Oilers Broadcast changes

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
From reading this thread and reddit comments, it seems hockey viewers tend to fall into one of two camps when it comes to play by play preference:

1. High energy excited cadence with effective inflections at mapping the energy of the game into an audio verbalized form.

2. Effectiveness at calling player names and efficiently describing the play on the ice.

Singh was excellent at (2) and awful at (1) which is why I think he is so divisive. Personally I would prefer a Type 1 announcer to a Type 2, and very few announcers are great at both, so I didn't much care for Singh but I like Jack Michaels.

Nice post, and I do stress #2. I get myself into games. i don't need the excitement piped in. I do need proper call of the game, clear voice, good enunciation, less mistakes.

I like the way you broke it down. Its probably the case for most people. I would even wonder another thing. People that like reading books would be #2. People that like audiobooks instead would prefer #1. Interesting how you laid that out. yours is the first post to actually break down the like/dislike.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He was passable at 2 imo. He got a lot of play calls straight up wrong. He was bang on with the names and players though
100%. Remembering names and numbers is one thing, but actually describing the plays wrong is quite bad IMO. Be different if he was radio and you didn't realize it, but it had me thinking about things I shouldn't.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He was passable at 2 imo. He got a lot of play calls straight up wrong. He was bang on with the names and players though

Just curious what you mean, I didn't pick up on that. Actually I really liked how he was seamless and blended in. His playcalling so natural it wasn't at all annoying, over the top, just the right temperature for a Regular season game.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Just curious what you mean, I didn't pick up on that. Actually I really liked how he was seamless and blended in. His playcalling so natural it wasn't at all annoying, over the top, just the right temperature for a Regular season game.
I posted an example just now but there was a few times where he would say something like "Pulju takes our Hughes" while being not even close enough to touch him and calmly skating by. There were a couple other instances of that, that were glaring where he either over embellished or simply said something that didn't happen and rolled with it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I posted an example just now but there was a few times where he would say something like "Pulju takes our Hughes" while being not even close enough to touch him and calmly skating by. There were a couple other instances of that, that were glaring where he either over embellished or simply said something that didn't happen and rolled with it.

Ahhh, thanks. In fairness there were a lot of plays I would expect the Oilers players to make that didn't happen haha. maybe he was anticipating. Good first game in English though.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A last note, without the energy from the real fan noise and stuff the broadcasters need to bring that energy to the broadcast themselves. The calls need to become a little bit more to compensate for the experience. No one can go to a game and feel that energy and get pumped together. The only broadcasters need to start bringing that

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Was there anything wrong with Singhs dictum? His voice was far clearer, in English, in his 2nd language, than Quinn's mouth full of marbles voice ever was in his first language.
I just thought his voice lacked the intensity, emotion and most importantly the pace required. Don't take this as me wanting a Jack Michaels type. It only took a few minutes into the game for me to think 'this guy doesn't really sound right for this' without even thinking why.

I could never understand how Quinn got into TV broadcasting. His voice is not clear. He mumbles, stammers, he trails off into laughter so often instead of finishing words. Didnt have the face or the voice for TV broadcasting. Everytime I tuned in I expected him to come into the 2nd period with a tooth missing (Hangover segue) beause half the time it seems like he's drunk. I'm not superficial, but f*** Quinn is hillbilly ugly. Kind of a weird mug for TV.

Didn't realise physical appearance of the person you don't look at while the game is on played any part in a viewer's experience in watching a game. I didn't think he was great, but I wouldn't say he was bad.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ahhh, thanks. In fairness there were a lot of plays I would expect the Oilers players to make that didn't happen haha. maybe he was anticipating. Good first game in English though.
It was. I kind of wish they would of used him a bit later in the season, game 1s are supposed to by super hyped and exciting and his commentating wasn't. Which is fine but you want more to kick off the season.

Reactions: joestevens29

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
If it was some kind of last minute emergency and they had to have somebody fill in, then I’ll give him a pass. If this is to be a regular occurrence (In English), I suggest that he start at a lower level of hockey to hone his skills. Much like the players, a certain level of quality and experience is expected at this level.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

He got quite a few names wrongs as well, like Koekkoek's shot in the first that he credited to Jones or the Kahun pass to Kahun (i'm not sure either Kahun going off memory), but I can blame a bit of that on the hard to read numbers on the jerseys.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just thought his voice lacked the intensity, emotion and most importantly the pace required. It only took a few minutes into the game for me to think 'this guy doesn't really sound right for this' without even thinking why.

Didn't realise physical appearance of the person you don't look at played any part in a viewers experience in watching a game. I didn't think he was great, but I wouldn't say he was bad.

I should've been more polite and just said Quinn has a radio face. however I'm inclined to expressing my honest impressions, for better or worse. In another decade I might be mature, probably not. ;)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Stupid question but did a choice ever get made in this regard? I catch A LOT of Oil games for a Lightning fan because you're on later. Quinn isn't that bad except he spams "LETS IT GO!!" like 30 times a broadcast but listening to Drew try to formulate a thought is like passing a kidney stone.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think Singh was passable but that's it. He may have earned another chance, but he needs to do better. Sounded very passive for the most part, and seemed behind in the play.

As for Brian Burke, it seems like he always wants to be the contrarian regardless, and has a reputation to live up to.

Kind of like Hockey's Trump but with at least some conscience.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
He got quite a few names wrongs as well, like Koekkoek's shot in the first that he credited to Jones or the Kahun pass to Kahun (i'm not sure either Kahun going off memory), but I can blame a bit of that on the hard to read numbers on the jerseys.

Believe he got off on the wrong foot by calling the rink Rogers Arena. Downhill from there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

In fairness nobody can pronounce or spell Kokekoke and saying 4K on air just sounds unprofessional. I'd be tempted to call him Jones 2....;)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He was good at that for the most part, he at least said the people's names right. He got which player mixed up but I mean even on closeups I could barely read the names

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A last note, without the energy from the real fan noise and stuff the broadcasters need to bring that energy to the broadcast themselves. The calls need to become a little bit more to compensate for the experience. No one can go to a game and feel that energy and get pumped together. The only broadcasters need to start bringing that

I'll critique this once the players on the ice, like Kassian, figure out how to bring excitement and intensity without fans in attendance. The piped crowd noise is lame. What they did at World Juniors was superior. That was at least interesting.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Here he is in Punjabi. Lot more exciting.

ImME-zScD9Q

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'll critique this once the players on the ice, like Kassian, figure out how to bring excitement and intensity without fans in attendance. The piped crowd noise is lame. What they did at World Juniors was superior. That was at least interesting.
They need to do something. They need to at least bring back the music for the players inbetween whistles and stuff. Give the players some energy, anything

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The pbp was putrid. Terrible. Worse than I could have imagined.

No emotion. Multiple bad mess ups. Just bad.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Stupid question but did a choice ever get made in this regard? I catch A LOT of Oil games for a Lightning fan because you're on later. Quinn isn't that bad except he spams "LETS IT GO!!" like 30 times a broadcast but listening to Drew try to formulate a thought is like passing a kidney stone.

Be thankful you don't listen to Jones and Matheson asking 1minute long meandering questions in Oilers media scrums. They don't even know what questions they're asking.

its to the point where everybody including the players just rolls their eyes. I think it was Khabibulin who grinned, laughed, and said "I'm not answering that, next question" the whole room laughed.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Here he is in Punjabi. Lot more exciting.

ImME-zScD9Q

Is this punjabi youtube?

heh Not correct quotes. don't mind me, i'm random and a bit hungover.

edit, fixed, sorry

whoops, I take it all back. he must be an out of town fan. Boninos mother wouldn't cheer like that..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad