Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 4-3 (Horvat, Myers, Pettersson)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Imagine if we didn't luck into the covid playoffs and had to give Tampa our 1st this year.

Though if Benning and Weisbrod are running the draft now there's probably a really good chance they mess it up... unless coincidentally there's a really good college player to be had.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It would have nice to have our scoring guys get some time on the PK. While the Sedins were never fixtures on the penalty kill, I do remember them getting a couple shifts each game especially if we were down. Would have been helpful to have some guys who have some hope to score playing late

Green's babying of our star players, over reliance of crappy veteran role players and lack of trust for anybody under the age of 27 who is not a star (I'm calling a Hoglander benching any day now) is going to send this franchise back years

Green ain’t gonna be on this team for long.
Tonight was evident he has no coaching system, that’s two games in a row the Canucks f***ed up the lead....

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Should really start kicking tires on Pearson's contract. If it's going to be bad, at least you can start shopping him early for the deadline.

We know how this group... needs more time to do these things.
I’ll be really disappointed if he is re-signed. What does he even bring to this team. Any multi year deal on him is going to be brutal. This guy already skates in mud.

Reactions: geebaan and bh53

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Should really start kicking tires on Pearson's contract. If it's going to be bad, at least you can start shopping him early for the deadline.

We know how this group... needs more time to get these things done as seen last Free Agency and trying to trade Dan Hamhuis in 2016

guys a pretty vanilla player. replaceable.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
I’ll be really disappointed if he is re-signed. What does he even bring to this team. Any multi year deal on him is going to be brutal. This guy already skates in mud.

It's him or Roussel in the top 6. Seriously.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Honestly, this is the least invested I've ever felt in regards to Canucks hockey since the 2007-2008 season. And it was because I lived on the East coast of the US when that happened so it was just hard to catch games in general.

Just a general feeling of being defeated. So much complacency and lack of expectations to do anything. This will make 6 of 8 years drafting in the top 10 and ownership/good chunk of the fanbase thinks Benning's doing a good job because "hE dRaFteD pETTerSsoN aNd HuGHes." Like, this team had many GMs get s**tcanned for less and you would hope with all those picks you would have something to show for on the roster.

Just tired of this team culture over the years of having this perpetual inferiority complex where you just build the Maginot Line by stuffing the roster full of "2-way players" so you don't get murdered as badly by Gretzky and company or any other modern equivalent.

Don't even have an outlet to express anger any more, it's just a general feeling of being resigned to "yep, this is how it is."
I hear ya.
This perpetual purgatory will remain until the ownership pays more attention to the 'product' in front of them, instead of how they are perceived.
The time for a Benning firing is now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thank God....I was afraid the Canucks were actually going to kill the tank there for awhile. Canucks have suffered some embarrassing losses so far this year, but this game might be the worst. From up 3-0 to down 4-3 in regulation.

The last couple of games are the kind of results that would get a coach fired in a lot of markets....but apparently the owner thinks 'they're on the right track'. So they'll limp through to the end of the season.

On an individual basis, Miller looks like he'd rather be anywhere else right now. I have no idea where his off-season home is, but looks to me he can't wait to get back there.

Watching Edler these days is enough to cause a lump in your throat...such a warrior for the Canucks over the years, but his career is ending with whimper rather than a bang. And with Eriksson benched, the next worst UFA signing of the Benning era will be Myers. Too slow for this division, and might be too slow period.

Can we officially designate 'a tank thread' now?

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Honestly, this is the least invested I've ever felt in regards to Canucks hockey since the 2007-2008 season. And it was because I lived on the East coast of the US when that happened so it was just hard to catch games in general.

Just a general feeling of being defeated. So much complacency and lack of expectations to do anything. This will make 6 of 8 years drafting in the top 10 and ownership/good chunk of the fanbase thinks Benning's doing a good job because "hE dRaFteD pETTerSsoN aNd HuGHes." Like, this team had many GMs get s**tcanned for less and you would hope with all those picks you would have something to show for on the roster.

Just tired of this team culture over the years of having this perpetual inferiority complex where you just build the Maginot Line by stuffing the roster full of "2-way players" so you don't get murdered as badly by Gretzky and company or any other modern equivalent.

Don't even have an outlet to express anger any more, it's just a general feeling of being resigned to "yep, this is how it is."
Christ, how you ever managed to pay attention from 2015-2018 is baffling to me. I have never felt more bored and checked out as a Canucks fan than when I had to watch Pouliot/Gudbranson/Del Zotto/Hutton/revolving door of flaming garbage for several consecutive years. This year is a meme and it's still better than those years

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Just my opinion - Roussel took an absolutely moronic penalty where he dropped his gloves and bloodied the face of an absolutely bewildered Puuljujarvi. Oilers were pissed and they played the rest of the game like a different team.

I saw that.

Hilarious that you can drop the gloves and bloody the face of an unsuspecting opponent and only get two minutes.

Would like to say I am surprised they gave up 4 unanswered goals.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
No need to be toxic, you

200.gif

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I hear ya.
This perpetual purgatory will remain until the ownership pays more attention to the 'product' in front of them, instead of how they are perceived.
The time for a Benning firing is now.
edit: those of us that now the owners...

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Finish fourth last and the odds are good we get pushed down too, no? Lower the finish the higher the for sure pick. Higher the pick, and the better the odds of getting a very good player. Unless, of course, we stay with Jethro/Jethrine leading the charge.
I mean at the end of the day yeah even if you get pushed from 1st pick to 4th you're still getting a great player for finishing last. I just think it's criminal that the last place team has a 50.6% chance at the 4th pick. Like, what the f*** is that?

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Its crazy how much edler has clearly declined, and he's still vital to the team. Like we cannot afford to not have him back next year, who tf is going to replace his minutes as effectively?

Certainly nobody Benning is going to acquire by some miracle.

And I love edler, he's a great dman. But 2021 edler is not prime edler amymore and im really starting to realize how far he's fallen.
It’s embarrassing how many years benning has had to replace elders minutes but yet here we are in 2021 relying on Edler to be a shutdown defenseman. We shouldn’t be in a position where we need a 36 year old edler to be a top 4 defenseman.

canucks need to move on from edler even though he’s still a decent defenseman. Rip off the bandaid. Same reason I was fine with marky and Tanev leaving. Benning has hid behind markstrom, Tanev and edler for years. He’s never been able to find or develop defenseman and it’s completely f***ed this organization. It will take 3 or 4 years to build a solid defense now and that’s if they turf benning ASAP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad