Claimed off Waivers: Oilers claim Zykov

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Highlights suggest this kid is really good at finishing around the net. Seems like a Hitchcock kind of player and that skill set is something this team badly needs more of. Hope he can find a way to get something done in the NHL.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You're gonna bring a young russian kid in to see the Kovalchuk circus up close? Doesn't seem like a great idea for anyone involved.

There is zero good god damned reason not to pick up a depth forward the roster is familiar with when we're bringing up last place with injuries. You can create competition, get Wagner or Rempal to the AHL for more minutes, and see if there's NHL upside for the future. And we're only at 44 contracts. He always had a good attitude and took a leadership role at camps.

Hope he gets hat tricks against us every time we play Edmonton until Rob Blake is suffocating under Zykov game pucks.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I will laugh my ass off if EDM gets their first line McD winger off waivers after all the high picks they have had.

I’ve been saying all year that Zykov deserves a shot on a team with a high end player that lacks top-6 winger depth. Edmonton and McDavid is the perfect landing spot. Not saying it is anything close to a sure thing, just that Zykov has real potential here to fill that role.

Did I mention he only makes $650k this year and next?

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Good for Z. He's slow, but he's a tank with a pretty good shot. This could work out nicely for the Oilers.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
For those not following the plot, Zykov isn't going to knock Chiasson off that first line or first PP spot. He's been excellent in that role this year, and frankly brings a similar but superior skillset to what Zykov brings.

Best case scenario is Zykov is slotted next to Nuge.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There is zero good god damned reason not to pick up a depth forward the roster is familiar with when we're bringing up last place with injuries. You can create competition, get Wagner or Rempal to the AHL for more minutes, and see if there's NHL upside for the future. And we're only at 44 contracts. He always had a good attitude and took a leadership role at camps.

Hope he gets hat tricks against us every time we play Edmonton until Rob Blake is suffocating under Zykov game pucks.

I’m so used to being the guy that’s mad that we didn’t do something smart I don’t know how to handle someone else being mad that we DID do something smart.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I will laugh my ass off if EDM gets their first line McD winger off waivers after all the high picks they have had.

Majority of the picks have been C... except Hall/Yak. JP is young (2 drafts ago). Same with Toronto... lots of Cs drafted high.

Reactions: McTrashBoat

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Zykov going to feast if he gets the chance next to McDavid. Physical winger that doesn’t get knocked off the puck. High-end net front skills and hands even among NHLers.

I'd like to see that but 11 goal Chiasson is on his RW now so don't see Zykov playing there right away.

Rantanen The Goat

Nov 20, 2018
For those not following the plot, Zykov isn't going to knock Chiasson off that first line or first PP spot. He's been excellent in that role this year, and frankly brings a similar but superior skillset to what Zykov brings.

Chiasson is not the answer lol. A 23 year old with a small nhl resume and a very good AHL resume will most certainly get a look. Considering he can play LW and RW it's even more likely that he sees that top line. It gives Edmonton options on the wing they desperately lack. To imply Chiasson is the solidified top line winger is a bit far fetched..

Reactions: Smart Alek

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

I'd like him to play with Draisaitl. Split McD and Drai up on the road.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd like him to play with Draisaitl. Split McD and Drai up on the road.
I would be okay with that.

Nuge - McDavid - Chiasson
Zykov - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Chiasson is not the answer lol. A 23 year old with a small nhl resume and a very good AHL resume will most certainly get a look. Considering he can play LW and RW it's even more likely that he sees that top line. It gives Edmonton options on the wing they desperately lack. To imply Chiasson is the solidified top line winger is a bit far fetched..

Again, you're not following the plot. Chiasson has 11 goals in 19 games. Until that well runs dry, you leave him up on the top line. Obviously I'm not saying he's the long term top line winger for this team, but he's that guy right now.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The Oilers really baffle me... I bet by the end of the season they'll probably have had the most NHL players play for them this season. But without a doubt, this is a good pick-up, just that they have too many players on their roster.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The Oilers really baffle me... I bet by the end of the season they'll probably have had the most NHL players play for them this season. But without a doubt, this is a good pick-up, just that they have too many players on their roster.

A bunch of the wingers are AHLers (Patrick Russell, Marody, Rattie, etc.). Reider is injured which sucks and JP goes up and down the lineup... and who knows if Hitch likes him or not.

Oilers will be waiving somebody in the future.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Zykov must suck if Oilers are claiming him. Their pro scouting on players (and prospects) is among the worst in the entire league.

inb4 Flames signed James Neal though

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I would be okay with that.

Nuge - McDavid - Chiasson
Zykov - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi

Again, you're not following the plot. Chiasson has 11 goals in 19 games. Until that well runs dry, you leave him up on the top line. Obviously I'm not saying he's the long term top line winger for this team, but he's that guy right now.

The thing with Chiasson is he’s been producing wherever he’s gone in the lineup.

Could very easily run:

Caggiula-McDavid-Drai
Chiasson-RNH-Puljujarvi
Zykov-Spooner-Khaira
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian

I agree that neither Caggiula or Chiasson deserve to be taken out of the top 6 at the moment but I’m hoping we didn’t claim the kid to park him in the press box.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Zykov must suck if Oilers are claiming him. Their pro scouting on players (and prospects) is among the worst in the entire league.

LOL what? Maroon, Letestu, Reider, Chiasson, Kassian, Brodziak have been good for us and cheap-o pick ups. The problem has been high-end D and consistent goaltending (Talbot was amazing one season).

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Our amateur scouting is fine these days. Pro scouting is kinda questionable but we’ve also got a guy no one wanted making league minimum and has more goals than Gaudreau, so...

I’m sure that David Rittich will keep up his Vezina level play though. Nothing to worry about in Cowtown.

Loving the ‘lol the guy’s career is over’ hot takes though. Endlessly funny. Really clever and witty stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00