Oilers fall 3-1

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I'm not as bothered by this loss as some people are. It's not like we're going to beat Colorado every time we play them.

Lots of people not showing Colorado enough respect. They're in about the same place as we are as an organization. Young core, not much for vets outside of Hejduk, questionable young goaltending, etc. There's not much separating the two teams right now.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Lots of people not showing Colorado enough respect. They're in about the same place as we are as an organization. Young core, not much for vets outside of Hejduk, questionable young goaltending, etc. There's not much separating the two teams right now.

The Avs were 11th last year and only 2 points out of 9th. And I think Parenteau is a solid pickup, if a tiny bit overpaid.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
The Avs were 11th last year and only 2 points out of 9th. And I think Parenteau is a solid pickup, if a tiny bit overpaid.

It's not about where Colorado is as a franchise, it's that 4 of their top 6 weren't playing today. We have no excuses to lose a game to a weaker team who was THAT depleted. If the Oilers take themselves seriously, they have to come to play every night, that's what good teams do.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Maybe you missed some of their lineup trouble.

Avalanche fans are a little sour with the start this season (if you could not tell by their lineup). They're missing their entire 1st line from last season (Landeskog - Probably concussion; O'Reilly - RFA Holdout; Downie - Knee Injury)

I have little respect for the current AV's lineup who will certainly miss the playoffs this year. I would bet on it. If the Oilers have trouble with this nature of club they'll be hardpressed to make it as well.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005

I have little respect for the current AV's lineup who will certainly miss the playoffs this year. I would bet on it. If the Oilers have trouble with this nature of club they'll be hardpressed to make it as well.

I seem to remember Chicago having some problems with the lowly Oilers. If this last game becomes a trend, it's a problem, but one game to Colorado for a young and learning club is nothing to jump off of the ledge over. Crap happens, and great teams lose to pitiful clubs that have no business competing. Edmonton's not a great team yet, they are going to sometimes lose to poor teams too.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Teams sometimes play BETTER when they are depleted by injuries... at least for short stretches.

You can't say a team will be a guaranteed pushover when they have several players missing.

I distinctly remember the Oilers winning some games a couple years back when they had a ****** lineup AND were decimated by injuries... and they still won vs some decent teams. Sometimes it's just not your night no matter what... the hockey gods sometimes smile on teams who have had crap luck. The Avs just might reel off a bunch of losses in a row now but in this game fate was a factor as well.

Look at how the Oilers decimated Chicago last year on several occasions. Were the Blackhawks really that bad and were the Oilers really that good? Nope... but luck and fate was on their side and that's how it goes sometimes.

Sometimes everything you shoot goes in and other games you can't buy a goal even when given umpteen golden chances.

WeridAl

YuckaFlux
Jan 30, 2012
10ft of Snow
There is nothing to whine about, if someone told me that the Oilers would be above .500 at this point, I would of told them their full of it. They have played some tough teams and held their own, nothing to be ashamed about. The Oilers have not only had to battle against the opposing teams, but bad officiating as well.

There are some things need to be fix right away, and that is the poor play of Whitney and Potter, rather see Teubert and Marincin up here and watch those two play. Whitney was almost comical in his bad play, and needs to sat out to reassess his career.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You're better than that. At least I thought you were based on your posts on the Avs board.

Don't look at the clock on the screen. Listen to the whistle and buzzer in the arena because that's all Duchene has to tell him it's over...

Whistle was around the same time and the buzzer clearly sounded after Duchene had already shot the puck.

Good game. Take care.

Watching it live I saw the time and knew that the game was over, watching it back there was no time left on the clock when he hit the red line but the horn didn't go until afterward, seeing the replay and more importantly listening to it I take back my comment. That said I still liked to see Nail take offense, it's nice seeing a player get pissed at losing instead of accepting it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Where was Yak when Whitney was getting filled in at the end of the Phoenix game? Didnt want anything to do with that situ, odd how he went after Deuchene tonight though.

Whitney was the bigger guy for one thing so I don't think that Nail should feel the need to wipe Whitney's ass when he's getting picked on by a guy that he has 4" on. It's not like Nail was picking on a much smaller guy, Duchene is a strong kid and has a number of years on him as well.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It's not about where Colorado is as a franchise, it's that 4 of their top 6 weren't playing today. We have no excuses to lose a game to a weaker team who was THAT depleted. If the Oilers take themselves seriously, they have to come to play every night, that's what good teams do.

Don't mean to intrude, but really would only say 3 of the top 6. Jones has been a black hole this season, and with the way Sgarbossa has been playing, it's more like addition by subtraction. Jones get paid as a top 6, but most of us were neutral or disliked the resigning.

Anyways, Oilers really should've had this early. We have 2 top 4 defenseman and 4 bottom 6 so i'm not surprised at the chances, what was it... 4 clean cross creases in the 1st?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The Oilers are not a good team yet and that's what i meant earlier in the thread by managing expectations. Inexperienced, unbalanced teams will have games like this. I knew that they would struggle in this game, i called a 4-1 loss in which they would struggle. They never play well in that building and the Avs have the type of team with a physical, fast forecheck that i could see giving a weary Oiler team fits.

My point is that this is a team that still has a ways to go but is improving so it's best not to get too high during the good moments and not too low during the bad moments because there will be a lot of both this season. The key is for them to improve as the season goes along and not regress. Making the playoffs would be a huge bonus with this group. If they even finish .500, that's a pretty significant step forward and i would expect Tambellini to make the necessary upgrades to push for the playoffs next season.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver

I'm fully aware of their situation. Still not a team to take lightly, they still have solid players in their lineup.

Really we should respect every team in the league and not blow things out of proportion because of one loss. We blew out some great teams in the last couple years. Do you think they took us too lightly? Do you think their fans freaked out after they lost to a bad team?

Krueger was saying recently that we're in a position now to look teams in the eye instead of looking up at them. I think we need to be careful not to look down on teams.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm fully aware of their situation. Still not a team to take lightly, they still have solid players in their lineup.

Really we should respect every team in the league and not blow things out of proportion because of one loss. We blew out some great teams in the last couple years. Do you think they took us too lightly? Do you think their fans freaked out after they lost to a bad team?

Krueger was saying recently that we're in a position now to look teams in the eye instead of looking up at them. I think we need to be careful not to look down on teams.

The Oilers just DID look down on the AV's. Which is a large part of the reason they lost.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Apparently we have a "woe is us" complex. This team really needs to get good... and fast. I'm sick of this crap.

Yup. It's nice to see unwarranted threads about non-issues, and bash threads with garbage posts in them about how we play the victim card all the time. My favorite part is when people will actually bash our fanbase while they tell us we're making things up. I hate seeing anything Oiler related on main boards now, just the same old garbage.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Right now we are sitting with:

Gagner ---9 pts in 8 game ---------92 pts/82 games
Hall ---9 pts in 8 game ---------92 pts/82 games
Eberle ---7 pts in 8 game ---------72 pts/82 games
Yakupov ---6 pts in 8 game ---------62 pts/82 games
Scultz ---7 pts in 8 game ---------52 pts/82 games
Nuge ---7 pts in 8 game ---------52 pts/82 games

And people are panicking that these guys can't score.

Sure it is true that Nuge is in a goal scoring drought. But it's not like he is not getting chances. But he is also playing a very good two-way game against the best forwrads and defenders the WC has to offer.

After 8 games in with a pretty tough schedule, the team is sitting in a playoff spot and is 1 point out of the division lead. I will be thrilled if this team makes the playoffs this year. BUt I don't really expect it. So far it looks to me like there have been a lot more positives than negatives.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007

Sure it is true that Nuge is in a goal scoring drought. But it's not like he is not getting chances. But he is also playing a very good two-way game against the best forwrads and defenders the WC has to offer.

After 8 games in with a pretty tough schedule, the team is sitting in a playoff spot and is 1 point out of the division lead. I will be thrilled if this team makes the playoffs this year. BUt I don't really expect it. So far it looks to me like there have been a lot more positives than negatives.

are projections accurate after 8 games? I'm going to say no...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
are projections accurate after 8 games? I'm going to say no...

That's not the point. They are putting up points despite what people on here seem to think. HOw many goals do we expect these guys to score.

Would I like to see more at ES, yes. But PP goals count too, especially when it is the first two lines drawing almost all the penalties as well.

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
any way you look at it it's depressing to lose to teams that you have to beat to make the playoffs.

Oilers are improved but they still don't have the overpowering instinct and skill to take it to the next level. Hopefully one day everything will click and fall in to place. At least Dubnyk seems to be turning that corner.

Also, it is not out of the realm of possibility that the team will stagnate and just be slightly above average for the next 10 years too.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant

Math is fun.

You know it's only a 48 game season, right?

Might as well make some career predictions while you're at it.

Gagner 736 pts in next 8 seasons.
Hall 736 pts in next 8 seasons.
Eberle 576 pts in next 8 seasons.
Yaks 496 pts in next 8 seasons.
Nuge and Schutz 416 pts each in next 8 seasons.

:shakehead

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That's not the point. They are putting up points despite what people on here seem to think. HOw many goals do we expect these guys to score.

Would I like to see more at ES, yes. But PP goals count too, especially when it is the first two lines drawing almost all the penalties as well.

There was no point in making projections which hold no meaning. Nobody is expecting that pts rate to be sustained. Lets note as well that we have two rookie NHL ringers busting out of the gate with unprecedented enthusiasm and who are largely wildcards to opponents who haven't seen them play.

Next, we know that the Oilers would hold a significant advantage over the first dozen games or so as most of their lineup had been already playing and had their first unit playing alongside each other all season. So yeah, the first unit forwards should be flying out of the gate. As it is they have 5 goals among them, Mostly through the superlative play of J Schultz who has sported a fantastic debut. Two number one draftpicks are snakebit when it comes to scoring goals. 2goals in 8 GP by the pair isn't cutting it. Especially in a stretch where we HAVE to be making hay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad