Claimed off Waivers: Oilers claim Zykov

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I always thought Zykov had a little Holmstrom or Hornqvist.

Park him in front of the net and let him deflect pucks or roof it. His hands are pretty solid in close and he is strong on his skates.

I could see him pace at 20g 25a over a season used correctly.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
LOL what? Maroon, Letestu, Reider, Chiasson, Kassian, Brodziak have been good for us and cheap-o pick ups. The problem has been high-end D and consistent goaltending (Talbot was amazing one season).

giphy.gif

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Low risk, high potential reward. Or at least moderate potential reward. Good for the Oilers.

They've managed to squeeze offensive upside out of Kassian (until this year, i guess) and now Chiasson, so I guess there is some chance he finds a niche there. Either way, if you're gonna go dumpster diving for a potential talent this is a pretty decent get.

Reactions: Son of Petter

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I have a strong dislike for Rod Brind'Amour right now. I really do.

I also have a strong dislike for Tom Dundon right now too for hiring him as Head Coach, and also for hiring Don Waddell as GM.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskCanesFan

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Our amateur scouting is fine these days. Pro scouting is kinda questionable but we’ve also got a guy no one wanted making league minimum and has more goals than Gaudreau, so...

I’m sure that David Rittich will keep up his Vezina level play though. Nothing to worry about in Cowtown.

Loving the ‘lol the guy’s career is over’ hot takes though. Endlessly funny. Really clever and witty stuff.

Yes, let's compare a 35.5% shooting, 13 point Alex Chiasson to a 28 point Gaudreau.

Remind me how Ty "the next coming of Rocket Richard" Rattie is doing?

Reactions: schnapshot

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yes, let's compare a 35.5% shooting, 13 point Alex Chiasson to a 28 point Gaudreau.

Remind me how Ty "the next coming of Rocket Richard" Rattie is doing?

He was doing fine until Nick Cousins injured him.

You said our pro scouts were terrible. Our pro scouts brought Chiasson in.

You don’t want shit coming back at you, don’t sling shit in the first place.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You obviously don't watch any hockey. 27G Maroon in 16-17. Letestu had 11PP goals in 16-17. Reider has been great - just injured.

I watch a player called Connor McDavid drag around scrub linemates his entire career and put up 100+ points because he is f***ing damned good.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I watch a player called Connor McDavid drag around scrub linemates his entire career and put up 100+ points because he is ****ing damned good.
Maroon was a legimately good compliment to Connor. Letestu was good at being open on the left wall and firing one-ts from cross seam feeds. Reider hasn't played with Mcdavid at all and he's been great.

Reactions: ivanlwan and voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I watch a player called Connor McDavid drag around scrub linemates his entire career and put up 100+ points because he is ****ing damned good.

Sure... great. With that theory Lucic should be 60-70pt player - same with Yak and JP. Hall didn't fit. Eberle didn't fit either. They tried B.Pouliot too and wasn't good with McDavid.

Same theory with Crosby... stick a bum and you'll get a 60-70 pt player! Woohooo I'm such a smart GM.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Maroon was a legimately good compliment to Connor. Letestu was good at being open on the left wall and firing one-ts from cross seam feeds.
Connor creates a lot of chances and space for others. Have actual good quality players with Connon and they'll outplay these bums by a mile.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Chiasson is not the answer lol. A 23 year old with a small nhl resume and a very good AHL resume will most certainly get a look. Considering he can play LW and RW it's even more likely that he sees that top line. It gives Edmonton options on the wing they desperately lack. To imply Chiasson is the solidified top line winger is a bit far fetched..
Im keeping Chiasson in the top 6 until he cools down. Been our best forward next to Mcdavid, RNH and Drai

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
Zykov wasn't a good enough player at even strength to warrant a roster spot. Good hands around the net on the PP and hard to knock off the puck though. Situationally, he could be a good player for the Oilers. Wish him the best.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Zykov wasn't a good enough player at even strength to warrant a roster spot. Good hands around the net on the PP and hard to knock off the puck though. Situationally, he could be a good player for the Oilers. Wish him the best.

If Zykov was a top 6 forward, he wouldn't have been on waivers

If Patrick Maroon can score 27 goals with McDavid and Draisaitl, you bet Zykov can score 20 there. Doesn't necessarily mean he's a top 6 forward on his own. But i think the Oilers should give it a go and put him there. He brings the same stuff as Maroon did and has arguably better hands and shot. McDavid and Drai run the show anyway so Zykov can just focus on the things he needs to bring to the line which is net front presence and tough along the boards on the cycle.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00