Friedman: Oilers, Flames have looked into Ekman-Larsson, many other teams also interested

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Can’t quite figure out how OEL requires a first and/ or top prospects to acquire. Arizona is looking to shed salary and have no 1st round picks this year or next. So why would a team give up a first and prospects to help another team relieve their cap stresses. If anything Arizona should be throwing in a sweetener to get rid of that contract.
There have been several explanations of this...the Coyotes don't have to trade OEL for $ reasons. They have a ton of cap coming off the books in a season.

Trading OEL is about changing the culture of the team. Coach Tocchet is not a good fit and OEL - who has a NMC - has (reportedly) suggested he is open to a trade. A team acquiring him is looking to get better NOW. The Coyotes are once again in rebuild mode.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
OEl is sick, and is far from havin negative value. Hes basically been 1-2 with Hedman on all swedish national/olympic teams etc. Anytime hes away from Arizona he looks like a superstar. All depends on how the pro-scouts on a given team have him ranked. Treliving has shown he likes to go back to the PHX well, and OEL was an absolute beast when he was there. He is still a top pair guy. His contract hurts, but hes only 29. I doubt PHX is willing to take back any salary as they are a broke ass team, so theyd likely want a first round pick and a decently priced roster player to replace.

Dare i say :

OEL, **negotiating rights to Hall**

for

Hanifin + 19th overall.

Or Hanifin + 2nd 2020, 2nd 2021?

I really dont see how the money works after that on CGY end, would take some juggling. I would assume that by targeting OEL via trade that would mean Hall is Plan B.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
OEl is sick, and is far from havin negative value. Hes basically been 1-2 with Hedman on all swedish national/olympic teams etc. Anytime hes away from Arizona he looks like a superstar. All depends on how the pro-scouts on a given team have him ranked. Treliving has shown he likes to go back to the PHX well, and OEL was an absolute beast when he was there. He is still a top pair guy. His contract hurts, but hes only 29. I doubt PHX is willing to take back any salary as they are a broke ass team, so theyd likely want a first round pick and a decently priced roster player to replace.

Dare i say :

OEL, **negotiating rights to Hall**

for

Hanifin + 19th overall.

Or Hanifin + 2nd 2020, 2nd 2021?

I really dont see how the money works after that on CGY end, would take some juggling. I would assume that by targeting OEL via trade that would mean Hall is Plan B.

If Calgary wants to add a player of that calibre, it's Hall OR OEL, not both (and I kinda want Hall). If we want Kuemper, then it's Kuemper/Rittich because we're sending Rittich to a sports psychologist and I'm not convinced with that tandem. No idea if the salary difference between Kuemper and Talbot would be important due to Treliving's other potential moves too.

Hanifin is the most logical piece so we don't have 5 NHL LD in our system, have salary to make it work and is an asset that can possibly pique the Yotes interest. Yotes are definitely not retaining salary for 7 years. They're more likely to take an asset to take Lucic and even that is a slim chance.

Treliving likes going back to the Arizona well because he still has an employee discount. If we pull off a deal for OEL, Yotes fans are likely going to be livid at the return or resigning to the idea a scorched earth rebuild will take place. I have no doubt that the "reasonable predictions of what Treliving would offer" would be laughed at by Yotes fans (so I won't heavily try) and most likely other clubs will offer more. I also am not fully certain Treliving would be interested in OEL unless the NMC could be completely voided or significantly modified down to a limited NTC for which OEL likely wouldn't agree to it unless there is some insane desperation to get out.

If Hanifin plus something moderate like Kylington/Ryan isn't enough for OEL, I don't think a trade transpires. I definitely don't think the 1st or Dube are in play unless the Yotes pony up additional pieces that are super interesting and make us sure fire Western favourites for contention (a tall order). Treliving and Burke didn't like Chayka for rumors he supposedly made about Hamilton and the current group doesn't really have much leverage to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad