Pre-Game Talk: Oilers @ Boston Thursday 10/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
naming teams that have beat Boston doesn't negate the claim that Washington is the only team the Bruins cannot beat. if A equals B and C equals D, does A equal C? garbled-logic arguments may work on each other, but don't expect visitors to take it.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
naming teams that have beat Boston doesn't negate the claim that Washington is the only team the Bruins cannot beat. if A equals B and C equals D, does A equal C? garbled-logic arguments may work on each other, but don't expect visitors to take it.

No one asked "visitors" to give their input.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
Does your job involve something as physically demanding as being a pro athlete?

That's not even a catty response, because you might do something pretty heavy so it would relate.

I'm not going to turn this into a white collar vs blue collar topic. But I will agree where you are coming from but I also respectively disagree with you.

The same can be said for working professionals who have to trek globally and need to be in optimal mental shape for work vs physically.

I haven't lived in Edmonton for over a decade by profession but I still follow the team. Hopefully before the moderators ban us we can focus back on topic which bridge us - Oilers team itself. Anyone wants to prolong off topic can PM me - I'll voice my opinion.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
lol this board is unlikely to survive until tomorrow's game.
Nah dude, I'm fairly optimistic, that everybody cooled down a bit after the chaos, that the first GDT was :laugh:

I don't like the line changes either and am really feeling for JP. That poor guy can't do anything right in Todd's eyes. Let's hope he rips it on the 4th line and pots one. D pairs look good, if Bouchard would take Benning's spot.

We'll win that game!

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Omfg, Mclellan is out to ruin this kid. Every other top draft pick gets played with top players, sheltered when needed, put in positions to succeed and gain confidence.

But then there is our smart ass coach who does the complete ****ing opposite.

Forgive the intrusion......

Not all players get it. You only need to look to the south to see that Sam Bennett is treated pretty much the same way as Jessie.

I want to blame the coach and tell myself that he's being held back because there is some kind of grudge or agenda. Then after the second coach feels his usage is similar to the first one, you have to start wondering if there isn't something more to it?

We get to see the players for 8-16 minutes a night. The coach sees them for hours and hours a day. There's a good chance that they have insight that we don't and are making their line up decisions based on that information.

All I really know is that both teams need both players to break out in the worst of ways. They are similar in the fact that they both can look amazing at times and go completely un-noticed at others. As I seem to say every year......"this is going to be the year he puts it all together"!

A guy can hope, right??

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I'm not buying any lingering effects from jetlag for tomorrow's game. Not buying it. The team skated on their own for 2 weeks before TC and had a long, successful camp. They will have been back at least 96 hours before this next game. Poor effort and lack of skating will just be normal Oilers traits. A shitty powerplay will be classic McLellan.

Reactions: oil85

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
I'm not buying any lingering effects from jetlag for tomorrow's game. Not buying it. The team skated on their own for 2 weeks before TC and had a long, successful camp. They will have been back at least 96 hours before this next game. Poor effort and lack of skating will just be normal Oilers traits. A ****ty powerplay will be classic McLellan.

That's why we dont hear Lucic complaining :)

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I'm not buying any lingering effects from jetlag for tomorrow's game. Not buying it. The team skated on their own for 2 weeks before TC and had a long, successful camp. They will have been back at least 96 hours before this next game. Poor effort and lack of skating will just be normal Oilers traits. A ****ty powerplay will be classic McLellan.

There has been a lot of studies done on jet lag.

This book in particular is very informative:

Overcoming Jet Lag
Book by Charles Frederick Ehret and Lynne Waller Scanlon

My job requires a lot of travel....I do about 350,000 miles a year for the last 16 years. I used to suffer quite a lot from the effects of jet lag. I'm currently doing a regular flight from Houston to Oman.....it's brutal. First leg is 17 hours. Ugh!!

As the book mentions, there is no cure for jet lag, but you can prepare and lesson the effects.

Basically it's a four day eating plan that helps the body adapt quickly. It actually works.

And for those that think it's all a bunch of physiological mumbo jumbo, every senior member of the american government and military travels with a sleep adviser. It has been proven that people lack clear judgment when they are jet lagged. So they travel with people that make sure they are sleeping well, eating correctly and making good decisions.

The rule of thumb for jet lag is it takes about one day for every time zone you travel through to recover. As was mentioned before it is easier to fight let lag effects going with the clock instead of against it.

So, are there going to be players affected by jet lag in the Boston game.....6 time zones means about 6 days to recover. So it will be close.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

"Take it" back to your own board.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I don't doubt your experiences and these studies but it sounds like at least some hockey players may experience it differently.

“It’s tough and very individual. I remember Anton Lander could go back home and it took him one day (to get acclimatized). In my case, I feel a lot better coming back to North America than I did going over. I can sleep 10 hours now,” said Klefbom.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Everyone is different, however generally speaking the younger you are the easier it is for your body to adapt and heal. It bears mentioning that they went to Europe for a week or so, not a month. They will undoubtedly be tired from the travel, however they should get back into the swing of things shortly as their bodies should adapt quickly to its normal time zones. It's not as if all Euro players suck when they first come over from their home countries in the offseason just before the start of camp.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
I don't doubt your experiences and these studies but it sounds like at least some hockey players may experience it differently.

“It’s tough and very individual. I remember Anton Lander could go back home and it took him one day (to get acclimatized). In my case, I feel a lot better coming back to North America than I did going over. I can sleep 10 hours now,” said Klefbom.

If Oilers don't perform tomorrow it isn't jetleg - well except Brodziak - it's because they are "rusty" from 5 day break. All the best to McLellan.

CookiesAndMilk

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto

Overcoming Jet Lag

My job requires a lot of travel....I do about 350,000 miles a year for the last 16 years. I used to suffer quite a lot from the effects of jet lag. I'm currently doing a regular flight from Houston to Oman.....it's brutal. First leg is 17 hours. Ugh!!

As the book mentions, there is no cure for jet lag, but you can prepare and lesson the effects.

Basically it's a four day eating plan that helps the body adapt quickly. It actually works.

And for those that think it's all a bunch of physiological mumbo jumbo, every senior member of the american government and military travels with a sleep adviser. It has been proven that people lack clear judgment when they are jet lagged. So they travel with people that make sure they are sleeping well, eating correctly and making good decisions.

The rule of thumb for jet lag is it takes about one day for every time zone you travel through to recover. As was mentioned before it is easier to fight let lag effects going with the clock instead of against it.

So, are there going to be players affected by jet lag in the Boston game.....6 time zones means about 6 days to recover. So it will be close.
That's interesting, thank you for the inside. So it made kinda sense, that they had such a long break in between those games. Still, I hate those oversea games and I say that as someone, who lives in Switzerland. They don't have the same appeal to me.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Oh boy. If I see a single jet lag excuse after being home for 5 days... Can’t believe this is being discussed.

CookiesAndMilk

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Oh boy. If I see a single jet lag excuse after being home for 5 days... Can’t believe this is being discussed.
You know, I'm actually gonna give credit to the dude, who wrote a book about jet lag. He had a PhD as well.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Sorry. I completely disagree. 100%. Fully. Maybe it is for Brodziak since he's a comparatively older veteran but same can't be said for the rest of the squad. Any of this is complete BS.

As a person who frequently travels overseas along with many people, it's always easier chasing time flying west then vice versa.

I use to fly home to NS from Saudi Arabia. I was screwed up for a week. They say it takes a day for each time zone difference

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
From my experience I can say that jet lag is a real thing, but if you do things right there should be enough time between these games to shake it off. You can minimize the effect with careful sleeptime/wakeup planning, being extra careful with what you eat/don't eat before going to bed, properly timed melatonin and some other things so I'm disappointed if a professional team has trouble with this.

If you don't pay any attention to the issue and just go along with it (instead of forcing yourself to bed and waking up at correct times) it may take some time to get fixed, but otherwise I don't think it's a good enough explanation if they perform poorly.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

You guys know I travel a lot and anyone using the jetlag thing is full of hot air.

They were on their own private jet which is reportedly better than flying first class with mist airlines.

It is not like the needed to fly for 15 hours. A private jet can do Stockholm to Boston in 7 to 8 hours. Unless the players screwed around they had the room to crash out on the flight

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
You guys know I travel a lot and anyone using the jetlag thing is full of hot air.

They were on their own private jet which is reportedly better than flying first class with mist airlines.

It is not like the needed to fly for 15 hours. A private jet can do Stockholm to Boston in 7 to 8 hours. Unless the players screwed around they had the room to crash out on the flight

They were also away for a pretty short time and if the management played their part as they should there is no need to switch 100% accurately to the time of the destination. Just organize the schedule in a way that allows the team to live at a schedule that's 1-2 hours closer to normal.

In the NHL you need to travel a lot anyway so they already have a lot of experience with this so I don't expect any problems in that area.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just in response to the comment that the Bruins only have trouble with the Caps. This is the head to head record between these clubs over last 3 seasons:

Games involving Boston and Edmonton beginning with the 2015-16 season:

2015-16 season: Wed Dec 2 2015at Edm Edmonton 3, Boston 2 (SO)
2015-16 season: Mon Dec 14 2015at Bos Edmonton 3, Boston 2 (OT)
2016-17 season: Thu Jan 5 2017at Bos Edmonton 4, Boston 3
2016-17 season: Thu Mar 16 2017at Edm Edmonton 7, Boston 4
2017-18 season: Sun Nov 26 2017at Bos Edmonton 4, Boston 2
2017-18 season: Tue Feb 20 2018at Edm Boston 3, Edmonton 2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: McCombo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Overcoming Jet Lag

I don't really get this. Just anecdotally I've never been flight impacted by more than one day, and at that usually just for a couple hours. I get it worse going east, and I don't get it at all going west. That said 9-10hr flights have been the max but lots of time zones involved. I'm an avid hiker/scrambler as well so I would notice decreased performance. For instance in Maui or Kauai we did strenuous hikes within a day of being off the plane. Being that I have sinus congestion the only thing noticed is it being easier to breathe in Hawaii than in winter here.

I just don't think such a phenomenon can be generalized. Everybody seems to be affected differently. My wife isn't impacted at all. She doesn't even notice jetlag. Typically we drop suitcases in a room and are out the door site seeing within say an hour of a long flight. We're avid walkers too.

One study that would be interesting to see is if those individuals who have worked night shifts and have mastery over drastically altering their circadian rhythm experience less, or no noticeable jetlag. I've had jobs that involved night shift, crisis work, 24hrs on call etc. You just learn to deal with it because you have to.
Any Night shift worker I've ever known considers the first night shift back at work as difficult, but not the ensuing days. These often being people pulling 12hr overnight shifts in industry. Similarly longhaul truckers often used to drive for 15hrs at a time (not sure if they still do) one would think if all this time zone changing was all that difficult such an activity would be impossible. I mean pilots are flying these planes, right, and often with limited sleep and long shifts.

Last edited:

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I don't really get this. Just anecdotally I've never been flight impacted by more than one day, and at that usually just for a couple hours. I get it worse going east, and I don't get it at all going west. That said 9-10hr flights have been the max but lots of time zones involved. I'm an avid hiker/climber as well so I would notice decreased performance. For instance in Maui or Kauai we did strenuous hikes within a day of being off the plane. Being that I have sinus congestion the only thing noticed is it being easier to breathe in Hawaii than in winter here.

I just don't think such a phenomenon can be generalized. Everybody seems to be affected differently. My wife isn't impacted at all. She doesn't even notice jetlag. Typically we drop suitcases in a room and are out the door site seeing within say an hour of a long flight. We're avid walkers to.

I should have been more specific.......

I agree, physically I'm pretty good. I too have to get stuck in right after the plane lands. It's in a car and off to the site where I manage a crew of 80 guys. After years and years of doing it you just get used to it and get to the job at hand. But the industry also allows for a two day hand over with your relief so that you can get into the swing of things without putting the operation at risk. Same if I'm holidaying.....like you I travel to Hawaii, a lot. Nothing stops me from dropping the bags and hitting the beach for the sunset.....keeping in mind I'm usually coming from the Middle East so were talking 15 time zones.

I was more talking about the mental aspect of jet lag. It leaves you foggy, and not at 100%. I would think that given the brain power required to play hockey, split second decisions, and lots of them, it could have an effect on the individual.

But you're right, everyone is affected differently. You also have to remember that you arriving on a vacation differs greatly from someone arriving to do their job. Adrenaline, excitement, etc.....also plays a big part in the symptoms of jet lag.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
They were in Europe for a week now flew back to Boston with a huge break. Are y'all serious?
I saw instagram stories of their fancy plane. I guess the Sharks can complain on every road trip to Florida. Imagine the KHL teams in a league covering Asia and Europe.

Just lol. These guys are well paid, super fit, young, and surrounded by managers, coaches, at least one team doctor, medical staff, trainers, etc.

The effects of a night out in Vegas or NYC are gonna have a bigger impact than Jet lag in this scenario. Looch probably took some boys out last night in Boston for pops, but we in here talking about Jet lag.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad