Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 3-2 (Pettersson, Motte)

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Like I said in the last thread, Bruce is a great coach obviously, but I think we finally found the one thing he simply does not get.
Imho it's more he doesnt trust the younger players on 3 V 3, and due to our depleted line-up he had to throw out the players available not named Dowling, Chiasson, and other clowns when the top liners were gassed.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
We are not a playoff team. I think the best strategy is to move some assets and fill some gaps. Draft well and shoot for the playoffs next season

just not good enough defensively
Lammikko's line was the most efficient line in recent games and they don't require elite skill. Simply hustle, check, shoot, and go to the net. I agree with the idea we need to re-build our defense.

Hughes and Demko is a good start. Now find 3 more elite defencemen through trade/draft. Sign forwards through free agency that can skate or 1-dimensional offensive players for PP use.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Yup Dickinson sure can be trusted defensively as illustrated by his coasting towards McJesus as he scored

but hey apparently you “know hockey”
Coasting or trying to catch the fastest player in hockey?

Do you think Hoglander is better defensively than Dickinson but myself and every professional coach are just stupid for not recognizing that?

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
I’m not too upset by this game, tbh. I was expecting to feel even worse.

Refs were gobshite and McDavid’s flop won them the game, and I truly believe that. Onto the next one.

Reactions: Zippgunn

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Still refreshing to see the team have a pulse even when their effort isn't the greatest.

Shine is off Boudreau a bit for me. Yeah he's a big improvement over Green but that's not exactly a high bar. These deployment issues aren't just AV-esque "I play Aaron Rome in places he shoudn't", it basically kills their 5v5 production. I wish he'd go back to playing the kids, especially with Dickinson mailing it in on that McDavid goal tonight. It's not like those guys are worldbeating defensive players, they're just better than the previous crap Benning saddled us with. And Dickinson is overpaid (a la Benning).

Reactions: Dab

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
The takes on Boeser are dramatic lol. His career is in a free fall when he had a career year last year literally less than 8 months ago
I would normally agree but what to do with his contract this off-season will be interesting to say the least.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Really great to see Spencer Martin play so well, he's a great story. Right now he is tracking it great. Issue is, any near-NHL calibre goalie can go on a hot streak and this might be one of those. Before this season and even before the bubble I thought that Demko had shown several such streaks spread over time plus his Utica play so I was convinced he would turn out eventually. With Martin we'll have to wait and see.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I’m not too upset by this game, tbh. I was expecting to feel even worse.

Refs were gobshite and McDavid’s flop won them the game, and I truly believe that. Onto the next one.
I missed the last period..Blowing a 2 goal lead going into the 3rd, and eventually losing in OT ...does not feel good.

Maybe if we'd had a few less players out, it might have tipped the scales in our favour?..Who knows.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
I don't think you need to buy out Dickinson. Yeah he's been very disappointing this season, but I'd give him one more to see if he can turn it around. He was legit good in Dallas and it's baffling how the player we got looks nothing like that.

He could be "dallas good" here if he if he gets top 6 minutes and plays on the first 2 lines. "dallas good" means 20 pts while playing good defence in a top 6 spot. Legit good players don't give you 20 pts playing in the top 6 no matter how good they defend. Dick has 0 offence in his game. I'd say he has granite hands. Tom"top six" Sestito had Gretzky like hands compared to Dick. He should be making 1,5/year at most if he could play centre and win faceoffs.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
A group of canucks fans on Twitter have taken to calling in to the Oilers post game show and pushing the idea the team would hire Jim Benning.

Hilarious. And the show hosts reactions dumbfounded, but not realizing it's not Oilers fans calling in.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Your goalie Martin looked amazing...great future for the kid if he keeps this up...very jealous from an oilers perspective.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Your goalie Martin looked amazing...great future for the kid if he keeps this up...very jealous from an oilers perspective.

He’s not a kid….he’s 6 months older than Demko and will be 27 when the cup is awarded this year. Oilers will likely be free to sign him July 1 when he becomes UFA.

He played well but he is likely a long shot to have more than a few cups of coffee in the NHL.

Reactions: BertMcDrai

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Coasting or trying to catch the fastest player in hockey?

Do you think Hoglander is better defensively than Dickinson but myself and every professional coach are just stupid for not recognizing that?
You could not see Dick stop skating and start coasting? Do you play? Can you even skate? Anyone that has played the game knows Dick let up

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
granted i kept falling asleep and waking up through the second half of the game and was half asleep during the OT but i do believe i saw both dick and lammo out there on 3 on 3.

i hope bouds learned a lesson there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad