Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 4-2 (Kuzmenko, Miller) - Thank you, Bruce

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
C'mon, BB firing has little to do with the records. He has been "dead man walking" since the offseason. Did you follow any of JR's interviews? :popcorn:
I mean from a merit perspective it’s justified. It’s not just the record but the way the team is being coached. I don’t agree with the firing but you can see the merit in it.

Gallant was, well they saw a shinier coach in De Boer and kicked Gallant to the curb, literally. It was a wtf move because there was literally zero loyalty despite what Gallant has done up to that point. It was like betrayal + ruthless + heartless.

I see people arguing well the moment this leaked, they should have fired BB and get Yeo to be intern. Well looks like Yeo is gonna get canned too. So you guys are fine with letting Yeo do the dead man walking thing? Or should they just fire them all and get like a sports trainer to coach for 2 weeks. Seems like this is just a case of media got ahead of things, frenzied it up when the team is not done with the logistics of having a replacement.

Reactions: theKRAKhouse

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
JT re-signing was this, tbf
Not for me, and it was too soon at that point. The JT signing, and even the Boeser signings at the time read as risk mitigation to not lose out on asset value. Knowing now that they lowballed Horvat and prioritized Miller it doesn't look good, and wasn't the right choice but Miller was coming off a 100pt season where he could have gotten 10M as a UFA if he was one. If Bo reproduced a season like last he's probably making 6.5M per year and the trade talks aren't a thing.

The Sbisa/Dorsett signings were a breaking point with Benning where I realized that we've had enough time to evaluate the management, they have made a critical decision, and it is absolutely ridiculous. It is indicative that we should be concerned and things are not going to go well with these people in charge.

That's where I'm at with Rutherford and Allvin. The mere hiring of Tocchet does it, the treatment of Boudreau amplifies it intensely.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
The canucks are now officially the most pathetic franchise in pro sports. Being well deservedly skewered by the world on Twitter. The true colour of ownership and management is on full display.

Have some self respect Granato and walk away from this joke franchise before it ruins you

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021
Aqualoonie created this mess by hiring Bruce before the new hockey ops got to pick their guy. The bump last year delayed the cleaning out of Bennings mess. Let Toccet come in and kick some ass, get ride of who doesn’t want to be here. I’m just glad Yeo and Cull will be gone too hopefully.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
The boudreau situation is such a non-story, but the heat ownership and management is taking is too perfect. Even casuals are giving it to Aquilini now.
I too find this level of heat odd... Like it was known Bruce wasn't their guy, but was given a shot after his success last year. Fine

Performs very badly... like things that cannot be excused, or blamed on the roster. You can blame a 20th, or even 25th ranked PK on personnel. You can't blame them for a 1600th+++ all time, whatever dead last in history is.

He's retirement age, and is being asked to continue until his replacement is ready. Regardless of if that conversation happened or not... whatever.

Bruce is sad, not because it's the end for him in YVR, but coaching in the NHL. Would never get this kind of coverage for an American team, O6 or not. TO, MTL or Van, that's it.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Aqualoonie created this mess by hiring Bruce before the new hockey ops got to pick their guy. The bump last year delayed the cleaning out of Bennings mess. Let Toccet come in and kick some ass, get ride of who doesn’t want to be here. I’m just glad Yeo and Cull will be gone too hopefully.

And don’t forget Jason King, boy was trash ass

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
They won't get Bedard and I hope Petey wants out of this mess as soon as possible. A fan since day one but this franchise save for a few good runs has been a complete dumpster fire since 1970 with no end in sight.

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021
They won't get Bedard and I hope Petey wants out of this mess as soon as possible. A fan since day one but this franchise save for a few good runs has been a complete dumpster fire since 1970 with no end in sight.
If Petey wants out then he gets traded I’m not going to worry about it. All the players can go as far as im concerned

Reactions: sting101 and Nomobo

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I imagine there'll be a press conference this week to introduce the new coaching staff.

I really hope some of these lily-livered 'in house' media guys have the courage to ask the hard questions about how management handled Boudreau and the current coaching staff.

And if Aquilini has the gumption to show up then he needs to subjected to some withering questions. But I'm not holding my breath that any of that will actually happen.
1674374604351.jpeg

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I see people arguing well the moment this leaked, they should have fired BB and get Yeo to be intern. Well looks like Yeo is gonna get canned too. So you guys are fine with letting Yeo do the dead man walking thing? Or should they just fire them all and get like a sports trainer to coach for 2 weeks. Seems like this is just a case of media got ahead of things, frenzied it up when the team is not done with the logistics of having a replacement.

yes of course

if this management group had any clue they would have fired bruce the instant the tocchet hiring became public and named yeo the interim. tell yeo up front hey tocchet might fire you, who knows and tell the media and the fans hey tocchet is going to come in and pick his own staff, yeo and cull are the coaches until then any literally everyone would have said oh ok and gotten on with it

i have no idea why it's so hard for some people to recognize that the anger and outrage about this has nothing to do with bruce's ability as a coach or the team's record under him or his relationship with management and everything to do with management (read: rutherford) completely mismanaging this whole situation and not acting when it became apparent it had gotten out from under him. he's bumbled his way through this, embarrassed a class act in boudreau and raised the ire of the entire hockey establishment

i literally do not care about boudreau's feelings or his paycheck or whether he 'deserves' to be coach. i am angry because this is a mickey mouse management team that have made this franchise a laughing stock

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I mean from a merit perspective it’s justified. It’s not just the record but the way the team is being coached. I don’t agree with the firing but you can see the merit in it.

Gallant was, well they saw a shinier coach in De Boer and kicked Gallant to the curb, literally. It was a wtf move because there was literally zero loyalty despite what Gallant has done up to that point. It was like betrayal + ruthless + heartless.

Are you mixing up firings? Gallant kicked to the curb “literally” was by Florida, no? DeBoer replacing Gallant was Vegas. Yeah yeah?

Reactions: CanuckCity

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
when was the last time a coach knew that he was gonna be fired and a new coach would be named asap via social media. like people already knew who the replacement is. maybe this is the first time vancouver is the only team that has done it?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
IF this happened in a market that wasnt like Vancouver then it would have been business as usual. Which is what happens to literally every other team. Nothing would have leaked and he wouldnt have had this situation in the first place

This market is probably one of the most negative and over-reative markets in the NHL. Toronto is probably the worst though.

This market sat through the Benning years with barely a peep. That should give you an idea how badly this was handed.

Reactions: dez

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

They have been dragging this out since April last year.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I will support the current Canucks players whether they stay or go to other teams. I will not support this shit ownership. It's embarrassing that this owner represents our team. Truly horrific that FA owns OUR team. What an embarrassment.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to media reports and Boudreau's own admissions, most of the players were in tears after last night's game.....and one by one, they came to his office to say goodbye for the last time.

And looks like most of the assistant coaches will be walking the plank as well. All this, with just 40 games left in a lost season. Horvat is the lucky one. He'll be getting out by the TDL and I imagine a few other players will be joining him.

Listening to the post game show; phone-ins and twitter feeds, I don't think I've ever seen so much vitriol, anger, frustration and disgust directed towards management and ownership in Vancouver. It puts Tocchet in an almost no-win situation. Frankly I'm surprised he's even taking the job.

If Aquilini has any sense, he'll take a long vacation from this hockey team right about now. He needs to just disappear until things cool down.

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
this is like the half measures speech from breaking bad. they didnt want bruce, but brought him back for another year because they knew the fans would be pissed if they didnt. so they brought him back and then decided to get rid of him and created a situation even worse.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I'm proud of the fans at the game chanting "Bruce there it is" one more time. A classy send off for a good person put through a tough situation unnecessarily, good for people to recognize it and has the compassion and appreciation to show him some love.

Good luck to Tocchet, to no fault of his own, he's coming into a really bad situation. Going to be interesting how the room reacts to all this.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I'm proud of the fans at the game chanting "Bruce there it is" one more time. A classy send off for a good person put through a tough situation unnecessarily, good for people to recognize it and has the compassion and appreciation to show him some love.

Good luck to Tocchet, to no fault of his own, he's coming into a really bad situation. Going to be interesting how the room reacts to all this.
Only IF management had the same respect for the fans eh?

One thing the fans chanting in favour of Bruce is another way of the fans disagreeing with dumb management moves.

Allvin, the zombie looked like he was stoned and Granato like she was putting away her DVD player, Castonguay looked like she was on Bruce's side.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad