Post-Game Talk: Oilers beat Stars in OT, 1-0 -- Koskinen, Klefbom the heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just watched the 1st period, holy crap how didn't we score there? 3 times where Khudobin had idea where the puck was or was coming from, tough luck to say the least. Should easily have been 1-2 goals up after that.

Oh, and McDavid:
WTF hippy-hair?!... With 09:00 mins left in the first breaking in infront of the net LARSSON IS RIGHT THERE, WITH A BIG OPEN NET INFRONT OF HIM!!! You almost cannot get anymore open than that. Why didn't you pass him there, did he kick your dog or what? Because I know you saw him (you see everything)! ... I cannot stay mad at you though. But my man Lars needs a goal, one goal and he'll move ahead of Hamilton, Faulk and Shattenkirk in D scoring; and tie Ekblad and Provorov... And the would be awesome for an offensive black hole!

Larsson wouldn't have scored anyway I think. Theres few players on this team that do score, which is the problem.

Is it just me or does Khudobin get away with wearing very large equipment. HE Covers nearly the whole net. I thought I was watching 1996 NHL again. Time to get the tape measure out and start measuring his equipment. Either he's 250lbs or his equipment is several sizes too big.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Reasonable criticism is fine. Whining about him not trying is lazy criticism and comes across as hating because I guarantee you Draisaitl doesn't show up to the rink and go 'AW GEE GUY'S I'M NOT GONNA TRY TODAY'. You ever see his face after a loss? ANY loss? The dude very obviously takes losing as hard as McDavid does. It's frankly insulting and stupid to suggest that Draisaitl isn't trying out there. It's more complex than trying. It's a matter of any number of things in any given game - his conditioning, **** length, opponents, positioning. Looking fast is half positioning: McDavid has unheard of acceleration and top speed, yes. But he's also blowing by teams on a nightly basis (10x more than other speedsters like Carl Hagelin) because he's reading the play better than everyone else and capitalizing on chances created by his positioning.

Call Draisaitl out for cheating for offense or for making bad reads. You'll get challenged but that's fair game. Calling him out for being lazy/not trying is just complete nonsense and makes your Kessel comparably HILARIOUS because he literally spent his entire time in Toronto ACTUALLY not giving a **** about the defensive zone. He's gotten a lot better with the Pens but he's still not as good or consistent as Draisaitl is defensively. And I love Kessel! I'm a bigger fan of him than I am Draisaitl when it comes to nonsensical emotions. But Draisaitl is the better (and far younger) player.

And before you go on about your 'wah Oilers homers don't know other players blah blah' nonsense, my second team is the Penguins, has been for a decade, and I am very confident I've seen Kessel play more than you have.

P.S. At the equivalent point in Kessel's NHL Career, his highest point was 60 points. Draisaitl has already bested that twice with 77 and 70 points in a lower scoring period.
Good point in their points at each age

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I never said that though, so...
Well...actually...

You definitely implied it with "Leon Draisaitl couldn't tie Phil Kessel's skates right now"...

Usually when someone makes that statement, they're inferring that that player is much better.
And since you've been complaining about Drai's defensive ability, the two can be easily linked.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well, it's true, Kessel did have a track record of driving a line before he came to Pittsburgh and has spent portions of his time there anchoring a third line. So to suggest, as the poster I responded to did, that he's merely a complimentary player is very misleading.

Sure, but if one ran a coefficient of which player see's more linemate career pts or ppg pts anytime they are on the ice Kessel is seeing some pretty helpful players. More so than Drai when he's getting buried on 2nd line.

I mean theres basically 5 players on this roster that even score goals. That's lol including Cagg and Chiasson.

The "Drai can't drive his own line" stuff is largely nonsense until we see him with 2nd line players that are capable of any sustained production or offensive support.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Aerrol

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Drai is a monster, that's all I can say. He is like a big diesel engine that just needs to be warmed up. How many times to you see him fend off checkers with 1 arm and control the puck and then fire a saucer pass to someone on the tape? I see it every game. For every fool that shot their mouth off about Drai, they should have to lick his jock straps after a game he played 30 mins. I'm sick of the BS of running a star outta town. We have too many Armchair GM's in Oilernation who flip flop more then Kaitlyn Jenner. I would still like to have a public hanging on those punks who called out McJesus and his family at the restaurant. People, we are only a couple of points out with 2 games in hand. Enjoy the ride and step back from the ledge ffs

Can I like this post twice?

Reactions: Oilers in NS

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I still find it interesting that the most vile things can be said about Yams and JP and no one here bats an eye, but say anything about Draisaitl, and the forum is calling for you to be banned.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Larsson wouldn't have scored anyway I think. Theres few players on this team that do score, which is the problem.

Is it just me or does Khudobin get away with wearing very large equipment. HE Covers nearly the whole net. I thought I was watching 1996 NHL again. Time to get the tape measure out and start measuring his equipment. Either he's 250lbs or his equipment is several sizes too big.

It was a tap in!

Easy goal... 100 % he would have scored, you can quote me on that :)

To me Khudobin looks .... how to say it being politically correct .... a tad bit overweight, bug I could be misstaken and it actually might be his gear though :laugh:

His face looks way bloated in the mask though

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
P.S. At the equivalent point in Kessel's NHL Career, his highest point was 60 points. Draisaitl has already bested that twice with 77 and 70 points in a lower scoring period.

Kessel scored 60 points in 70 games in 08-09 (a 70 point pace) as a 20 year old and 64 points as a 22 year old in 10-11 when scoring was roughly equivalent and he didn't get to play with Connor McDavid.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Yeah, how dare fans expect a player making $8.5 million to show a consistent effort. We're just gonna excuse him quitting on a breakaway and leaving Koskinen out to dry, that's what real fans do!

How dare a player making $8.5 million be on pace for 45 goals and 95 points! What terrible numbers. And not to mention he's lazy, fat, slow, drunk, and pouty.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Kessel scored 60 points in 70 games in 08-09 (a 70 point pace) as a 20 year old and 64 points as a 22 year old in 10-11 when scoring was roughly equivalent and he didn't get to play with Connor McDavid.

Okay, so at worst Draisaitl has bested that once and tied it a second time while being better in his own zone, much more physical, and having a dominant playoff series to his name. How does that affect the overall point? You want me to talk about areas Kessel was better? Definitely a better skater and better goal scorer. Less support, absolutely. Better stamina (I won't use conditioning given all the Kessel hotdog jokes though he obviously puts in the effort). Still doesn't change the fact Draisaitl at the same age is a more valuable player imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks and Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It was a tap in!

Easy goal... 100 % he would have scored, you can quote me on that :)

To me Khudobin looks .... how to say it being politically correct .... a tad bit overweight, bug I could be misstaken and it actually might be his gear though :laugh:

His face looks way bloated in the mask though

I dunno, I was pretty surprised last night when Klefbom cashed. Had to watch twice. But also to see if the zebras were going to wave this one off as well....heh

Our D need to score more. The other game Leon setups Larsson right in the slot, he has all day to skate right in, can make any move he wants, it was perfect execution as D had moved to cover Drai and McD. Larsson muffs a softy right into the goalie.

sigh

The Klef finish was nice. Just doesn't happen so often.;)

Reactions: LaGu

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I'm glad Drai is so dominant at 3 on 3 play, that will really come in handy if we make the playoffs...

Funny of you to make this comment considering he led the team (including McDavid!) in the 2017 playoffs. Draisaitl's dominant 3 on 3 play, along with his dominant playoff performance two years ago, speaks volumes to his ability as a clutch player.

Reactions: Oilfan2

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Sure, but if one ran a coefficient of which player see's more linemate career pts or ppg pts anytime they are on the ice Kessel is seeing some pretty helpful players. More so than Drai when he's getting buried on 2nd line.

Kessel's most common linemates in Toronto were Bozak, Lupul and JVR. Decent players, sure, but I'd argue if anyone was benefiting from that arrangement, it wasn't Phil.

I mean theres basically 5 players on this roster that even score goals. That's lol including Cagg and Chiasson.

The "Drai can't drive his own line" stuff is largely nonsense until we see him with 2nd line players that are capable of any sustained production or offensive support.

I have no idea why they haven't tried him with RNH at all. It seems like such an obvious fit, but we're now on a second coach and there's no sign that they're even considering it. Maybe RNH was the second puncher on the grassy knoll?

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I still find it interesting that the most vile things can be said about Yams and JP and no one here bats an eye, but say anything about Draisaitl, and the forum is calling for you to be banned.

I wouldn't call anything said about those 2 would be considered vile unless I've missed something. I consider things like openly questioning a player or coaches sexuality because of deployment to be vile, but that's just me.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Uhh.... what?

Drai - 24 gp 13 goals 27 points
Kessel - 23 gp 10 goals 28 points

You must be trolling.

2017/2018

Kessel : 34 goals, 58 assists, 92 points, lost in second round
Draisaitl: 25 goals, 45 assists, 70 points, missed playoffs

Yeah, I'm right. No need to thank me.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Funny of you to make this comment considering he led the team (including McDavid!) in the 2017 playoffs. Draisaitl's dominant 3 on 3 play, along with his dominant playoff performance two years ago, speaks volumes to his ability as a clutch player.

That's not a thing.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I dunno, I was pretty surprised last night when Klefbom cashed. Had to watch twice. But also to see if the zebras were going to wave this one off as well....heh

Our D need to score more. The other game Leon setups Larsson right in the slot, he has all day to skate right in, can make any move he wants, it was perfect execution as D had moved to cover Drai and McD. Larsson muffs a softy right into the goalie.

sigh

The Klef finish was nice. Just doesn't happen so often.;)
One Larsson goal will open the flood gates (relatively speaking ;)), he's been looking for a goal this year. More than any other D to be honest.

Last game (or was it vs anaheim?) he was so close. He should have scored there, even though he was not as open as in this game though...

Reactions: Aerrol

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Here's what I (and probably other posters) take an issue with. Yes, you have the right to criticize Draisaitl when he plays poorly. My problem is the character attacks (Drai is stupid, lazy, drunk, fat, ugly, overpaid, hungover, pouty). The reason certain posters develop a reputation for hating Draisaitl is because they jump all over every little turnover and neglect to mention when he's made a good play. If you're going to criticize the bad, you should balance it by praising the good; otherwise, you come off as a hater. My opinion.

What is this, kindergarten? Does he need his bum patted every time he makes a proper pass?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One Larsson goal will open the flood gates (relatively speaking), he's been looking for a goal this year. More than any other D to be honest.

Last game (or was it vs anaheim?) he was so close. He should have scored there, even though he was not as open as in this game though...
I'd think the guy with all the PP time who's expecting to be putting up some goals would be the one looking the most.

Reactions: LaGu

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Okay, so at worst Draisaitl has bested that once and tied it a second time while being better in his own zone, much more physical, and having a dominant playoff series to his name. How does that affect the overall point? You want me to talk about areas Kessel was better? Definitely a better skater and better goal scorer. Less support, absolutely. Better stamina (I won't use conditioning given all the Kessel hotdog jokes though he obviously puts in the effort). Still doesn't change the fact Draisaitl at the same age is a more valuable player imo.

The point here was that someone suggested that Drai being no better than a complimentary player is ok because that's all Kessel is, which I think is a misread of Kessel's pre-Penguins career. But even if you accept that premise, Drai being a mere complimentary player to McDavid poses a problem for a team that lacks any scoring depth beyond those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad