Claimed off Waivers: Oilers claim Zykov

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Blake was likely avoiding the slow skating factor.

Blake would rather have players that can skate but not score, like Hagelin, than players that can't skate but can score, anyways. Seriously, I wonder if the controversy over Desjardins' use of Kovalchuk played a role. Adding another Russian at this point in time could've created even more of a distraction for the team.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers fans were this excited or more about Rattie and we all saw how that turned out. It's a big nothing move.

And Rattie produced for us while in a top line role prior to his injury. Not really his fault that he got hurt, or that the new coach doesn't like him (well, it probably is his fault do to his style, but if he doesn't get the top line icetime, he won't produce).

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
EDM now has 24 players on their NHL roster. If I had to guess I'd say Rattie is getting waived soon. Hitchcock doesn't seem to be a fan of him.

Remember when Rattie was tearing down preseason and people thought he was going to be the next new thing? He was like the Zykov of a few months ago. Zykov's not the best skater, and I'm not sure he's good enough to do more than Rattie. We'll see though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Remember when Rattie was tearing down preseason and people thought he was going to be the next new thing? He was like the Zykov of a few months ago. Zykov's not the best skater, and I'm not sure he's good enough to do more than Rattie. We'll see though.

In all fairness, Rattie would likely still be back on the top line scoring if he hadn't been injured, and then hadn't hired a coach who doesn't seem to trust him. It wasn't just preseason, he was doing pretty well on the top line when we were winning at the start of the season.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sometimes waiver pick-ups work, most of the time they don't. If Chia felt that Zykov was better than even 1 forward on our team then he would've been an idiot to pass on claiming him.

Reactions: spaghtti

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
If they thought he was going to be anything special they would not have shipped him out in the first place and would have found an alternative player that I sure they could have peddled,

Right. It’s also because the Kong’s has a glut
of bottom-six guys at the time.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
seems like he's meant for our powerplay

Considering PP2 was something like Lucic-Spooner-Caggiula, Garrison-Benning a couple nights ago, he couldn’t possibly make things any worse.

Thank goodness PP1 is producing, because PP2 could have a solid 60 minute powerplay and I’m honestly not convinced they’d win the game.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
To be fair, the perception that he's not that good would come from the fact that he was put on waivers.....not that the Oilers picked him up.
When it was said he was on waivers, lots of teams were hoping they could get him, and then all of sudden his career is over due to being picked by the oilers

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Can anyone chime in what kind of game we should expect from Valentin? The scouting reports seem to describe him a essentially a poor mans Thomas Vanek. Is that somewhat accurate?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad