Pre-Game Talk: Oilers @ Boston Thursday 10/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
They were also away for a pretty short time and if the management played their part as they should there is no need to switch 100% accurately to the time of the destination. Just organize the schedule in a way that allows the team to live at a schedule that's 1-2 hours closer to normal.

In the NHL you need to travel a lot anyway so they already have a lot of experience with this so I don't expect any problems in that area.

Flight time LA to NYC is about 4.5 hours. They've done that a few times

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
They were in Europe for a week now flew back to Boston with a huge break. Are y'all serious?
I saw instagram stories of their fancy plane. I guess the Sharks can complain on every road trip to Florida. Imagine the KHL teams in a league covering Asia and Europe.

Just lol. These guys are well paid, super fit, young, and surrounded by managers, coaches, at least one team doctor, medical staff, trainers, etc.

The effects of a night out in Vegas or NYC are gonna have a bigger impact than Jet lag in this scenario. Looch probably took some boys out last night in Boston for pops, but we in here talking about Jet lag.
Pretty sure, that nobody will blame the Jet lag if we lose. I still think, it's interesting to know how you can be affected by it, even a week later.

Also good to know, that a huge salary is one of the reasons, that will prevent Jet lag. Thx for that.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
There has been a lot of studies done on jet lag.

This book in particular is very informative:

Overcoming Jet Lag
Book by Charles Frederick Ehret and Lynne Waller Scanlon

My job requires a lot of travel....I do about 350,000 miles a year for the last 16 years. I used to suffer quite a lot from the effects of jet lag. I'm currently doing a regular flight from Houston to Oman.....it's brutal. First leg is 17 hours. Ugh!!

As the book mentions, there is no cure for jet lag, but you can prepare and lesson the effects.

Basically it's a four day eating plan that helps the body adapt quickly. It actually works.

And for those that think it's all a bunch of physiological mumbo jumbo, every senior member of the american government and military travels with a sleep adviser. It has been proven that people lack clear judgment when they are jet lagged. So they travel with people that make sure they are sleeping well, eating correctly and making good decisions.

The rule of thumb for jet lag is it takes about one day for every time zone you travel through to recover. As was mentioned before it is easier to fight let lag effects going with the clock instead of against it.

So, are there going to be players affected by jet lag in the Boston game.....6 time zones means about 6 days to recover. So it will be close.

But....wouldn't that mean that the 'sleep adviser also traveled the same and has the same effects...possibly making poor decisions regarding the sleep habits of the senior members??
:D

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Pretty sure, that nobody will blame the Jet lag if we lose. I still think, it's interesting to know how you can be affected by it, even a week later.

Also good to know, that a huge salary is one of the reasons, that will prevent Jet lag. Thx for that.

A private jet where you can sleep has more to do with it. I flew on a private jet once from LA to London and it was the best sleep I had in my life.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Bruins fan in peace. weird schedule, so far. I don't think y'all match up well against a very solid Boston team, so I believe that the Oilers would need a quick lead and a follow-up goal to keep the Bruins at bay. your pregame thread... exists, at least. have fun!
Should be a lick button

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Does your job involve something as physically demanding as being a pro athlete?

That's not even a catty response, because you might do something pretty heavy so it would relate.

I had to reply as well. I worked in Middle East and it was a 7 hr time diff to NS. When I came home, it took me a good week to get use to time again. I was useless. I was in Denver in May and I was waking up every morning at 3 Am. It was west of NS and 3 hr time diff. I had to go to the weed clinic to fix that up. I slept good then.

Reactions: HK97 and McDNicks17

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
still say oilers will win if rask is in net. he's become just like talbot was last year and the opening game this year.

no team plays well if they can't trust their goalie to make a save, especially at the start of a game. Boston is no different.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Nah dude, I'm fairly optimistic, that everybody cooled down a bit after the chaos, that the first GDT was :laugh:

I don't like the line changes either and am really feeling for JP. That poor guy can't do anything right in Todd's eyes. Let's hope he rips it on the 4th line and pots one. D pairs look good, if Bouchard would take Benning's spot.

We'll win that game!

I feel bad for JP as well. What did he do wrong and what does he have to do? They are gonna ruin him. I know it was only pre-season, but man he looked good. What a reward you get, 4th line

Reactions: PulYou

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I had to reply as well. I worked in Middle East and it was a 7 hr time diff to NS. When I came home, it took me a good week to get use to time again. I was useless. I was in Denver in May and I was waking up every morning at 3 Am. It was west of NS and 3 hr time diff. I had to go to the weed clinic to fix that up. I slept good then.

This is seriously the best insomnia cure in the world.

I was on sleep medication for 12 years to fight insomnia.

My girlfriend had me try some edibles....now I sleep like a baby with none of the crazy ass side effects!!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
still say oilers will win if rask is in net. he's become just like talbot was last year and the opening game this year.

no team plays well if they can't trust their goalie to make a save, especially at the start of a game. Boston is no different.
What? Even with Rask in net, Boston has killer goal support and one of the best top lines in hockey. We have a top line and then a whole lot of nothing.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
What? Even with Rask in net, Boston has killer goal support and one of the best top lines in hockey. We have a top line and then a whole lot of nothing.

And by the way, Rask has the best average sv% in the history of the NHL (.922, the same as Hasek and Dryden from decades ago). Last season it was .917% and he's never played a season with less than .915.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This is seriously the best insomnia cure in the world.

I was on sleep medication for 12 years to fight insomnia.

My girlfriend had me try some edibles....now I sleep like a baby with none of the crazy ass side effects!!

Yup, it’s magic for sleep. I had ACL surgery and even on oxies I couldn’t sleep because of the pain. I switched to medicinal marijuana and was getting a full 8 hours sleep.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Struds had a real interesting comment yesterday. The lines are what they are there is no changing that for tonight, but what he'd like to see is the Centerman taking the lead and finding an identity.

He suggested that Khaira go out for supper with Caggiula and JP and come up with a game plan. Think Struds said something about having 3 or 4 shots, 3 or 4 hits and 2 good plays in the offensive end. He really was emphasizing that the players should have their own goals going into the game. Realistic ones on what they can do to be successful in the role given to them.

I never really thought about it before and I'm curious if our guys do this type of thing.

Struds was also surprised that Brodziak is out and would've rather the third line not change, but he also thinks it could be a message to the bottom six that they shouldn't take anything for granted.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yup, it’s magic for sleep. I had ACL surgery and even on oxies I couldn’t sleep because of the pain. I switched to medicinal marijuana and was getting a full 8 hours sleep.
My doctor suggested it for sleep apnea. I go for that machine in the new year to get tested, but he said I should think about the marijuana as I might be stressed and not even know it.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Struds had a real interesting comment yesterday. The lines are what they are there is no changing that for tonight, but what he'd like to see is the Centerman taking the lead and finding an identity.

He suggested that Khaira go out for supper with Caggiula and JP and come up with a game plan. Think Struds said something about having 3 or 4 shots, 3 or 4 hits and 2 good plays in the offensive end. He really was emphasizing that the players should have their own goals going into the game. Realistic ones on what they can do to be successful in the role given to them.

I never really thought about it before and I'm curious if our guys do this type of thing.

Struds was also surprised that Brodziak is out and would've rather the third line not change, but he also thinks it could be a message to the bottom six that they shouldn't take anything for granted.
All I get from this is that Struds would be a better coach than McLellan.

Reactions: Pressure and PulYou

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
And by the way, Rask has the best average sv% in the history of the NHL (.922, the same as Hasek and Dryden from decades ago). Last season it was .917% and he's never played a season with less than .915.

well for starters, a .915 save percentage is now only average, and puts you in the middle of the pack for an NHL goalie. and that's where
Rask has been the past 3 years. (for example, in 2015-16, that .915 put him 27th among qualifying goalies.) so I don't put much stock in the save percentage argument.

I also work with a boston fan who watches at least 60 boston games a year, so he doesn't just rely on basic stats. he actually watches his play.
he said Rask is a hot and cold goalie who often lets in bad, and early goals.
he also said Rask in the last few years has not really played well until after the first month of the season.

considering his shaky start to the year, I hope he plays and the oilers can take advantage of him not yet being in the zone.

Reactions: GameChanger

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
All I get from this is that Struds would be a better coach than McLellan.
He use to work at one of those academy's in Edmonton I believe. He'd be an awesome guy to teach kids. He's talked a lot about how he's dealt with his kids and about the changes to minor hockey.

Real good hockey mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad