Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 4-2 (Kuzmenko, Miller) - Thank you, Bruce

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
No, Im wondering why people seem to be dismayed with the organization for an under performing coach who wasnt listening to management.

Like I said Bruce the person and Bruce the coach are two separate entities
Well then both sides are misunderstanding each other because nobody is dismayed with the organization for firing him. They're dismayed at how the organization is conducting themselves.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I still think we have a decent team. Just got off to a killer start and it crippled the team and the attitude.

I hope whenever they do finally let BB go, we don't start winning. We are not going anywhere this year, that's for sure. Hoping for a decent draft year, and hopefully we can get a bunch of draft picks.

LOL the suggestion that a trade with Carolina included us getting Necas. Talk about unrealistic expectations for a rental.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
imagine if they don't fire him and he's here coaching the next game!
I was thinking this before the game. Like, nothing is actually official. What if the Canucks are continuing to let the media run with rumours as if they're facts...

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I still think we have a decent team. Just got off to a killer start and it crippled the team and the attitude.

I hope whenever they do finally let BB go, we don't start winning. We are not going anywhere this year, that's for sure. Hoping for a decent draft year, and hopefully we can get a bunch of draft picks.

LOL the suggestion that a trade with Carolina included us getting Necas. Talk about unrealistic expectations for a rental.
Im sure there will be a new coach bump. We will be drafting 8th - 12th.

That would hinge on letting Carolina do an extension with Horvat. Carolina doesn't do rentals.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
They could've just fired Bruce weeks ago and made Yeo or Cull interim coach.

There was literally no reason for them to handle the situation this way.
Pretty sure those two are gone as well. Is there really a point in having an interm coach for 2/3 weeks?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Wonder if they did not remove bruce after it leaked and put an interim coach in because they wont be retaining anyone.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Bruce hasn’t perfect here, but helping turn a Pettersson from what he was last year into the superstar we all hoped he would become. Nobody can deny that he has gotten the most out of the offence this year.

All the best to you Bruce if this is your last game and congratulations on your career. You deserved better treatment.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Good on Bruce for calling it like it is. Management waited until the “tough” grind part of the schedule is done in hopes of getting the new convicted criminal coach some wins under his belt

Unfortunately they are forgetting THEIR roster is not capable of a guaranteed win !!!

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
This is honestly ridiculous. This has to be an all time first in pro sports.

Aquillini went from making his own kids cry everyday to making an entire fanbase and pro sports franchise cry.
I doubt that is true. His ex wife is very vengeful and I wouldnt trust everything she says. I've meet her on a couple of ocassions and she is not a pleasant human being. Possible one of the worst people Ive had the displeasure of meeting

• Haha
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Oh, and this team has to find a way to jettison Miller. I defended him today but if he's one of the problems in the room then he has to go. If not, and it's just his personality, then you just hope that he sorts himself out with the help of the new coaching staff. If he does then he's obviously still a good player.

This team went 0-2 "trying" to win for their coach this weekend. Not sure we'll see much of a bump.
Agreed. The coaching saga will presumably finally be over. Now it's time to deal with the players. That locker room needs some surgery.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I wonder if Bruce was given the option to leave earlier and why didn’t he resign when the writing on the wall.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
IMO, people in Vancouver are overreacting as usual.

GM looks for a new coach before they fire the old one - this happens a lot of times.

You can nitpick that they didn't name an interim when Tocchet was leaked, but they probably didn't want to name an interim for like 2 weeks.

Not common to see people mix emotion with rationality on this board.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Wow. I don't even know where to begin.... You are clearly not seeing the whole picture bud.

Coach is basically meaningless as the Canucks aren't even close to a playoff team. Easy argument to be made the Canucks almost made the playoffs last year basically on Bruce and Demko.

Problem is the team and those at the top so far are sitting on a legacy that looks and sounds nearly identical to the last management crew who refused to draft and develop players and had a hatred for drafting and developing players.

The Canucks waiting for a month to let Bruce go basically gave it meaning.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Oh, and this team has to find a way to jettison Miller. I defended him today but if he's one of the problems in the room then he has to go. If not, and it's just his personality, then you just hope that he sorts himself out with the help of the new coaching staff. If he does then he's obviously still a good player.

Agreed. The coaching saga will presumably finally be over. Now it's time to deal with the players. That locker room needs some surgery.
Miller is not going anywhere.

One of the Nucks podcasters had a good point about Kuzmenko too. Lekkerimäki is the 1st draft pick of the new management, but Kuzmenko is really that "Their guy" player. He will be extended.

We will, somehow, have even more money tied up in wings next year than we do this year.

IMO, people in Vancouver are overreacting as usual.

GM looks for a new coach before they fire the old one - this happens a lot of times.

You can nitpick that they didn't name an interim when Tocchet was leaked, but they probably didn't want to name an interim for like 2 weeks.

Not common to see people mix emotion with rationality on this board.
No not really.
You really don't seem to grasp how our players and the rest of the league views this.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Miller is not going anywhere.

One of the Nucks podcasters had a good point about Kuzmenko too. Lekkerimäki is the 1st draft pick of the new management, but Kuzmenko is really that "Their guy" player. He will be extended.

We will, somehow, have even more money tied up in wings next year than we do this year.

Ya and that will also be yet another mistake. Some have said Schenn may be extended as well. So it's the same team sans Horvat with a replacement center. 🤷 Hopefully fans aren't as stupid as the management and realize this team isn't making the playoffs with that as the team.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
fans should call out aquallini but hes too much of a chickenshit to even show his face unless a canuck legend was in town for a ceremony. need somebody to buy the canucks. even a celebrity like ryan reynolds i would have said micheal buble but hes already with the giants.

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Might well end one of the messiest episodes in team history. But others do rival it. This game, like so many lately, came down to goal tending. Winning goal was totally stoppable and at this point Martin is not NHL capable. Good effort by many of the players but pretty obvious that the team is short quality players at many positions (especially on defense)

Good

OEL - had one of best games. Thought he moved the puck efficiently from his end. Too often this year the defense has taken the extra stride or made the extra move (Hughes a lot) rather than letting the puck do the work. OEL work in that area was good in this game as well as taking people off the rush. On good teams, defensemen play like OEL did in this game. It is about team movement of the puck not individuals making circus plays. Boring but winning hockey.

Kumenko - created enough offense to win this game but others couldn't do enough with it.

Not Good

Joshua - little better in the third but overall looked clumsy and poor defensively. As season has gone on looks less and less like he can compete at this level. Can crowd the crease but skating and skill level is not good enough to play a 200 foot game.

Martin - had horseshoes or score could have been a lot worse. Team needs a goalie that can carry them (given their defense) and Martin is proving he can't do that.

Garland - sometimes his erratic game works but tonight he couldn't get anything working. Passing was over hasty and catching others off guard. Played far too much as an individual.

Lockwood - has some scattered moments of good play but often not strong enough on the puck. Shows that effective play at the AHL level is often not transferable to the NHL.

Pederson - ditto Lockwood.

Boeser - his defensive play and puck retrieval efforts remain abysmal. Token efforts in his end and too slow to take advantage of offensive chances. What a miserable season.

Others

Miller - messed up the EN attempt by the team. Nice goal but that was about it.

Pettersson - Good defensive game and made a nice pass on the Kuzmenko goal. But couldn't complete chances in this one.

Losing is obviously the way to go at this point and you hope the coaching change (if it happens) doesn't inspire any kind of turn around.

Vancouver fans are innovative and generally cool. Send off for BB will be remembered. I wonder what the send off for the real perpetrators of this debacle - Benning and Aquilini - would have been like. IMO would have involved tar and feathers at a minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad