Pre-Game Talk: Oilers @ Boston Thursday 10/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
so if the oilers end up at .500 after 10 games, any of you going to apologize for how badly you're ripping the coach?

some of you are getting pretty savage.

I should link to the thread where he was hired. 99% of you were doing cartwheels for getting a "real" coach. now he apparently isn't fit to lick boots.
shows how little the average fan knows about coaches in this league.

maybe if Talbot could save the first shot of the game, the team wouldn't be clenching their butts so much the rest of the way.
I mean when our special teams continue to look like garbage and he makes baffling line combos (something he has done every year here) no I won't apologize.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
A matter of time. I heard that about other runts like Omark, Shrimp, Schremp, etc.

maybe that matter of time could be anywhere other than topsix if he has such creative vision. I guess his vision involves virtually never touching the puck in real games and getting pummeled when he does.

Rieder has AVERAGED 14 goal seasons. More than any winger we have here save for lucic.

Clearly you missed Yamamoto being set up in the slot and just missing a goal on Saturday. The kid will start cashing in on those chances, no doubt. Took Hall 7 games to get his first goal.

Reactions: nabob

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
so if the oilers end up at .500 after 10 games, any of you going to apologize for how badly you're ripping the coach?

I should link to the thread where he was hired. 99% of you were doing cartwheels for getting a "real" coach. now he apparently isn't fit to lick boots.

maybe if Talbot could save the first shot of the game, the team wouldn't be clenching their butts so much the rest of the way.

.500 hockey isn't good enough. They need to come out of the first 10 games with 15 points. DO that and people will settle down around here.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
Bruins fan in peace. weird schedule, so far. I don't think y'all match up well against a very solid Boston team, so I believe that the Oilers would need a quick lead and a follow-up goal to keep the Bruins at bay. your pregame thread... exists, at least. have fun!

Last edited:

sundaysleftovers

Feb 28, 2013
Saskatchewan
Gregor for coach! Listening to him online, most of what he is saying I agree with.

On a more serious note, let's hope the shuffling of the bottom 6 lights a fire with these guys and they actually start playing hockey. If we are at the bottom of the league at the end of October my Oiler gear is going into storage :sarcasm:

Reactions: CycloneSweep

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

If the Oilers hit .500 after October, we should be rejoicing. By far the worst month of the schedule.

But what if we are 2-7-1?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If the Oilers hit .500 after October, we should be rejoicing. By far the worst month of the schedule.

But what if we are 2-7-1?

Yeah, it's a fine line. With the schedule being as it is, .500 would be a decent start, 2-7-1 probably leads to firing of a coach. That's a pretty fine line that Todd's running here. A couple fluky or shaky goals could be enough to end him. Perhaps that's why he seems to be making weird decisions, his room for error in October is minuscule.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I think it's a blessing in disguise this team has such a massive break between the second game.

They clearly are not ready tactically. If I was Katz I'd be screaming at Nicholson after the first game and seeing the leafs be everything we should have been.

The long break gives the new coaching staff to strategies. They need to introspection and take a look at Calgary Toronto etc and ask if their pp strategy is reasonable among other tactical issues.

Suspect if Katz has an iota of love for this team hell be watching the game very closely.
I half agree.I think a problem is it gave coaching staff too much time to think. The amount of line juggling after one game is infuriating. We had a fantastic preseason and a terrible first game but it seems like the plan is to panic from them

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
A big good skating big 4th over all pick is a 4th liner. What a clown show. The very second he was in the box for a goal against last game I 100% knew he was going to be tossed.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
.500 hockey isn't good enough. They need to come out of the first 10 games with 15 points. DO that and people will settle down around here.

15 points in the next nine games? That's a 133 point pace where 5 of the 9 games are on the road. Within those games they have 3 games against the last 3 Stanley Cup winning teams, and 5 games against the top 4 teams from last year. Those are realistic expectations.

Reactions: Yeah15 and Mez

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A big good skating big 4th over all pick is a 4th liner. What a clown show. The very second he was in the box for a goal against last game I 100% knew he was going to be tossed.

I honestly think that Chia is a fan of Jesse's while Todd clearly isn't. I'd love to see Jesse's smile if Chia punts Todd for being a stubborn ass with Jesse, biggest **** eating grin ever!

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He has to be the only coach in the league who thinks you're supposed to put players in the worst spot for them and then have them earn their way up to where they obviously should be.

Pulju looking good? 4th line. Lucic looking bad? 1st line. Benning looking bad? Top4. Bouchard looking good? Press box. Khaira looking good at #3LW? #4C. Right shots on PP1? Nope.

And he wonders why this team is off to a slow start(again).

The season is basically a throwaway until November/December when players either work their way out of the ridiculous spot they've been put in or give up and just settle into it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He has to be the only coach in the league who thinks you're supposed to put players in the worst spot for them and then have them earn their way up to where they obviously should be.

Pulju looking good? 4th line. Lucic looking bad? 1st line. Benning looking bad? Top4. Bouchard looking good? Press box. Khaira looking good at #3LW? #4C. Right shots on PP1? Nope.

The season is basically a throwaway until November/December when players either work their way out of the ridiculous spot they've been put in or give up and just settle into it.

Being real here, the only guy good enough to work himself up to the 1st line or PP1 is McDavid. Others have shown the ability but not consistently. Todd is a straight up hypocrite, says one thing then does the complete opposite days later.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton

I kinda agree with you but I personally think Lucic was one of our best players last game.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
Didn’t look to solid against the Caps
no doubt. never showed up. evened all seven goals back out over the next two games, though. Washington eats Rask alive. it's the only team the Bruins can't beat, so postseasons have to align around them or they need to plan a different strategy. (the postseason is like extra hockey after the season. they play for a trophy called the Stanley Cup. the Bruins sometimes qualify for that extra hockey. several of the guys that won a Cup in Boston earlier in this decade are still on the team.) seriously, though, does Edmonton fair well against Washington? Boston's plan is to still be playing when somebody else eliminates Washington -- it hasn't been working well enough for full satisfaction.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
no doubt. never showed up. evened all seven goals back out over the next two games, though. Washington eats Rask alive. it's the only team the Bruins can't beat, so postseasons have to align around them or they need to plan a different strategy. (the postseason is like extra hockey after the season. they play for a trophy called the Stanley Cup. the Bruins sometimes qualify for that extra hockey. several of the guys that won a Cup in Boston earlier in this decade are still on the team.) seriously, though, does Edmonton fair well against Washington? Boston's plan is to still be playing when somebody else eliminates Washington -- it hasn't been working well enough for full satisfaction.

“It’s the only team the Bruins can’t beat”

:laugh:

I think the Red Sox victory last night has made you over confident about your teams bud.

I’ll remember this comment Thursday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad