Oilers fall 3-1

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
It's actually right on that page you linked. ;)

It looks like we're dead even with the Red Wings even down to the fourth point in the tie-break procedure.

I can read but I don't see anything on there that puts them ahead. If point 4 for is goal differential since the Oilers are -1 and Detroit is -2, I would think the Oilers should be ahead.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Well if my understanding of the rules is right. Detroit is actually a -1 in goal differential due to winning a shoot out and not losing one, the exact same as Edmonton's. So they are actually tied in the standings after all the tie breakers. My guess is D comes before E so they put Detroit above Edmonton. Wouldn't worry about it by the end of season they still shouldn't be tied.

No you receive a +1 in GF if you win a shootout and a +1 in GA if you lose one, you don't calculate that after the fact.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I can read but I don't see anything on there that puts them ahead. If point 4 for is goal differential since the Oilers are -1 and Detroit is -2, I would think the Oilers should be ahead.

Not that it really matters at this early stage of the season... but yes the Oilers should be in 6th right now... plus they've only played 3 home games whereas Detroit has played 4 and Minny has played 5 on home ice.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
No you receive a +1 in GF if you win a shootout and a +1 in GA if you lose one, you don't calculate that after the fact.

Are you sure about that? It would throw off the actual goal differential stats, and I believe they only count the shootouts for the tie breaking procedure and not the actual differential stats.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Are you sure about that? It would throw off the actual goal differential stats, and I believe they only count the shootouts for the tie breaking procedure and not the actual differential stats.

If you add up the scores (including the SO game's total score) you get 20 for GF and 21 for GA; the same numbers under GF and GA on nhl.com

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If you add up the scores (including the SO game's total score) you get 20 for GF and 21 for GA; the same numbers under GF and GA on nhl.com

Just seen that, hmm NHL must have screwed up.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
In a 48 GP season any "few losses' is the difference between making the playoffs and not. We had a chance of a 5pt gap between Oilers/AV's. We end up with one point. We lost a 4 point game with a divisional rival and gave them much needed confidence playing against us in the remaining 3 games in the set. Sounds like a bad idea.
They aren't going to win them all so which games are the OK or excusable ones to lose then. As long as the losses don't become losing streaks and as long as the team can reflect and learn from mistakes then why panick now. I'd rather them lose a few now than down the stretch, it exposes the dead weight and allows changes to be made if need be. The SJ game was a close game we almost won and we aren't the only team to be rope a doped by the Av's. The Oilers don't need another hot start, they need to win at a higher pct. all season long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad