Proposal: Oilers | Blue Jackets

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ignoring value the Oilers don't really have the opportunity that Jiricek seems to want based on his comments. They're a team that's pretty set on the powerplay. And he's not exactly a defensive stalwart at this point.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
To EDM:

David Jiricek

To CBJ:

Philip Broberg

Similar to the Gauthier - Drysdale deal.

CBJ has an abundance of RHD. EDM has an abundance of LHD. With Provorov potentially being dealt, that opens up a spot for Broberg. With Ceci not being a top-4 dman, Jiricek is an upgrade. It helps both squads out.
This is an all-timer. Holy hell. This offer would get beat by every team in the league in 2 seconds. If you’re gonna trade Broberg it’s gonna be for another reclamation project that plays a position of need.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
To EDM:

David Jiricek

To CBJ:

Philip Broberg

CBJ has an abundance of RHD. EDM has an abundance of LHD. With Provorov potentially being dealt, that opens up a spot for Broberg. With Ceci not being a top-4 dman, Jiricek is an upgrade. It helps both squads out.
Ceci isn't someone that we need to upgrade on. His performance as a top 4 defenseman is not questionable. Is Jiricek superior? Perhaps, I haven't watched enough of him to know, but despite his reputation being a bottom pair defenseman, his performance says otherwise.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Ceci isn't someone that we need to upgrade on. His performance as a top 4 defenseman is not questionable. Is Jiricek superior? Perhaps, I haven't watched enough of him to know, but despite his reputation being a bottom pair defenseman, his performance says otherwise.
i feel like the tune out of the oilers fan base during the weak start to the season was the complete opposite. ceci (and bouch) was deemed a must go piece.

from an outsider pov it looks like he is more of a complementary player, who looks good, when the team looks good. on the other hand he can't make a difference when things turn against your team. so in my book definitely a player you could and ideally would improve on.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Worked out pretty well actually. While he still has some warts he’s much much improved this year.

That card is from November.

Fresh out of the oven:
IMG_3141.png

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
So Boston could also offer Ullmark for McDavid, as Boston needs a Center and Edmonton needs a Goalie.
I understand the reply but lets not forget there are 13 year old kids on this site and they have no concept of value. Then there some like me that only watch their favourite team. It is the reason I never make offers for another team player.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This is why post my comment on most people have not clue what is happening with another team. Broberg had a meeting with Holland and they were seen shake hands after it was reported Broberg was unhappy with sitting and wanted playing time. I also think it is the reason Kulak has popped on at number 11 on the TSN trade boards. The Oilers know he is ready for the NHL.

As for value all things being equal a RD has more value than a LD. If it was me I would be more concern about Brobergs injuries . As soon as he gets any traction he seems to get injured and that has slowed his development.

Reactions: TFHockey

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I understand the reply but lets not forget there are 13 year old kids on this site and they have no concept of value. Then there some like me that only watch their favourite team. It is the reason I never make offers for another team player.
therefore i gave him a similar scenario where his team would be on the losing end, so he hopefully can understand his proposal wasn't perfect. there was no personal attack or anything included.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
This is why post my comment on most people have not clue what is happening with another team. Broberg had a meeting with Holland and they were seen shake hands after it was reported Broberg was unhappy with sitting and wanted playing time. I also think it is the reason Kulak has popped on at number 11 on the TSN trade boards. The Oilers know he is ready for the NHL.

As for value all things being equal a RD has more value than a LD. If it was me I would be more concern about Brobergs injuries . As soon as he gets any traction he seems to get injured and that has slowed his development.
I live in Alberta so I follow both Alberta teams closely as well as the Devils.
Having an extra bottom pair D in Broberg is part of it butt he reason Kulak has popped up is more to do with having no cap space than making room for Broberg.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I live in Alberta so I follow both Alberta teams closely as well as the Devils.
Having an extra bottom pair D in Broberg is part of it butt he reason Kulak has popped up is more to do with having no cap space than making room for Broberg.

If Holland and co. don't think Broberg is ready they won't move Kulak. So if Kulak is available that means they think Broberg IS ready. So I guess we'll see what happens.

I think the team still projects Broberg to be a 3-4 guy.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If Holland and co. don't think Broberg is ready they won't move Kulak. So if Kulak is available that means they think Broberg IS ready. So I guess we'll see what happens.

I think the team still projects Broberg to be a 3-4 guy.
I think it's more about cap space and them hoping Broberg could fill in bottom pair minutes. They need the space and Kulak is the most expendable.
Even if they project him to be a LHS 3-4 guy he doesn't get you a RHS guy that projects to be a 1-2 guy.

Of course, I know that in all likelihood you aren't one of the guys that think Broberg alone gets you Jiricek but I'm just trying to get back on track lol.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think it's more about cap space and them hoping Broberg could fill in bottom pair minutes. They need the space and Kulak is the most expendable.
Even if they project him to be a LHS 3-4 guy he doesn't get you a RHS guy that projects to be a 1-2 guy.

Of course, I know that in all likelihood you aren't one of the guys that think Broberg alone gets you Jiricek but I'm just trying to get back on track lol.

I agree with you on all of these points.

The Oilers DO need an upgrade on the right side. Ceci has been okay, not bad and not great. Let's say good enough.

However if this team is going to go for it this year grabbing a really good upgrade on Ceci would be a smart move. They'd have to move his contract along with a pick or a prospect (or both) to get a guy like that.

Then a third line two way center and a back up for Skinner as insurance. Can Holland find another Ekholm type trade out there? That was a home run for the Oilers.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I agree with you on all of these points.

The Oilers DO need an upgrade on the right side. Ceci has been okay, not bad and not great. Let's say good enough.

However if this team is going to go for it this year grabbing a really good upgrade on Ceci would be a smart move. They'd have to move his contract along with a pick or a prospect (or both) to get a guy like that.

Then a third line two way center and a back up for Skinner as insurance. Can Holland find another Ekholm type trade out there? That was a home run for the Oilers.
Absolutely they need an upgrade on Ceci I don't know how achievable it is in the season though.
A legit backup goalie would also be nice, nothing against Pickard but if something happens to Skinner he's not the guy I'd want to be relying on.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
To EDM:

David Jiricek

To CBJ:

Philip Broberg

This is the kind of my team absolutely wins and the other team gets a guy we don't even want that I have come to expect around here.

Is this people was a vote it would have been shut down in 5 mins

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Haven't seen that stated anywhere else, so I'm intrigued
The analytics state it. Don’t worry, you’ll hear the talking heads “state it” soon. So that you’ll know what to believe. They are usually a month or two behind actual things happening, like how they thought the oilers resurgence was just mDavID cArRYinG tHe oIlERs aGAiN

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The analytics state it. Don’t worry, you’ll hear the talking heads “state it” soon. So that you’ll know what to believe. They are usually a month or two behind actual things happening, like how they thought the oilers resurgence was just mDavID cArRYinG tHe oIlERs aGAiN
Interesting. I'm not one to dig into the analytics since I don't understand them well enough.
I usually wait for someone to post them with the "analytics for dummies" explanation attached.
Figured those results would have made the mains by now, so probably just missed them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad