Friedman: Oilers, Flames have looked into Ekman-Larsson, many other teams also interested

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Figured it makes sense to have a more all-purpose OEL thread.

Note that OEL has a NMC so he gets to pick where he goes.

Alberta teams have an obvious connection to OEL. Edmonton is Tippett and Calgary is Treliving/Maloney, all of whom previously worked in AZ.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Figured it makes sense to have a more all-purpose OEL thread.

Note that OEL has a NMC so he gets to pick where he goes.

Alberta teams have an obvious connection to OEL. Edmonton is Tippett and Calgary is Treliving/Maloney, all of whom previously worked in AZ.

If I were laying down a bet on the trade return, I would guess it would be a 1st round pick, some secondary asset that's worth less than that pick, and a relatively inoffensive cap-dump (one which doesn't have more than a year or two left on it, and most of the cash is paid out already).

As a Coyotes fan, I hope all of this interest drives the price up from there, but that's roughly my expectation.

EDIT:

NOTE: 9/10 of my fellow Coyotes fans will disagree with me on this. But for me, someone with pretty low trade expectations, I'd offer these as examples of the minimum baseline for my expectations:

EDM'20 1st (14th), either Raphael Lavoie or Dimitri Samorukov, and Kris Russell.

CGY '20 1st (19th), Dillon Dubé, and Milan Lucic (with significant retention).

BOS'21 1st, Urho Vaakanainen, and Nick Ritchie and/or John Moore.

These aren't exactly equivalent but meant to represent more of the TYPE of thing I'd expect in a package. None of them are thrilling. Most Coyotes fans would be crushed with those returns. As long as we don't get less than that, I won't be rioting in the streets. None of them are appealing, though. More like the nasty medicine I know is coming.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If I were laying down a bet on the trade return, I would guess it would be a 1st round pick, some secondary asset that's worth less than that pick, and a relatively inoffensive cap-dump (one which doesn't have more than a year or two left on it, and most of the cash is paid out already).

As a Coyotes fan, I hope all of this interest drives the price up from there, but that's roughly my expectation.

Russell could be the cap dump.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I feel like this should be a case of buyer beware. He’s got a massive contract, and his underlying stats these past few years have been pretty terrible.

Maybe I’m wrong but it seems as though some team is going to majorly over pay for him.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

What about this from the oilers?

To Edm: Stepan, OEL

To Arizona: Klefbom, Neal, Samorukov, 2021-1st and 2021-3rd

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I feel like this should be a case of buyer beware. He’s got a massive contract, and his underlying stats these past few years have been pretty terrible.

Maybe I’m wrong but it seems as though some team is going to majorly over pay for him.

There are reasons on and off the ice for his perceived decline. Teams have to be confident he'll bounce back to be trading for him.

What about this from the oilers?

To Edm: Stepan, OEL

To Arizona: Klefbom, Neal, Samorukov, 2021-1st and 2021-3rd

Classic nothing of value HF trade proposal.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I dont get why the flames want OEL? Big contract and nearing 30? Still a top pairing guy but hes gonna get worse over the next few years.

They have Hanafin a good number 4 with top pairing potential if he ever puts it together

Valimaki pre injury looked like a easy top 4 LHD with top pairing potential.

Giordano while older and regressed this year still is a really solid 2/3 guy and should he a top 4 for another couple years.

I dont see OEL making a difference for the flames. They need to upgrade their center depth. Monahan needs to be the 2C with a 1C better than him playing with Gaudreau

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
His contract is pretty horrible tbh. Teams know that and I think the return is gonna be pretty underwhelming considering the flat cap and his decline in previous years.

But, I’d be willing to bet on a bounce back playing under Tippett again and behind McDrai. All depends on what we have to give up. I’d be comfortable giving up something like Klefbom + Russel + b prospect. Or a 1st + Russel + Chiasson + Pulju or something. Yotes save money with both deals and pick up either a good replacement dman or a 1st that they need.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Ah yes, a 27 year old #2/3d signed for just over 4m for the next 3 years has no value. Especially in a flat cap world and packaged with a 1st. Smart!!!

You're upgrading Klefbom and ditching the Neal contract, plus putting in what will almost assuredly be a later first and a prospect that's surplus to the Oilers. It's a pile of value that doesn't consider what AZ would want.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
You're upgrading Klefbom and ditching the Neal contract, plus putting in what will almost assuredly be a later first and a prospect that's surplus to the Oilers. It's a pile of value that doesn't consider what AZ would want.
Well clearly that proposal was out to lunch because a team desperately trying to shed money probably won’t take Neal back and won’t trade their only legit centerman. Not that we have any use for a Stepan anyway having the best 1-2 centers in the league...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I disagree. I think OEL's biggest problem the last three years is the same problem that most of the Coyotes players have had the last three years: the coaching staff. I fully expect that once OEL is free of this coaching staff, he's going to explode. Especially if it's via a trade to a talented team.

I think your assertion that a team will "majorly over pay for him" is close to the truth, but not the whole truth. I think a more accurate statement would be that "HFBoards is going to consider the trade a major overpayment this off-season but by next off-season will consider it a huge steal".

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Nylander + Dermott + Liljegren + Andersen + 4th + 6th in 20

For

Crouse + Ekman-Larsson + Kuemper

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'd like to see the Flyers get in on OEL. Would Yotes fans be interested in something around Gostisbehere and Laughton?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
You guys really think OEL will return more than Subban? He's one year younger this summer than Subban was last summer but has 4 more years left than Subban had, going deep into his 30s which are considered bad years with almost all players. And similar to Subban, his mobility has already started tanking.

Arizona is probably in a similar situation as Nashville where they really want to unload salary. I don't know. You can never know what happens in this league but it seems like we would be looking at a similar trade in a best case scenario for Arizona.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Just to reiterate the trade we talked about before:

Yandle (~50 point powerplay defenseman who is a probably best on third pairing)
Connolly (20 goal scorer roughly on 2nd or 3rd line)
1st

for OEL

If need be, we would include a 2nd, but it looks like most teams are offering less?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Well clearly that proposal was out to lunch because a team desperately trying to shed money probably won’t take Neal back and won’t trade their only legit centerman. Not that we have any use for a Stepan anyway having the best 1-2 centers in the league...

There is no deal where the Coyotes save money this year. OEL has his bonus paid already so even Klefbom is even money this year. I will revise it to take out Neal but Russell has to go in or there is just no hope of a deal.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Ekman-Larsson seems like a guy with enough talent to benefit big time from a change of scenery. I understand the interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad