compete.

Reactions: DougGilmour93

rt

May 13, 2004
My proposal was skewered as well, so I know what you are saying. My belief is Arizona needs to make these deals more than other teams in the covid cash crunch, so it will be interesting to see how the deal eventually goes down.
If I were laying down a bet on the trade return, I would guess it would be a 1st round pick, some secondary asset that's worth less than that pick, and a relatively inoffensive cap-dump (one which doesn't have more than a year or two left on it, and most of the cash is paid out already).

As a Coyotes fan, I hope all of this interest drives the price up from there, but that's roughly my expectation.

EDIT:

NOTE: 9/10 of my fellow Coyotes fans will disagree with me on this. But for me, someone with pretty low trade expectations, I'd offer these as examples of the minimum baseline for my expectations:

EDM'20 1st (14th), either Raphael Lavoie or Dimitri Samorukov, and Kris Russell.

CGY '20 1st (19th), Dillon Dubé, and Milan Lucic (with significant retention).

BOS'21 1st, Urho Vaakanainen, and Nick Ritchie and/or John Moore.

These aren't exactly equivalent but meant to represent more of the TYPE of thing I'd expect in a package. None of them are thrilling. Most Coyotes fans would be crushed with those returns. As long as we don't get less than that, I won't be rioting in the streets. None of them are appealing, though. More like the nasty medicine I know is coming.

rt

May 13, 2004
Be nice now. Toronto is likely a playoff team for the foreseeable future and Endorsements there can be huge for a player. I hate them and their fans can be absolutely overbearing, but they do have a good core to compete.
I don’t see it. I’ve been a fan of a wildly dysfunctional carnival side show of a team since 1996. We can smell our own. Toronto is a mess.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
There are reasons on and off the ice for his perceived decline. Teams have to be confident he'll bounce back to be trading for him.

Classic nothing of value HF trade proposal.

What the hell? Klefbom has plenty of value with that contract and there was a 2021 1st in there as well although Neal offsets that obviously. I also have a feeling that dealing Samorukov could make the Oilers look stupid.

You have to face the fact that OEL didn't have the value he used to have and now has a big contract attached to him so you're bound to be disappointed with a potential return if you expect much more than the proposals in this thread.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Update and breakdown...

Nylander + 1st

For

Ekman-Larsson + ?

Andersen + Dermott

For

Kuemper + Crouse

(Yes Kuemper has an extra year, but Andersen is only owed 1million in actual cash)

In deal one I don't think there is enough cash savings unless the plus is something unattractive.

Deal two is a lateral move for Arizona, so I am not sure why they don't just keep the better goalie and good young power forward.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
In deal one I don't think there is enough cash savings unless the plus is something unattractive.

Deal two is a lateral move for Arizona, so I am not sure why they don't just keep the better goalie and good young power forward.
I’m not entirely sure what the ? would be in the first deal but it would be something decent. (Not groundbreaking)

The second part just helps even things out. Kuemper, although has seen success the last few seasons is no way better than Andersen. Currently as good, perhaps.

I’d much rather hold onto Freddie as I feel he is a top 10 goalie in the league and could be better if he actually had a dependable defense.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I don’t see it. I’ve been a fan of a wildly dysfunctional carnival side show of a team since 1996. We can smell our own. Toronto is a mess.

It doesn't mean OEL won't say yes to a move there though.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If I were laying down a bet on the trade return, I would guess it would be a 1st round pick, some secondary asset that's worth less than that pick, and a relatively inoffensive cap-dump (one which doesn't have more than a year or two left on it, and most of the cash is paid out already).

As a Coyotes fan, I hope all of this interest drives the price up from there, but that's roughly my expectation.

EDIT:

NOTE: 9/10 of my fellow Coyotes fans will disagree with me on this. But for me, someone with pretty low trade expectations, I'd offer these as examples of the minimum baseline for my expectations:

EDM'20 1st (14th), either Raphael Lavoie or Dimitri Samorukov, and Kris Russell.

These aren't exactly equivalent but meant to represent more of the TYPE of thing I'd expect in a package. None of them are thrilling. Most Coyotes fans would be crushed with those returns. As long as we don't get less than that, I won't be rioting in the streets. None of them are appealing, though. More like the nasty medicine I know is coming.

Wait, you'd do EDM 1st, Lavoie and Russell?

Done deal. Holland can dump salary afterwards.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Barring a major rebound, the stats going back two years seem to indicate OEL isn’t earning his pay, and will not be for a long, long time. He’s nothing special anymore and his cap hit is onerous.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Could you imagine a team where Toronto is paying Matthews 11.6, Tavares 11, Marner 10.9, Nylander 7, then OEL 8.25? That’s close to 49M for 5 guys. That’s all contracts who are over another 4 years, not even mentioning Reilly being a UFA in 2 years. Be absolutely insane.

Also to all those Leaf fans saying Nylander, did Dubas not just 2 years ago publicly claim that he promised Nylander they wouldn’t move him? I have a hard time seeing him go back on his word yet, I also have a hard time seeing AZ wanting to take that deal on.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

EDIT:

I would consider the Oiler one if the pick was 2021, but this years pick just has to much value at 14 to move it out now and be left with 19 million on our left side. If it has to be 14 though we would include Chaisson as an additonal cap dump.

2020 1st-14, Samorukov Chaisson and Russell for OEL.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Could you imagine a team where Toronto is paying Matthews 11.6, Tavares 11, Marner 10.9, Nylander 7, then OEL 8.25? That’s close to 49M for 5 guys. That’s all contracts who are over another 4 years, not even mentioning Reilly being a UFA in 2 years. Be absolutely insane.

Also to all those Leaf fans saying Nylander, did Dubas not just 2 years ago publicly claim that he promised Nylander they wouldn’t move him? I have a hard time seeing him go back on his word yet, I also have a hard time seeing AZ wanting to take that deal on.
that is on top of having they need a RD not a LD. I think Toronto is a bad choice, but if they want something they usually figure out how to get it.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

EDIT:

Seeing the edit, if that’s what you’d accept I’ll take it and run. Chiasson easily shipped off for a late pick, and we’d even be able to move Klef/Nurse afterwards for a Mcwinger.

I thought any OEL package would have to include Klef as a replacement on the roster and the fact that he’s worth a good bit more than a mid 1st. But I’ll take that trade any day even if there’s a risk with that big contract Chayka gave him last summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad