Claimed off Waivers: Oilers claim Zykov

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Can anyone chime in what kind of game we should expect from Valentin? The scouting reports seem to describe him a essentially a poor mans Thomas Vanek. Is that somewhat accurate?

Closer to a poor man’s Holmstrom or Hornqvist.

Very strong on his skates. Battles in front of the net well. Has excellent hands in the crease. Great finisher if the opportunity is there. Has a knack for pissing off the opposing goaltender.

Personally I think his skating issues are overblown. Not a speedster but he can keep up fine. Zykov spent much of the Summer as one of the only Hurricanes players training in Raleigh which was encouraging. Seems dedicated to winning a spot.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Sounds like Maroon 2.0

Oilers need a Pitlick or Slepshev too - speedy physical winger with a shoot first mentality.

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Heard he's not travelling with the team? Something about immigration? How long does it take to sort stuff like this out?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yeah. So there was one decent player in dozens of waiver claims.

If Chiarelli viewed Zykov as a top 6 forward, he wouldn't have let other teams get a chance at him.

The team I cheer for is not relevant. If my team had just picked a player off of waivers, I would not expect a 20 goal scorer. I'd pretty much expect a depth player that will probably end up back on waivers

1) Most of the fans saying he will score 20 goals next to McDavid aren’t Oilers fans .

2) We have put high end wingers (Hall & Eberle ) and it never worked . Chemistry is a real thing and with McDavid if a player can shoot he is likely to increase his production 10 fold . Again as long as the player can find chemistry which isn’t a sure thing but it is cheap enough to try .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I remember Edmonton making like 50+ picks outside of the first round this decade, yet I can't seem to remember like... anyone... Petry? Isn't he like the 'big name'? As an Oil guy, you shouldn't throw stones in a glass house :laugh:

Read the whole thread it was a Flames fan what started casting stones .

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
1) Most of the fans saying he will score 20 goals next to McDavid aren’t Oilers fans .

2) We have put high end wingers (Hall & Eberle ) and it never worked . Chemistry is a real thing and with McDavid if a player can shoot he is likely to increase his production 10 fold . Again as long as the player can find chemistry which isn’t a sure thing but it is cheap enough to try .
1) I didn't mention Oilers fans
2) I hope it works out because the battle of Alberta sucks now

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
It's been a week since they claimed Zykov. Anyone out there know what specifics behind getting a work Visa for a professional athlete could be taking so long?

I can't recall something like this in the past.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Uh, we are only 3 wins behind you with a game in hand. Last game we played was pretty intense, no?
Didn't we sweep them last year in the season series? Calgary fans are in no position to trash talk.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
1) I didn't mention Oilers fans
2) I hope it works out because the battle of Alberta sucks now

Is this foreal? I'm a leafs fan and I think the battle of alberta is amazing. Love the rivalry between drai and tkachuk in specific. Last game was so entertaining

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Didn't we sweep them last year in the season series? Calgary fans are in no position to trash talk.

Not that I disagree with the not being in position to trash talk, but one season where you won the season series doesn't erase the fact we won it for the majority of the last decade for many Flames Fans.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

I think it was actually 3-2 for the Oilers last year .

Edmonton 3-2 win
Edmonton 7-5 win
Edmonton 4-3 win shootout
Calgary 1-0 win
Calgary 3-2 win

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It's been a week since they claimed Zykov. Anyone out there know what specifics behind getting a work Visa for a professional athlete could be taking so long?

I can't recall something like this in the past.
samething is happening with Sherbak and LA although I think his Visa was just approved today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->