Pre-Game Talk: Oilers @ Boston Thursday 10/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
I predicted a game 1 loss, after getting dominated by Calgary via shots/zone-time in the last pre-season home game, and a pretty lethargic showing against a motivated German team.
A game 1 loss is also exactly what I wanted. The best time to get a reality check is game 1, and I think it worked. I expect a surprising performance, win or lose, against Boston.
Prediction: 4-3 OT Win

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
He use to work at one of those academy's in Edmonton I believe. He'd be an awesome guy to teach kids. He's talked a lot about how he's dealt with his kids and about the changes to minor hockey.

Real good hockey mind.
Legitimately though - there's actual practical stuff there. Not just, "oh, hum, process.. Yeah, process," with just a blender of lines as the conclusion of it all.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think most Oiler fans applauded the hiring of Todd and Chia . I know I did . Looking back on Todd time with the Sharks he always had very good teams and he did nothing with them . Chia I have defended in the pass . He made a ton of small moves that worked . He made some small moves that didn't . Give a blind man enough darts and he will hit the target now and then . Chia has to be help responsible for the contends of the team . Todd has to be help accountable on the use of the players . He also needs to give top end draft players the chance to do what they were drafted to do . Puljujarvi was drafted as a fast skilled 2 way player . You do not play him on the 4th line unless you are developing him to be a 4th liner .

We will see how the team is doing in a month or so but if they are out of it I would like to see Todd fired and the line up changed just to tried it for a month or more

RNH McD Rattie
Benson Draisaitl Puljujarvi
Lucic Strome XXX soft minutes
Khaira Brodziak XXX

Yamamoto to the AHL
Kassian to whom ever will take him the same with Caggiula
Benning to the scrap heap

D

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bouchard
Russell Bear
scrub 1 or 2

PP1

McDavid Rattie Benson in front of the net

Nurse Bouchard . Nurse may not be a PP guy but he can move the puck and can skate to cover for any Bouchards mistakes

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Legitimately though - there's actual practical stuff there. Not just, "oh, hum, process.. Yeah, process," with just a blender of lines as the conclusion of it all.
I'm not overly pissed off right now. I'm still giving the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt.

I'm more going to look at things after that 10 game mark. The other thing that we don't see is what happens when they aren't playing. Maybe certain guys aren't practicing well. I know people dislike Caggiula, but he's a guy coaches like. He listens and works hard, so of course he gets more time than he should. It's small things that we don't always see and as I mentioned yesterday until they are back in Edmonton we aren't going to be seeing a lot of solid reports about practice.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Matheson saying Bouchard is indeed in tonight, not scratched. Brodziak HS'd for Caggiula :huh:

And JP stays on 3rd line with Strome, but with Caggiula on LW.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
safe to assume if the oilers do not come out guns blazing today, there should be some movement in the line up. Give draisaitl some speed with pool party and reider. Try lucic with mcdavid and nuge.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Lines for tonight:

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Caggiula - Strome - Puljujarvi
Rieder - Khaira - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Bouchard

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Lines for tonight:

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Caggiula - Strome - Puljujarvi
Rieder - Khaira - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Bouchard
need to see more from Draisaitl and Strome...

interesting to see McLellan put Benning on the 2nd pair...hopefully that pairing rebounds cause they were awful in Game 1

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Fair enough and I respect your opinion. But respectively I disagree. They have 5 DAYS between games to adapt time zones especially going west. Worst I've seen is more elderly heading east for no more than 7-10 days max. They are PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES for gawd sakes so they should adapt to changing environments even better. You don't hear Draisaitl or Puljujärvi expressing this vocally. If it really is hitting Brodziak that hurt then it's simple - he's not in optimal shape to play for Oilers.

first, it wasn't just Brodziak... the quote was .... “It seemed like everybody had trouble sleeping the first night over in Europe and coming back (Boston) it seemed nobody could stay awake, no matter how much they tried,” said Brodziak.

secondly, i'm not sure why it matters that they're pro athletes. jet lag will affect anyone and different people to different degree. in fact as i argued before i think this overseas jet lag would affect them more than a regular person just based on the fact that they are competing at the very highest level of a very physically and mentally demanding sport. Being just a bit cloudy in the mind could mean getting absolutely blown up with your head down or because you were slow in making a decision.

of course a regular person at a regular job won't notice being a bit hazy and lethargic much and would deem themselves "fine" but it will affect an elite athlete at his job.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
My doctor suggested it for sleep apnea. I go for that machine in the new year to get tested, but he said I should think about the marijuana as I might be stressed and not even know it.

No judgment, but how would weed help sleep apnea? I have sleep apnea and if I was any more relaxed when I sleep, I might actually swallow my tongue and instead of it just trying to kill me

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
This is seriously the best insomnia cure in the world.

I was on sleep medication for 12 years to fight insomnia.

My girlfriend had me try some edibles....now I sleep like a baby with none of the crazy ass side effects!!

You are 100% correct my friend. It's funny, I worked out Alberta at all different camps. I worked at wet camps (allowed to drink) and the fellas were useless. You couldn't get a good day work outta them. Constant fighting. I worked at a dry camp and my foreman always had a big piece of hash every work rotation. We would have a puff every night. I would be sleeping by 9 that night and up early morning roaring to go. We got stuff done.

U know it's funny. I find the drunks and coke heads are dead against pot. I have to shake my head. The pot heads I hang with all have very good jobs (Engineers, Business, Dentist, and so on) and never get in trouble. When you get on the booze, the fat woman start looking good

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I think most Oiler fans applauded the hiring of Todd and Chia . I know I did . Looking back on Todd time with the Sharks he always had very good teams and he did nothing with them . Chia I have defended in the pass . He made a ton of small moves that worked . He made some small moves that didn't . Give a blind man enough darts and he will hit the target now and then . Chia has to be help responsible for the contends of the team . Todd has to be help accountable on the use of the players . He also needs to give top end draft players the chance to do what they were drafted to do . Puljujarvi was drafted as a fast skilled 2 way player . You do not play him on the 4th line unless you are developing him to be a 4th liner .

We will see how the team is doing in a month or so but if they are out of it I would like to see Todd fired and the line up changed just to tried it for a month or more

RNH McD Rattie
Benson Draisaitl Puljujarvi
Lucic Strome XXX soft minutes
Khaira Brodziak XXX

Yamamoto to the AHL
Kassian to whom ever will take him the same with Caggiula
Benning to the scrap heap

D

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bouchard
Russell Bear
scrub 1 or 2

PP1

McDavid Rattie Benson in front of the net

Nurse Bouchard . Nurse may not be a PP guy but he can move the puck and can skate to cover for any Bouchards mistakes

You have great points. Todd could never get a talented SJ squad to the promise land. They had LA up 3 games to 0 and blew it. Im sorry but that is on the coach for not motivating the players.

Getting back to Puju. He was an MVP in the World Jr ffs. Play him in the top 6. He played unreal in pre-season and his reward is 4th line minutes 7-10 mins a game. Todd is ruining him. I like Benson, his vision is 2nd to none. My biggest fear was they would carry Bouchard and make him a healthy scratch. That is a great confidence booster. Todd relies on certain players too much. We got rid of the wrong Todd.

Reactions: PulYou

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Yup, it’s magic for sleep. I had ACL surgery and even on oxies I couldn’t sleep because of the pain. I switched to medicinal marijuana and was getting a full 8 hours sleep.

Oxy is bad shittt. My cousin is an ambulance driver in Glace Bay, NS. Constantly picking up bodies. He picked up a set of twins dead one night a couple of hours apart. He said the worst thing for people to do is when people die, DO NOT put in the paper anything related to Cancer in the Obituary. When the family goes to the funeral, their house are broken into and the Oxy is stolen

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
All I get from this is that Struds would be a better coach than McLellan.

Struds would be a players coach and he has experience in the game. He knows players and how to motivate them. I'm surprised he hasn't tried to take that step. But I guess having a young family he's going to looking at stability. Either way I would love Struds to be an assistant or consultant.

Reactions: PulYou
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad