Friedman: Oilers, Flames have looked into Ekman-Larsson, many other teams also interested

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I really don't see how it make's sense for Calgary.

Gio's gotta be part of the trade, which i assume Arizona would flip to a contender or something.

Dube is a no go.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I was thinking a proposal for the Kings who could use a 1PMD and a LHD to boot, plus we have a young LHD PMD coming up who could use mentoring and a young, Swedish LHD who could use work on his offensive game. We can fit that cap hit in right now.

Then I looked up his cap numbers and oof, that term...forget it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I fully expect it OEL comes to Calgary, Hanifin is going the other way. I would be thrilled if the money going to AZ was Lucic.

Maybe 1st round pick, Kylington, Mangiapane and Lucic?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I dunno, in 2016-2017 everyone around here said there's no way in hell they'd do it.
That year at the draft OEL was coming off back to back 20+ goal seasons while being solid in his own zone and Matthews hadn't played a game...

Reactions: Mosby

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I only go for OEL if Giordano is traded. Can't have 15m tied to the both of them on the back end.

Different pairings. One of those guys on the ice for ~50 mins of a game should be appealing. And OEL can be a succession plan to Gio in two years time if the younger guys don't take the next steps.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yandle + 12th OA + Borgstrom?

I know Yandle still has 3yrs left under contract but arizona may be one of the few places he’d waive to go to.

Decent but I don't think OEL would go to Florida. I think part of his motivation is to get away from Rick Tocchet, but part of it is also to go to a more competitive team, and the Panthers are really no different than the current state of the Coyotes in that regard.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Decent but I don't think OEL would go to Florida. I think part of his motivation is to get away from Rick Tocchet, but part of it is also to go to a more competitive team, and the Panthers are really no different than the current state of the Coyotes in that regard.
Fair enough: I’d argue that with OEL, we would be a competitive team but makes sense!

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If I were laying down a bet on the trade return, I would guess it would be a 1st round pick, some secondary asset that's worth less than that pick, and a relatively inoffensive cap-dump (one which doesn't have more than a year or two left on it, and most of the cash is paid out already).

As a Coyotes fan, I hope all of this interest drives the price up from there, but that's roughly my expectation.

EDIT:

NOTE: 9/10 of my fellow Coyotes fans will disagree with me on this. But for me, someone with pretty low trade expectations, I'd offer these as examples of the minimum baseline for my expectations:

EDM'20 1st (14th), either Raphael Lavoie or Dimitri Samorukov, and Kris Russell.

CGY '20 1st (19th), Dillon Dubé, and Milan Lucic (with significant retention).

BOS'21 1st, Urho Vaakanainen, and Nick Ritchie and/or John Moore.

These aren't exactly equivalent but meant to represent more of the TYPE of thing I'd expect in a package. None of them are thrilling. Most Coyotes fans would be crushed with those returns. As long as we don't get less than that, I won't be rioting in the streets. None of them are appealing, though. More like the nasty medicine I know is coming.
Really don’t see OEL landing that much

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I fully expect it OEL comes to Calgary, Hanifin is going the other way. I would be thrilled if the money going to AZ was Lucic.

Maybe 1st round pick, Kylington, Mangiapane and Lucic?

I think it's definitely Hanifin. Fair to say he hasn't really worked in Calgary? Kinda the same situation as Hamilton?

Besides, Gio, OEL, and Hanifin down the left side would be overkill and stupidly expensive.

How would Flames fans feel about Hanifin and 1st (2020 or 2021) for OEL?

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
I think Gio +
Or maybe Hanifin + 1st + Lucic for OEL
Or maybe a OEL + Keller for Gaudreau + Hanifin type deal where one position is upgraded and degraded at the same time (just off the top of the head not really any thought put into this one)

But as others have stated I think with the recent playoff performance of Dube they hang onto him and giving up a ton of young players + to add to the left side defensively doesn't make sense expecially given the Flames already have Gio, Hanifin, Valimaki and Kylington on the left side. Swapping Hanifin and a first + Lucic around 10m in cap for OEL which saves them a few million and getting an upgrade on that top 4 LD slot makes sense with them going into the FA with a need to fill a top 4 RD slot and Rumors of Hall floating around but I think this type of move only happens if the Flames brass feels the back end needs a shake up and I'm not exactly sure where they sit on that.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think it's definitely Hanifin. Fair to say he hasn't really worked in Calgary? Kinda the same situation as Hamilton?

Besides, Gio, OEL, and Hanifin down the left side would be overkill and stupidly expensive.

How would Flames fans feel about Hanifin and 1st (2020 or 2021) for OEL?

If Hanifin and our 1st were on the table, is Lucic a possibility to include?

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
I feel like this should be a case of buyer beware. He’s got a massive contract, and his underlying stats these past few years have been pretty terrible.

Maybe I’m wrong but it seems as though some team is going to majorly over pay for him.

Tochett is a terrible coach and has neutered his thorough bred. The environment is much more of a problem than the player

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don’t see it. I’ve been a fan of a wildly dysfunctional carnival side show of a team since 1996. We can smell our own. Toronto is a mess.

Toronto has to retool some things for sure namely the bottom 6 but they are not a mess.

Imagine not having a pick in the first 3 rounds of this coming draft. and then not having your 1st, and 3rd, possibly your 1st and 2nd next year on top of that.

in order to fix that problem you basically need to gut your roster AND you have to do it in a world where a lot of NHL teams have an internal cap, yourself included because there is a world wide situation.

That team would be a mess

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Toronto has to retool some things for sure namely the bottom 6 but they are not a mess.

Imagine not having a pick in the first 3 rounds of this coming draft. and then not having your 1st, and 3rd, possibly your 1st and 2nd next year on top of that.

in order to fix that problem you basically need to gut your roster AND you have to do it in a world where a lot of NHL teams have an internal cap, yourself included because there is a world wide situation.

That team would be a mess
And here we see another hallmark. Thanks for repeating what I already said. Delusion is a hell of a drug.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
What about this from the oilers?

To Edm: Stepan, OEL

To Arizona: Klefbom, Neal, Samorukov, 2021-1st and 2021-3rd
God no!

Aquire a defenseman, loosing two of them.
Pick one of them. throw in benson if you want

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
If I were laying down a bet on the trade return, I would guess it would be a 1st round pick, some secondary asset that's worth less than that pick, and a relatively inoffensive cap-dump (one which doesn't have more than a year or two left on it, and most of the cash is paid out already).

As a Coyotes fan, I hope all of this interest drives the price up from there, but that's roughly my expectation.

EDIT:

NOTE: 9/10 of my fellow Coyotes fans will disagree with me on this. But for me, someone with pretty low trade expectations, I'd offer these as examples of the minimum baseline for my expectations:

EDM'20 1st (14th), either Raphael Lavoie or Dimitri Samorukov, and Kris Russell.

CGY '20 1st (19th), Dillon Dubé, and Milan Lucic (with significant retention).

BOS'21 1st, Urho Vaakanainen, and Nick Ritchie and/or John Moore.

These aren't exactly equivalent but meant to represent more of the TYPE of thing I'd expect in a package. None of them are thrilling. Most Coyotes fans would be crushed with those returns. As long as we don't get less than that, I won't be rioting in the streets. None of them are appealing, though. More like the nasty medicine I know is coming.

I think you are being a bit pessimistic. I'd drop Russell and raise you one Klefbom ($4M for 3 more years and 80% of the on-ice performance of OEL) and likely drop the value of the prospect a notch or two.

Carole Raskins

Jun 25, 2020
Can’t quite figure out how OEL requires a first and/ or top prospects to acquire. Arizona is looking to shed salary and have no 1st round picks this year or next. So why would a team give up a first and prospects to help another team relieve their cap stresses. If anything Arizona should be throwing in a sweetener to get rid of that contract.

Reactions: CF84

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
You don't move one of your best players to cut budget. There are far better ways to do that. Moving OEL has nothing to do with budget.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad