Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 4-2 (Kuzmenko, Miller) - Thank you, Bruce

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I wonder if Bruce was given the option to leave earlier and why didn’t he resign when the writing on the wall.
Probably because he knew he would have problems finding another job that late in the offseason. Even by his comments today it seems like he is thinking that this maybe his last NHL head coaching job. Agewise he is getting up there and I think that there are some better young coaches who are going to be getting NHL jobs very quickly.

Bruce would make an excellent assistant coach though if he wanted to go that route

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Wow they have really destroyed this brand more in less than a year than Benning did his whole tenure absolutely shocking. Losing is one thing but people will remember that look on Bruce's face. I think this has cost them a lot of fans and loyalty in this fanbase.

Yeah but they saved 1/2 season of a coaches salary by not hiring a new coach in June.

So totally worth it. Just like not rebuilding, that sweet 2014 playoff revenue made everything that followed worthwhile.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Went to the game.

Absurd the attendance mix. 60/40 Oilers to Nucks fans.

But least there was some atmosphere.

And the Bruce There It Is chants after the game was over and people standing for him, was a great touch.
Had this clown show gone on much longer, at the end of March, that ratio could have been 80/20. Something had to be done but I wish it had been handled differently.
Looking forward to the Rick Tocchet era.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
IMO, people in Vancouver are overreacting as usual.

GM looks for a new coach before they fire the old one - this happens a lot of times.

You can nitpick that they didn't name an interim when Tocchet was leaked, but they probably didn't want to name an interim for like 2 weeks.

Not common to see people mix emotion with rationality on this board.
A few posters on this board saying nothing to see here vs pretty much the rest of the hockey world. Hmm, I wonder who's got this right....

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Oh, and this team has to find a way to jettison Miller. I defended him today but if he's one of the problems in the room then he has to go. If not, and it's just his personality, then you just hope that he sorts himself out with the help of the new coaching staff. If he does then he's obviously still a good player.
I still dont buy that there's any kind of 'rift' between groups of players in the room. It's been all media/fan driven. Bo vs JT was parroted non stop, only to be obviously bs.

There's a wide age range, life stage range and talent range on every team. Of course there's groups of friends, doesn't make them opposing cliques. You don't have to like everyone you work with, to like working with them.

They don't interact at all like they have personal beefs. Constant strong starts to games, or finishes, celebrating the little things etc. They are just heavily underperforming, and frustrated.

It's just a cliche, of loud guy vs quiet guy, young players vs old, overpaid vs underpaid. There's no reason to believe any of it, just speculation from blood thirsty hack writers on twitter.

Reactions: Grantham

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
A few posters on this board saying nothing to see here vs pretty much the rest of the hockey world. Hmm, I wonder who's got this right....
IF this happened in a market that wasnt like Vancouver then it would have been business as usual. Which is what happens to literally every other team. Nothing would have leaked and he wouldnt have had this situation in the first place

This market is probably one of the most negative and over-reative markets in the NHL. Toronto is probably the worst though.

Reactions: Numba9

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Probably because he knew he would have problems finding another job that late in the offseason. Even by his comments today it seems like he is thinking that this maybe his last NHL head coaching job. Agewise he is getting up there and I think that there are some better young coaches who are going to be getting NHL jobs very quickly.

Bruce would make an excellent assistant coach though if he wanted to go that route
It can’t have been a financial decision surely. He’s been paid well and I imagine the stress factor in the job was huge. He’s not exactly a picture of health even taking his age into account. The limelight can be addictive, I imagine.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
IF this happened in a market that wasnt like Vancouver then it would have been business as usual. Which is what happens to literally every other team. Nothing would have leaked and he wouldnt have had this situation in the first place

This market is probably one of the most negative and overreative markets in the NHL. Toronto is probably the worst though.

I think it's somewhere in between. The media really went wild with this story and many of the fans were all too happy to care about something in this pathetic waste of a season.

But the end result of all that was a bizarre situation that reflects poorly on an organization that has normalized things reflecting poorly.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

This market is probably one of the most negative and over-reative markets in the NHL. Toronto is probably the worst though.

It's not even just our media stirring this story. Leafs podcasts, national broadcast and even a former player have chimed in about thenlack of respect being shown.

You are just making your own narrative up suggesting this is all an over-reaction.

Like it probably is an over-reaction but it's certainly not incorrect to call out the horrible nature of this firing.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I still dont buy that there's any kind of 'rift' between groups of players in the room. It's been all media/fan driven. Bo vs JT was parroted non stop, only to be obviously bs.

There's a wide age range, life stage range and talent range on every team. Of course there's groups of friends, doesn't make them opposing cliques. You don't have to like everyone you work with, to like working with them.

They don't interact at all like they have personal beefs. Constant strong starts to games, or finishes, celebrating the little things etc. They are just heavily underperforming, and frustrated.

It's just a cliche, of loud guy vs quiet guy, young players vs old, overpaid vs underpaid. There's no reason to believe any of it, just speculation from blood thirsty hack writers on twitter.
I don't know man. The vibe with this team really changed after the bubble playoffs. When I say vibe, I'm not referring to the team's play on ice. I fully realize that teams can get worse hockey wise after a good season.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
IMO, people in Vancouver are overreacting as usual.

GM looks for a new coach before they fire the old one - this happens a lot of times.

You can nitpick that they didn't name an interim when Tocchet was leaked, but they probably didn't want to name an interim for like 2 weeks.

Not common to see people mix emotion with rationality on this board.
Don't believe it happens this way a lot. In fact, this way to fire a coach is worse than Gallant firing.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Hired for the tank. I'm not inspired. Either are the Canucks. No bump here.
I don’t agree. JR wasn’t enamoured with him and wants his new coach to have a say in what personnel changes need to be made so that he’s a successful as possible. It’s harsh but I understand.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
It's not even just our media stirring this story. Leafs podcasts, national broadcast and even a former player have chimed in about thenlack of respect being shown.

You are just making your own narrative up suggesting this is all an over-reaction.

Like it probably is an over-reaction but it's certainly not incorrect to call out the horrible nature of this firing.
The only actual overreaction is coming from people who somehow have a problem with people rallying behind Boudreau. That's what's so bizarre.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Don't believe it happens this way a lot. In fact, this way to fire a coach is worse than Gallant firing.
I don’t know, Gallant was way worse. Gallant was actually doing really well and they literally kicked him to the curb.

It’s not even arguable that BB deserves to be fired based on the results. The only issue is the media found out and just talked about it nonstop. Like if this wasn’t talked about everyday in every single Canucks podcast, National broadcast for the last 2 weeks, would this be a frenzy? No it would be business as usual.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I don’t know, Gallant was way worse. Gallant was actually doing really well and they literally kicked him to the curb.

It’s not even arguable that BB deserves to be fired based on the results. The only issue is the media found out and just talked about it nonstop. Like if this wasn’t talked about everyday in every single Canucks podcast, National broadcast for the last 2 weeks, would this be a frenzy? No it would be business as usual.
C'mon, BB firing has little to do with the records. He has been "dead man walking" since the offseason. Did you follow any of JR's interviews? :popcorn:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Might well end one of the messiest episodes in team history.

No. This for me is the Sbisa/Dorsett signing for this management group. This is a breaking point. They no longer get the benefit of the doubt, they no longer get benign patience. They need to turn this shit around and they need to walk the walk to go with the lip flapping.

By all indications, this is the beginning of yet another very messy episode in team history. I don't know how interested I am in hanging around for it.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Yeah but they saved 1/2 season of a coaches salary by not hiring a new coach in June.

So totally worth it. Just like not rebuilding, that sweet 2014 playoff revenue made everything that followed worthwhile.
You could have saved another 1/2 season of salary by waiting till seasons end and just parting ways with Bruce. I think Aquilini really didn't want to pay another coach this season but had his hand forced by management.

Last edited:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
It can’t have been a financial decision surely. He’s been paid well and I imagine the stress factor in the job was huge. He’s not exactly a picture of health even taking his age into account. The limelight can be addictive, I imagine.
He loves coaching and he loves the players. Bottom line.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
No. This for me is the Sbisa/Dorsett signing for this management group. This is a breaking point. They no longer get the benefit of the doubt, they no longer get benign patience. They need to turn this shit around and they need to walk the walk to go with the lip flapping.

By all indications, this is the beginning of yet another very messy episode in team history. I don't know how interested I am in hanging around for it.
JT re-signing was this, tbf

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013

Literally everyone in the hockey world: This isn't actually normal

You: tHIs IS cOMpLEteLY nORMal

Do you also go outside every sunny day and tell everyone how beautifully green the sun looks and throw a fit when they tell you it's not actually green?

Literally even non-hockey news is reporting on how bad this firing was, but no, this is all just noise drummed up by local media and literally no one else!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad