Oilers Broadcast changes

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Yeah I was surprised and a little disappointed how calm he called the game after listening to some of his Punjabi calls. His Punjabi calls were fun even though I couldn't understand a word of it.
Me either, but he sure sounded excited lol

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I want to believe that isn’t the case. The opening night of the best pro league in the world is not the place to be inserting diversity hires. I want to believe that he was a fill in when other plans fell through. Or even that someone at SN liked his work and thought he could do the job. If it was a straight up diversity thing that’s pretty sad.

I agree that breaking him in on a national season opener probably wasn't the best timing, but it could have been an emergency substitution after all Gene was even out due to Covid protocols.

I don't think this is simple diversity hire because his Punjabi calls are so fun, that I would occasionally tune in to his broadcast on Hockey Night as it was more fun hearing him without understanding a word than whoever they assigned to the English broadcast. That said, I was underwhelmed at the quality of the call last night, both for mistakes and his general tone, but would like to hear him get a couple more opportunities because I think he's got some talent.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Sorry but that was the worst broadcasting I have ever heard last night. Zero emotion except when the Canucks scored for some reason and screwing up players name left and right. Get Quinn back now at least he can make it sound exciting.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yeah I was surprised and a little disappointed how calm he called the game after listening to some of his Punjabi calls. His Punjabi calls were fun even though I couldn't understand a word of it.

I saw someone (on Facebook I think) say maybe he was calmer and a bit monotone because he was resisting the urge to break into Punjabi. That would make a lot of sense, as for someone who has been calling games in Punjabi for a while, it would be easy to switch into that language when excited. I predict he'll improve as he gets more experience calling games in English, but I do think Jack Michaels (or Quinn, who I don't hate) would be better.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I do have to say and I said it during last season, I really am liking Bieksa.

Didn't like him as a player and thought he was awful when he first started doing minor things during broadcast, but the guy has come a long way. Nothing against Anthony Stewart, but having a guy that was in the NHL not that long ago really keeps some of the other guys in check. It was an issue I had with 1260 until Struds came along. Too many times guys that never played like to pass off information as if it's what goes on in a players head. Sure some of these guys have a lot of access to players, coaches, scouts, gm's etc., nothing will beat an actual player IMO. Also didn't hurt that a guy that had nothing to do with the Oiler organization and was somewhat hated had such nice things to say about Joey.

I also like some of the tidbits that Burke throws in from his time. His little Tidbits yesterday about how they had JP and Juolevi ranked right where they went is a nice refresher

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I do have to say and I said it during last season, I really am liking Bieksa.

Didn't like him as a player and thought he was awful when he first started doing minor things during broadcast, but the guy has come a long way. Nothing against Anthony Stewart, but having a guy that was in the NHL not that long ago really keeps some of the other guys in check. It was an issue I had with 1260 until Struds came along. Too many times guys that never played like to pass off information as if it's what goes on in a players head. Sure some of these guys have a lot of access to players, coaches, scouts, gm's etc., nothing will beat an actual player IMO. Also didn't hurt that a guy that had nothing to do with the Oiler organization and was somewhat hated had such nice things to say about Joey.

I also like some of the tidbits that Burke throws in from his time. His little Tidbits yesterday about how they had JP and Juolevi ranked right where they went is a nice refresher

I also think the fact that Bieksa played as many years as he did and personality wise is closer to what many of the current generation of players are helps bring the modern game focus into the analysis. I enjoyed him yesterday.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Don’t know what it is that bothered you guys so much, I thought Singh was perfectly fine, and appreciated the fact that he didn’t get overly excited and exaggerate his calls. Much rather listen to him calling games than what we’re about to get with Jack.
I mentioned early in the broadcast that I thought his problem was that his microphone was turned too low. I had a hard time hearing him over the piped in crowd noise and sounds of the game. It was distracting and annoying as hell. Sportsnet is so bush league in every aspect of their coverage and production values are no exception. They haven’t carried any live sports since the NHL and
MLB post seasons ended. It was a nice break not having any reason to watch that network for a couple months.

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My measure of Singh broadcast last night was the same way I assess NHL D. If you didn't make bonehead mistakes, stupid segments, and you weren't so annoying that it was noticeable, you did fine. Imo he passed that test. First game, and I think he was competent at what would be nerve wracking. For those saying he lacked emotion how hard do you think it would be to call games where you could hear a pin drop, you're every enunciation echoing, and the whole place as quiet as a church. I think a lot of people that felt the game, and the call was boring last night was still not used to the no fans in attendance pandemic games. Maybe people didn't take note during the play ins, but all the games since have lacked the kind of energy that fans give the game. Has little to do with Singh, or the quality of the game last night which was pretty good for a first game.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I mentioned early in the broadcast that I thought his problem was that his microphone was turned too low. I had a hard time hearing him over the piped in crowd noise and sounds of the game. It was distracting and annoying as hell. Sportsnet is so bush league in every aspect of their coverage and production values are no exception. They haven’t carried any live sports since the NHL and
MLB post seasons ended. It was a nice break not having any reason to watch that network for a couple months.

Bang. Totally agree. The piped in dumb sounds were too high, and the announcing and live rink, boards sounds were too low. Could hardly hear the players. When I watch hockey I want to hear the skate edges, I want to hear boards rattling, shots, I want mics on ice and boards. It was a poor feed, and it wasn't mixed well.

But when they had the panel on you could immediately hear the difference in volume, and of course commercials, always louder.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Positives on the broadcast.

For once they showed some of the pregame stuff, the lit up ice, projections, some of the pregame stuff and players skating around and taking shots. I like that. So often the crew just pan to the announcers the whole time. This had mroe the feel of being at the game, and was a plus.

next the Muckler and Moss segments were well done. Really enjoyed those, took me back, and they were touching moments.

Huge positive that they didn't go down the virtue hole again which was a league narrative script last time out. Just play hockey, just televise hockey.

Last positive is the Toronto to Edmonton feed was pretty much on cue. They ended the Toronto segment at 8:01 and went to commercials. often times they would tune into Edmonton just in time for the anthem. Thus us not getting the pregame experience. I suspect they did last night because of the Moss and Muckler tributes but at least Snet didn't screw that up arriving late. Prior game had gone to OT so it was a blessing.

The advertising was really not distracting at all. seemed well done. You hardly notice.

maybe its me but I really found the Oilers third jerseys unimpressive. Kind of ugly. The logo needs to be white background, otherwise just looks like a weird blue and orange negative print. Found it really unattractive. Maybe they just don't do well on TV. On tV the two hues don't look right together. Maybe different in person.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
it was way toooooooo boring. He didn't even call out major milestones in the game aka no last minute in the periods, waited almost 15 seconds to say Edmonton pulled the goalie. It was a poor performance.

There also seemed to be no colour guy. I missed banter and interesting facts.
I could really care less about what they are saying, as long as I hear what’s happening in the play, and he did that for the majority of the night. And I clearly heard him call the net empty multiple times, including the face off it began.

also, Louie was there, so maybe you just weren’t paying enough attention?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why would someone that's never called a game in English be hired to call professional hockey games in English? Is this an equality thing? Are there no competent, experienced PBP announcers out there?

Was there anything wrong with Singhs dictum? His voice was far clearer, in English, in his 2nd language, than Quinn's mouth full of marbles voice ever was in his first language. I could never understand how Quinn got into TV broadcasting. His voice is not clear. He mumbles, stammers, he trails off into laughter so often instead of finishing words. Didnt have the face or the voice for TV broadcasting. Everytime I tuned in I expected him to come into the 2nd period with a tooth missing (Hangover segue) beause half the time it seems like he's drunk. I'm not superficial, but f*** Quinn is hillbilly ugly. Kind of a weird mug for TV.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

Maybe it was the sound in your tv, because I heard him speaking fine. Also, this isn’t a very good argument for not being happy with Singh as an announcer?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I liked Quinn. I’m not gonna crap on the new guy, but it was an unnecessary change to begin with.

You mean when Quinn came in when the better guy was tossed unceremoniously? Quinn had connections or would never have gotten the gig. The whole time as fans we were stuck with this awful broadcaster. Quinn is among the worst I've heard on TV.

I actually said f*** yeah when it was confirmed he wasn't coming back. Felt as good as winning a game..

i mean I guess its subjective but the first time I saw Quinn I'm thinking holy f***, guy has a brother..

6c9b3813d9f832928aed48d51b2d0e4a0ddeab03feb37d7813cbabd0a6e017e9.jpg

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Sorry but that was the worst broadcasting I have ever heard last night. Zero emotion except when the Canucks scored for some reason and screwing up players name left and right. Get Quinn back now at least he can make it sound exciting.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

Singh followed the plays, sorta, but his delivery was putting me to sleep.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
From reading this thread and reddit comments, it seems hockey viewers tend to fall into one of two camps when it comes to play by play preference:

1. High energy excited cadence with effective inflections at mapping the energy of the game into an audio verbalized form.

2. Effectiveness at calling player names and efficiently describing the play on the ice.

Singh was excellent at (2) and awful at (1) which is why I think he is so divisive. Personally I would prefer a Type 1 announcer to a Type 2, and very few announcers are great at both, so I didn't much care for Singh but I like Jack Michaels.

Reactions: oilers'72 and ujju2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
From reading this thread and reddit comments, it seems hockey viewers tend to fall into one of two camps when it comes to play by play preference:

1. High energy excited cadence with effective inflections at mapping the energy of the game into an audio verbalized form.

2. Effectiveness at calling player names and efficiently describing the play on the ice.

Singh was excellent at (2) and awful at (1) which is why I think he is so divisive. Personally I would prefer a Type 1 announcer to a Type 2, and very few announcers are great at both, so I didn't much care for Singh but I like Jack Michaels.
He was passable at 2 imo. He got a lot of play calls straight up wrong. He was bang on with the names and players though

Reactions: McOvechking

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
He was passable at 2 imo. He got a lot of play calls straight up wrong. He was bang on with the names and players though
Yeah, you're right. He was excellent at getting the names right, and passable at efficiently calling the plays. I tend to give quite a bit of grace for the latter because it was his first English broadcast so he doesn't have a lot of the canned statements readily available at the tip of his tongue like a more seasoned guy would.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, you're right. He was excellent at getting the names right, and passable at efficiently calling the plays. I tend to give quite a bit of grace for the latter because it was his first English broadcast so he doesn't have a lot of the canned statements readily available at the tip of his tongue like a more seasoned guy would.
There was a few times where what he said happened...didn't happen. Which definitely could be trying to find theway to say it in English and getting it wrong. At the end of the day, it's not the end of the world. It was just dissapointing for the first game of the season

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
There was a few times where what he said happened...didn't happen. Which definitely could be trying to find theway to say it in English and getting it wrong. At the end of the day, it's not the end of the world. It was just dissapointing for the first game of the season
This is my take as well, however, his call on the Yamamoto goal is something I hope to never have to hear again.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think Singh was passable but that's it. He may have earned another chance, but he needs to do better. Sounded very passive for the most part, and seemed behind in the play.

As for Brian Burke, it seems like he always wants to be the contrarian regardless, and has a reputation to live up to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad