Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 3-2 (Pettersson, Motte)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Coasting or trying to catch the fastest player in hockey?

Do you think Hoglander is better defensively than Dickinson but myself and every professional coach are just stupid for not recognizing that?

Oh it was coasting. Trying to catch the fastest player in hockey requires one to move their legs. He completely stopped moving his. One extra stride is all he needed to tie the stick up. He didn't take it.

Reactions: geebaan

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Would it have been nice to beat the Oilers - Yes

Am I upset that we lost - No

Martin played well, had one blip and it seemed to cost us the game, that McLeod shot needs to be saved. Definitely not going to blame it on the Refs calling a soft penalty for touching McDavid. Oilers outplayed us heavily, and we managed a point, on to the next one.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
granted i kept falling asleep and waking up through the second half of the game and was half asleep during the OT but i do believe i saw both dick and lammo out there on 3 on 3.

i hope bouds learned a lesson there

Unlikely. He rides his vets and he always has. This is the second time he's lost OT for us by doing this.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I actually get putting Motte and Highmore out there in OT. They're fast and have been our best players lately and with a really thin lineup ... fair enough.

Dickinson and Lammikko should never, ever touch the ice in a 3-on-3. Ever. And putting them out ahead of the likes of Hoglander is flat-out idiocy.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Would it have been nice to beat the Oilers - Yes

Am I upset that we lost - No

Martin played well, had one blip and it seemed to cost us the game, that McLeod shot needs to be saved. Definitely not going to blame it on the Refs calling a soft penalty for touching McDavid. Oilers outplayed us heavily, and we managed a point, on to the next one.
The media thought it was a lousy call...
"Oilers fans frequently complain about Connor McDavid not drawing as many penalties as he should, suggesting referees let opposing players get away with too much against him. On Tuesday, the pendulum swung the other way and McDavid got penalty calls he arguably didn’t deserve." Daniel Wagner
Spencer Martin steals a point for Canucks against the Oilers - Vancouver Is Awesome

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
People who are shocked about Hoggy and Podz playing less than Dickinson in a game like this don't understand hockey.
infers everyone else is stupid

someone replies disagreeing
Do you think myself and every professional coach are just stupid?
proceeds to gaslight everyone else

why do all your posts include a “everyone is stupid” type vibe lol

Reactions: geebaan and quat

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I actually get putting Motte and Highmore out there in OT. They're fast and have been our best players lately and with a really thin lineup ... fair enough.

Dickinson and Lammikko should never, ever touch the ice in a 3-on-3. Ever. And putting them out ahead of the likes of Hoglander is flat-out idiocy.
So far Boudreau has pressed all the right buttons in righting the ship in VanCity, but some of the OT decisions are flat-out bizarre. I don't get sending Lammikko and Dickinson out there in OT either.....for defensive purposes maybe? But three-on-three, you're supposed to be trying to score. And it was Dickinson who was behind the play when McDavid potted the OT winner.

Why not roll the dice with Hoglander and Podkolzin in OT? What's the worst that can happen? They get scored on. But with low-event third and fourth line guys out there, you get scored on anyway. Like I said--bizzaro.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
He's played two games, but Martin looks really solid. If the Oilers are looking at guys like Jones, I'd offer them Halak. It would throw Halak a bone - maybe help him reach those performance bonuses.

Reactions: Peen

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
infers everyone else is stupid

someone replies disagreeing

proceeds to gaslight everyone else

why do all your posts include a “everyone is stupid” type vibe lol
I mean, for starters you said "infers" when you meant "implies", but you weren't really being a jerk here so I dont mean that aggressively.

The reason is because this board is so negative (insert some comment that im a Benning bro when I'm glad he is gone), while often being incorrect. It's toxic negativity that is often not even correct, so it gets incredibly tiresome.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I mean, for starters you said "infers" when you meant "implies", but you weren't really being a jerk here so I dont mean that aggressively.

The reason is because this board is so negative (insert some comment that im a Benning bro when I'm glad he is gone), while often being incorrect. It's toxic negativity that is often not even correct, so it gets incredibly tiresome.

This board has been *by far* the most correct of anyone - other fan forums, Twitter, Reddit, national media, local media - in evaluating Jim Benning's tenure, from start to finish. It isn't even close.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Toxic? Lol, we don’t sugar coat reality.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
In the past 8 years in Canuckland, reality has been negative. All it takes is a trip to wikipedia to search "Canucks seasons" and look at the results. Sorry it's been that way I suppose.

Reactions: m9

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

I mean look at this team’s record over the past 8 seasons and look at all the shitty contracts they’ve handed out and the picks/prospects they’ve traded away despite sucking ass. You’d have to be delusional to be positive.

I didn’t post much back during the prime Sedin days but I highly doubt this place was filled with negativity back then.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I mean look at this team’s record over the past 8 seasons and look at all the shitty contracts they’ve handed out and the picks/prospects they’ve traded away despite sucking ass. You’d have to be delusional to be positive.

I didn’t post much back during the prime Sedin days but I highly doubt this place was filled with negativity back then.
There's also been a lot of kneejerk 'trade Petey, trade Hughes, trade Horvat' at the first sign of a slump, but people don't cop to those opinions, they slink away and pretend they never held them.

There were systemic problems with the way Benning ran the team, and lots of them. But he also did make a number of objectively good calls e.g. choosing Markstrom over Lack (which he was excoriated for on these boards btw) and then keeping Demko over Markstrom. His positive steps don't undo his errors, but this board more than anywhere else cannot even recognize the positives and decides that it must have been our white hat Judd Brackett forcing his hand, etc.

Just a great deal of intellectual dishonesty that is frequently couched in impoverished hockey knowledge.

Dickinson is the new whipping boy on this board so he can do no right to a great number of people.

Regarding his usage over Hoggy and Podz, have people noticed that often in the last few shifts of a game Dickinson will replace the weakest defensive player on one of our top two lines for a couple of shifts in the last 5 minutes (e.g. replacing Boeser on the lotto line)? Because on a slightly broader scale, that is what the ice time discrepancies were about this past game. In crunch time while trying to protect a lead coaches play players whom they trust defensively. They all do it, and you will lose the trust of your room if you don't, but it feels like a number of people have no understanding of that and are now smugly hating on the same coach they were complimenting two weeks ago.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It was genius coaching by BB to take the attention off the team and onto himself by making a bad deployment in OT to distract from the fact that the team shit the bed in the actual hockey portion of the hockey game. He's truly a mastermind.
"Team shit the bed".

You mean the team missing its matchup center and winger against two of the 4 best players in the league? The one missing an entire top 6 line and playing a 3rd string goaltender?

That team, 'shit the bed'? quelle f***ing surprise.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
So far Boudreau has pressed all the right buttons in righting the ship in VanCity, but some of the OT decisions are flat-out bizarre. I don't get sending Lammikko and Dickinson out there in OT either.....for defensive purposes maybe? But three-on-three, you're supposed to be trying to score. And it was Dickinson who was behind the play when McDavid potted the OT winner.

Why not roll the dice with Hoglander and Podkolzin in OT? What's the worst that can happen? They get scored on. But with low-event third and fourth line guys out there, you get scored on anyway. Like I said--bizzaro.

I wonder if Boudreau is trying to hold on and make it to the shootout and thinking that Lammikko and Dickenson are a safer choice than the younger players. Obviously didn't work out against the Oilers, but that might be what his plan was.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Worrying about traditional defending in 3v3 is a complete misunderstanding of sudden death and open ice buffoonary. Defense is just backchecking faster to break up a 2v1, turn around and score on your own counter. Hoglander is the 1st player that comes to mind in all aspects of 3v3. Hell don't even put a Dman out there if Hughes comes off.

Reactions: MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad