Claimed off Waivers: Oilers claim Zykov

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Connor creates a lot of chances and space for others. Have actual good quality players with Connon and they'll outplay these bums by a mile.

Puckhogs like Hall don't work with McDavid. Players who are soft on the puck and don't protect it well - also don't work... see Eberle, JP, Lucic (big guy who doesn't win and escape with the puck). Maroon worked because he protects the puck like a beast even though his skating sucks.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Life comes full circle. Back in 2013 MacT made a series of trade downs at the draft. One was to trade down from#37 (where Zykov was picked), to pick Slepyshev, Platzer and #57 (which was further traded down for 3 more picks)

Extremly boring fact, but cool one to me. I was always interested in the trade down tactic and loved it at the time. Was always interested to see who would have a career between Slepyshev (and the 5 other picks) and Zykov. Slepyshev was winning for a bit but over in KHL now

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
For those not following the plot, Zykov isn't going to knock Chiasson off that first line or first PP spot. He's been excellent in that role this year, and frankly brings a similar but superior skillset to what Zykov brings.

Best case scenario is Zykov is slotted next to Nuge.
While I agree that it's not sensible to remove Chiasson from his current role given how red hot he is, the skillset that Chiasson brings is nothing like that of Zykov. Two very different players.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I'd temper my expectations if I was an Oilers fan. Free assets are always nice but penciling him in as an automatic winger for McDavid is probably a bit premature.

Unfortunately due to Chia's mishandling of the cap these are the type of things Edmonton needs to look to, to grab some depth and hopefully hit on one. Either way I like it for Edmonton.

Reactions: GeeoffBrown

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
Blake was likely avoiding the slow skating factor. Even still, he would have helped the ailing roster, while also getting a bit younger.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Interesting viewpoint from a fan of a team that handed Montreal a 22 and 20 goal scorer on waivers.

Yes, waiver claims are usually nothing, but the kid is only 23 and led the AHL in goals last year. He has talent.
Yeah. So there was one decent player in dozens of waiver claims.

If Chiarelli viewed Zykov as a top 6 forward, he wouldn't have let other teams get a chance at him.

The team I cheer for is not relevant. If my team had just picked a player off of waivers, I would not expect a 20 goal scorer. I'd pretty much expect a depth player that will probably end up back on waivers

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
LA
STL
PHI
FLA
NJD
CHI
ARI
VAN
OTT
DET

Passed.

Kings didn’t have much for cap space but could have made it work. Don’t know why they passed.

Blues had no cap space and don’t need wingers. Flyers didn’t need wingers. Panthers - same. Devils - thought they would have claimed him. Chicago just dealt for a winger. Arizona’s at the 50 man contract limit and couldn’t. Don’t get Vancouver not going for it. Ott/Det would have made sense as well.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
He will be on the first line and will put in 15-20 by years end. I hate EDM.
Love the honesty lol

Will be interested to see what this kid has. Know next to nothing about him except Canes fans seem to think he was improperly utilized?

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Blake was likely avoiding the slow skating factor. Even still, he would have helped the ailing roster, while also getting a bit younger.

If they thought he was going to be anything special they would not have shipped him out in the first place and would have found an alternative player that I sure they could have peddled,

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Kings didn’t have much for cap space but could have made it work. Don’t know why they passed.

Blues had no cap space and don’t need wingers. Flyers didn’t need wingers. Panthers - same. Devils - thought they would have claimed him. Chicago just dealt for a winger. Arizona’s at the 50 man contract limit and couldn’t. Don’t get Vancouver not going for it. Ott/Det would have made sense as well.
I think the Oilers were actually ahead of us in the order now that I look at things. Going into last night we were up on you guys in the standings by a point. Those listed there look like today's order with you leaping us with your win and our loss. At least that's what I hoped happened since it should have been a no brainer for us to put in a claim.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think the Oilers were actually ahead of us in the order now that I look at things. Going into last night we were up on you guys in the standings by a point. Those listed there look like today's order with you leaping us with your win and our loss. At least that's what I hoped happened since it should have been a no brainer for us to put in a claim.

That would make sense. I don’t really know the ins and outs of waiver claim pecking order. Agreed, he would have been a no brainer for you guys as well.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
That would make sense. I don’t really know the ins and outs of waiver claim pecking order. Agreed, he would have been a no brainer for you guys as well.
I thought it was by total points but apparently it is by point percentage and not raw points based on the tweet on the Canucks board below. Once again Benning just doesn't see a potential upgrade even if just for 2 weeks. Seriously how can he not be at least worth a look at upgrading on Horvat's LWer's he's had thus far.
Yes, Ineffective Math on twitter tweets out the waiver order every time someone gets waived. Here's what it was yesterday:

It goes by Point percentage, not raw points.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I bet many Flames fans said the same about Paul Byron before Montreal picked him up...

Most Flames fans will tell you Brad Treliving tried sneaking him over waivers; and it didn't pan out.
Good for Paul, because he'd never be given the opportunity he has in Montreal.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Interesting viewpoint from a fan of a team that handed Montreal a 22 and 20 goal scorer on waivers.

Yes, waiver claims are usually nothing, but the kid is only 23 and led the AHL in goals last year. He has talent.

On 30% shooting. Now, you don't shoot 30% without a lot of talent, but I'm not sure how real that was.

He's a really good waiver pick-up, especially for a team without good winger depth or money, but I don't think Carolina waives him unless they absolutely had to if there wasn't some concern there (they weren't close to the contract limit, had room on the roster and have guys they can send down that don't require waivers).

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Ottawa has no need for him. It's 100% not scoring that's the problem. Unless he can play goal?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Most Flames fans will tell you Brad Treliving tried sneaking him over waivers; and it didn't pan out.
Good for Paul, because he'd never be given the opportunity he has in Montreal.
Treliving can't even spell waivers.

What a lame duck GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad