Proposal: Oilers | Blue Jackets

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ahh I remember when fans laughed at Trade Proposals including Mcleod too, now the Oilers would be dumb to take a 1st for him. And I remember when Foegele was a “cap dump” with no value and now there’d be a line around the block for his services. And let’s not forget when 8.5M was a hilarious overpay for Draisaitl and then he goes and continues to prove what Oilers fans already knew, that’s he’s a playoff beast and perfect wingman for McDavid. (Oh and he won a Hart, Art, and Lindsey too).

If you don’t know the player or players it’s fine, not everyone watches all the games or watches AHL games. But just cause you haven’t personally seen the potential in a player doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
OP, man that's a beyond brutal trade for Columbus. Adding our 1st maybe. Even still Columbus doesn't need picks.

I don't even see Broberg as a bust but he's 100% slid value wise since his draft year. D+5 and he wasn't able to force Kulak out of the lineup when we need to find a guy like Kulak to move cap wise to address needs at the deadline?

Like it or not Broberg just doesn't have high trade value at this time. In a vacuum his trade value is likely a 2nd. I could see a few teams willing to roll the dice and see what's there @ 2nd. Can't see any team even remotely considering him for a 1st rounder. We'd be laughed at for suggesting it, rightfully so. Jiricek most teams would jump at swapping their 1st for him. Still seen as one of if not the best RD from that draft.

FYI these one sided proposals are typical of the OP. We don't claim him.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Ahh I remember when fans laughed at Trade Proposals including Mcleod too, now the Oilers would be dumb to take a 1st for him. And I remember when Foegele was a “cap dump” with no value and now there’d be a line around the block for his services. And let’s not forget when 8.5M was a hilarious overpay for Draisaitl and then he goes and continues to prove what Oilers fans already knew, that’s he’s a playoff beast and perfect wingman for McDavid. (Oh and he won a Hart, Art, and Lindsey too).

If you don’t know the player or players it’s fine, not everyone watches all the games or watches AHL games. But just cause you haven’t personally seen the potential in a player doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
I enjoy this followed by the 2 posts after it

Reactions: Fro

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Broberg shouldn't even be in the AHL at D+5 for a top 10 pick. And he's looked bad every time he's in the NHL. Played 10 NHL games this season. 0-0-0 with -2. Wow... Amazing!

To be fair, Broberg was dressed as a 7th D while we went 11F-7D under Woodcroft. He was also slotting in on his off side. A guy without NHL experience being forced to make plays off his backhand wasn't putting Broberg in a position to succeed. I've been out spoken on this so it's not me just saying it now for the sake of it. That aside, he hasn't shown much at all at the NHL level. His skating stands out. He has size. There might be an NHL player there still, just not likely one that will make the selection ever look good based on draft position.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I enjoy this followed by the 2 posts after it

Well those are value evaluations moreso, than an evaluation of the player himself and the potential he presents. I’ve noted earlier that Jiricek is the sexier name and the higher ceiling, but regardless that doesn’t make Broberg some throw away. Like there’s no way in hell the Oilers would take a 2nd round pick for him considering his potential and uptick in performance and nearly guaranteed NHL toolset. Some Oilers fans were ready to dump Mcleod just 2 months ago, weeks before he finally made due on his potential.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
To be fair, Broberg was dressed as a 7th D while we went 11F-7D under Woodcroft. He was also slotting in on his off side. A guy without NHL experience being forced to make plays off his backhand wasn't putting Broberg in a position to succeed. I've been out spoken on this so it's not me just saying it now for the sake of it. That aside, he hasn't shown much at all at the NHL level. His skating stands out. He has size. There might be an NHL player there still, just not likely one that will make the selection ever look good based on draft position.
The Avs played Byram off hand to start to this season and it set him back quite a bit. He’s been better. Much better, on his strong side since they aborted that experiment.

It’s weird making young NHL defenders play off hand and give them the assignment to QB the defensive pair.

Bad coaching.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Broberg carries no where remotely near the value of Jiricek. Good grief man. This OP is awful. Lock worthy.
This is how I feel every time you weigh in on nuck proposal's. This is how cringe worthy you come across.
The sad thing is I don't think he's joking and there are actual oiler fans saying bustburg is better. WTF is going on have I crossed into bizzaro world?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The Oilers have 3 clear vet LHD ahead of him on the depth chart. (Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak) I wouldn't say its his fault. He hasn't been given opportunity, and when he has its been at his offside. Broberg is an absolute horse in the AHL right now, leading the Condors to an extremely good record in their past 15 games playing 25+ min a night. 16 points and +14 in 24 games playing in all situations.

If the price is WAY more than Broberg, the Oilers have no interest.
If you can't beat out Kulak, then I'm sorry, your value isn't close to Jiricek.

There's being a fan of a team... and then there's this.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
It’s a ceiling vs. sure thing type argument. So I can’t disagree with you there, comes down to what you prioritize for your franchise in its current state.
Take off the oil stained glasses for once. Your defence sucks and a 16 game stretch against shitty teams doesn't change the fact the same dgroup was 3-15. If Broberg who most on your board shit all over before one stretch in the AHL can't supplant Kulak in his D+5 season then chances are he's one of many who excel in the AHL and can't hack it higher up.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Take off the oil stained glasses for once. Your defence sucks and a 16 game stretch against shitty teams doesn't change the fact the same dgroup was 3-15. If Broberg who most on your board shit all over before one stretch in the AHL can't supplant Kulak in his D+5 season then chances are he's one of many who excel in the AHL and can't hack it higher up.

Our D sucks? It features the best 1st pair; and best 3rd pair in the League right now. It’s a D core that brought the Oilers into the playoffs only to lose against the eventual cup Winners.

Broberg was always going to be a long term project. He’s exactly where he should be at this point. Similarly Bouchard was brought up along slowly, which is why Barrie was brought in so Bouchard could focus on defence not offence. Broberg is being slowly brought along too and is on track to have a significant impact next year.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
This is how I feel every time you weigh in on nuck proposal's. This is how cringe worthy you come across.
The sad thing is I don't think he's joking and there are actual oiler fans saying bustburg is better. WTF is going on have I crossed into bizzaro world?
There are a lot of bozo Canadian fans than think their roster is bullet proof.

Vancouver is having a surprisingly good season. But Podkolzin is still an AHL player in his D+5 season and he’s looked absolutely lost in the NHL. At least he’s playing decently in the AHL. But he’s spent too much time in the minors. He’ll get one more shot in the NHL for Vancouver but that dude doesn’t carry much value until he plays well in the NHL. Seeing his name in proposals today is nonsense. He’s a throw in today.

Vancouver fans want the rest of us to believe he’s valuable. He’s not until he makes it happen the only league that matters by this point in his development.

Maybe it will finally translate next time he’s called up.

Good year for your club though. Even in the farm system where a few of them are shining. So congratulations on that.

I think Vancouver is more real than Winnipeg if I had to pick a team to regress in the back half of this season, I’d pick Peg and expect Vancouver to remain near the top of the west.

But your boy Boeser isn’t going to continue shooting 23%. He’ll regress just like Kuzmenko did. But I still think Vancouver will win games. Schedule isn’t easy but that club is good. Hughes is great. 2nd best Dman in the league. Underrated. EP also underrated. He’s a heck of a 200 ft player.

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Our D sucks? It features the best 1st pair; and best 3rd pair in the League right now. It’s a D core that brought the Oilers into the playoffs only to lose against the eventual cup Winners.

Broberg was always going to be a long term project. He’s exactly where he should be at this point. Similarly Bouchard was brought up along slowly, which is why Barrie was brought in so Bouchard could focus on defence not offence. Broberg is being slowly brought along too and is on track to have a significant impact next year.
How did that work out? Bouchard is all offense no defense.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The start him 2/3 in the offensive zone and he plays 10 times the amount on the PP that he does on the PK. You don't use a guy who can play defense like that. It's why his analytics are strong.

Aww cope more. Sounds a lot like the Draisaitl is just a product of McDavid arguments…. Until he won a Hart, Art, and Lindsey. Maybe you’ll change your tune when Bouch gets his first Norris votes. Bouch is an elite defenceman in this League; one half of the best defensive pair in the League.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Aww cope more. Sounds a lot like the Draisaitl is just a product of McDavid arguments…. Until he won a Hart, Art, and Lindsey. Maybe you’ll change your tune when Bouch gets his first Norris votes. Bouch is an elite defenceman in this League; one half of the best defensive pair in the League.
That was never an argument I made. It's comical that you think that pair is the best defensive pair in the league. But not surprising.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Who is saying Broberg is better?

The start him 2/3 in the offensive zone and he plays 10 times the amount on the PP that he does on the PK. You don't use a guy who can play defense like that. It's why his analytics are strong.
That's not true. Take a look at this zone starts again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad