Oilers Darkening blue to navy for jerseys next year

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
On a side note, where does one find authentic jerseys online at a decent price? Doesn't have to be the most current jersey (wouldn't mind one of those retro jerseys from back in the day a.k.a 2017).

Need one for the season starter in Gothenburg. :D

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
It is. I don't know what other reason except someone was too lazy to look up at the banners in Rogers.

I've got 2 leading theories, both are really silly but we're talking about the Oilers here.

1) He didn't play for the 80's dynasty so the current Oilers brass just don't care about him.

2) They decided that it was too difficult to make 7 numbers look nice on the patch, so they just omitted the one they figured people were least likely to notice.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I've got 2 leading theories, both are really silly but we're talking about the Oilers here.

1) He didn't play for the 80's dynasty so the current Oilers brass just don't care about him.

2) They decided that it was too difficult to make 7 numbers look nice on the patch, so they just omitted the one they figured people were least likely to notice.
Or they could just omit the whole "retired numbers" part and save themselves from embarrassment

Reactions: A91

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I would have rather they just make it with the new colour scheme, it’s just weird to me to have 2 different colour schemes, even if I do the love the classic look.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
They might just be including the numbers of players who are in the Hockey Hall of Fame.
I may be in the extreme minority, but I don’t think Hamilton’s number should have been retired in the first place, and it’s kind of embarrassing to have a good but regular dude’s number alongside the all-time greats. I only consider him a WHA guy, so it is fitting they left #3 off the patch.

Here’s hoping they go back to the classic home and away jerseys after the 4 game trial this year. Tired of having new jerseys just for the sake of marketing and sales.

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB

The stripes are a different size on his banner:

CuBZT8LXYAAAnpU.jpg

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The stripes are a different size on his banner:

CuBZT8LXYAAAnpU.jpg
The #3 also only has a white outline, but I always thought they did that because that's what he was wearing when he retired.

It seems weird or a mistake that he was omitted from the patch when he's usually included.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Was thinking maybe since it's a patch for 40 years in the NHL that could be the cause as he's usually linked to the WHA Oilers rather than NHL Oilers, but forgot he did play about 30 games for the Oilers in the NHL before the injury.

Reactions: Supermassive

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
He played 30ish games for the Oiler franchise.... I don’t see a big issue but in today's age this probably means someone is going to start burning Oiler jerseys on social media for the attention.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
I wish they would change the jerseys back to the classic blue. It really defines the Edmonton Oilers, they won 5 cups in those colors. The only reason they changed it to orange is because McDavid wore it on draft day and people loved it, because it was new. People love new looks,but it wears off pretty quickly. I'm not a fan of this orange crush theme they try to push in the playoffs, I hope some season soon they revert back to the defining Oilers colors

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
Jacques Plante, Norm Ullman, Adam Oates and Chris Pronger are former Oilers in the Hall of Fame and their numbers aren't retired or listed on the 40th Anniversary patch either. Neither are Clare Drake, Glen Sather, or Pat Quinn. If you're going to waste any time and energy getting upset about something irrelevant, you might as well go all the way.

Reactions: EagerPug

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Just because it hasn't been said:

- The "retro" jersey is exactly as it should be.
- The patch looks great, AND is color-matched to the jersey colors - smooth.
- As an 80s kid who knows future success is unlikely, I love the Cups on the patch. Nostalgia is good when the present sucks.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Clearly they omitted him so that they can add him at some point and sell even more jerseys

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I wish they would change the jerseys back to the classic blue. It really defines the Edmonton Oilers, they won 5 cups in those colors. The only reason they changed it to orange is because McDavid wore it on draft day and people loved it, because it was new. People love new looks,but it wears off pretty quickly. I'm not a fan of this orange crush theme they try to push in the playoffs, I hope some season soon they revert back to the defining Oilers colors

I think they should return to the royal blue full time, but I like the orange crush for the playoffs. I hate the current orange though. The 2016-17 set was perfect - royal blue home, white away, and orange third and playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad