Post-Game Talk: Oilers beat Stars in OT, 1-0 -- Koskinen, Klefbom the heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
SRFwC61.gif

There’s what I’m talking about. Great video !

Reactions: McBeastMode

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Drai is a monster, that's all I can say. He is like a big diesel engine that just needs to be warmed up. How many times to you see him fend off checkers with 1 arm and control the puck and then fire a saucer pass to someone on the tape? I see it every game. For every fool that shot their mouth off about Drai, they should have to lick his jock straps after a game he played 30 mins. I'm sick of the BS of running a star outta town. We have too many Armchair GM's in Oilernation who flip flop more then Kaitlyn Jenner. I would still like to have a public hanging on those punks who called out McJesus and his family at the restaurant. People, we are only a couple of points out with 2 games in hand. Enjoy the ride and step back from the ledge ffs

Yeah, how dare fans expect a player making $8.5 million to show a consistent effort. We're just gonna excuse him quitting on a breakaway and leaving Koskinen out to dry, that's what real fans do!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The thing that worries me with this team are the final minute breakdowns when the Oilers have a one goal lead or in tie games that have plagued them for what seems to be an eternity. It seems the other team either hems them in and they get a prime scoring opportunity (or score) or the Oilers can't keep possession of the puck and get it deep into the other end. The other team then comes up ice and create a dangerous scoring chance (like last night) in what seems to be every single game that is close. I don't see other teams having this kind of problem. I'm hoping Hitchcock can find a solution to it because that's two straight games where this happened. The Oilers came out on the wrong end in Anaheim and the right end last night.

I'm happy they won, but holy **** Benn easily could have scored there in the dying seconds. Koskinen saved their asses big time.

I will say it is so nice to get this kind of goaltending.
A day later this is the post that describes where I am at. The Oilers nearly allowed the Dallas winning goal leaving Benn alone in front of the net with secs left.

So much junk still in the game and causes worry.

A fair assessment is both goalies saved both teams ass. But Dallas is missing their star defender, we aren't, and Dallas can outscore their defensive deficiencies, we can't.

Man goal scoring is just plummeting on this club. A result of opponents scouting our tendencies. Also of note that McDrai are taking a beating out there getting targeted heavily in every game. This time Drai showed more maturity than in Calgary but I didn't like the mule kick reaction on Polak, even though it was Polak..

This is the NHL protecting star players...

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
A day later this is the post that describes where I am at. The Oilers nearly allowed the Dallas winning goal leaving Benn alone in front of the net with secs left.

So much junk still in the game and causes worry.

A fair assessment is both goalies saved both teams ass. But Dallas is missing their star defender, we aren't, and Dallas can outscore their defensive deficiencies, we can't.

Man goal scoring is just plummeting on this club. A result of opponents scouting our tendencies. Also of note that McDrai are taking a beating out there getting targeted heavily in every game. This time Drai showed more maturity than in Calgary but I didn't like the mule kick reaction on Polak, even though it was Polak..

Peanut Butter fella don’t think to much of Drai

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
So I can tell by your tone you are not a Drai supporter. Wow , we got ourselves another complainer. Troll somewhere else please. I’m not even gonna report ya, I’ll just let all the true Oiler fans rip ya a new one

LOL take your whining and shove it. Just because I expect Draisaitl to play like the star he's paid to be doesn't mean I don't support him.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
LOL take your whining and shove it. Just because I expect Draisaitl to play like the star he's paid to be doesn't mean I don't support him.

Okay tough guy, sure sounded like you don’t support him. Oilers win and we have fools like you flapping your lips off. Enjoy the win and be thankful we have a power forward like Drai . I love watching him play. A man that big with hands like that is worth 8.5

Reactions: Duke74 and Aerrol

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Is Kessel not earning his pay because he's a great secondary player on a line with a superstar? If that's the role Draisaitl ultimately fulfills on the Oilers, that's fine by me.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
The only troll post is yours right here, people are allowed to have different opinions and expect more out of draisaitl.

You can be a Drai supporter and still criticize certain plays, like his lack of defending against anaheim

Bingo.

He has all the capability of being a great player. But he needs to consistently bring that.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Leon Draisaitl couldn't tie Phil Kessel's skates right now.

Come back when Draisaitl has multiple 30 goal seasons and a pair of Cup rings and then we'll talk.

Holy **** this fanbase is delusional.

.... Are you completely unaware of the irony in this post or did you only learn who Phil Kessel was when he was traded to the Penguins?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Yeah teams know refs won't do **** and the vaunted deterrent factor of guys like Lucic or Kassian doesn't seem to apply to everyday hacks, slashes and steer wrestling.

Speaking of goalscoring, here's a "fun" fact: the Oilers are on pace for 222 goals, 126 at 5V5. That's nearly 40 fewer 5v5 tallies than last season.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm glad Drai is so dominant at 3 on 3 play, that will really come in handy if we make the playoffs...

Kind of an odd post because the playoff sample suggests Drai is actually good at playoff hockey.

What suits his play is being able to play the same opponent multiple times in a row.

Not sure you thought the post through very well.

What was the point?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Kind of an odd post because the playoff sample suggests Drai is actually good at playoff hockey.

What suits his play is being able to play the same opponent multiple times in a row.

Not sure you thought the post through very well.

What was the point?

It was a tongue-in-cheek post.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Just watched the 1st period, holy crap how didn't we score there? 3 times where Khudobin had idea where the puck was or was coming from, tough luck to say the least. Should easily have been 1-2 goals up after that.

Oh, and McDavid:
WTF hippy-hair?!... With 09:00 mins left in the first breaking in infront of the net LARSSON IS RIGHT THERE, WITH A BIG OPEN NET INFRONT OF HIM!!! You almost cannot get anymore open than that. Why didn't you pass him there, did he kick your dog or what? Because I know you saw him (you see everything)! ... I cannot stay mad at you though. But my man Lars needs a goal, one goal and he'll move ahead of Hamilton, Faulk and Shattenkirk in D scoring; and tie Ekblad and Provorov... And that would be awesome for an offensive black hole!

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Further to my post above re: goals, the Oilers are on pace to score fewer 5v5 goals this year than they did for most years during the decade of darkness even though goal scoring is up league wide and they have two players on pace to top 90 points. The lack of offensive depth on this team is incredible and loading up one line on exacerbates the issue IMO.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Thank you for clarifying. It got lost in the fog of some pretty nonsensical things being stated.

I assume I shouldn't respond to the Kessel thing either.

Well, it's true, Kessel did have a track record of driving a line before he came to Pittsburgh and has spent portions of his time there anchoring a third line. So to suggest, as the poster I responded to did, that he's merely a complimentary player is very misleading.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Reasonable criticism is fine. Whining about him not trying is lazy criticism and comes across as hating because I guarantee you Draisaitl doesn't show up to the rink and go 'AW GEE GUY'S I'M NOT GONNA TRY TODAY'. You ever see his face after a loss? ANY loss? The dude very obviously takes losing as hard as McDavid does. It's frankly insulting and stupid to suggest that Draisaitl isn't trying out there. It's more complex than trying. It's a matter of any number of things in any given game - his conditioning, **** length, opponents, positioning. Looking fast is half positioning: McDavid has unheard of acceleration and top speed, yes. But he's also blowing by teams on a nightly basis (10x more than other speedsters like Carl Hagel in) because he's reading the play better than everyone else and capitalizing on chances created by his positioning.

Call Draisaitl out for cheating for offense or for making bad reads. You'll get challenged but that's fair game. Calling him out for being lazy/not trying is just complete nonsense and makes your Kessel comparably HILARIOUS because he literally spent his entire time in Toronto ACTUALLY not giving a **** about the defensive zone. He's gotten a lot better with the Pens but he's still not as good or consistent as Draisaitl is defensively. And I love Kessel! I'm a bigger fan of him than I am Draisaitl when it comes to nonsensical emotions. But Draisaitl is the better (and far younger player).

And before you go on about your 'wah Oilers homers don't know other players blah blah' nonsense, my second team is the Penguins, has been for a decade, and I am very confident I've seen Kessel play more than you have.

P.S. At the equivalent point in Kessel's NHL Career, his highest point was 60 points. Draisaitl has already bested that twice with 77 and 70 points in a lower scoring period.

The guy literally quit on Koskinen and you think being called out on that is lazy?

Hah. Whatever dude.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The guy literally quit on Koskinen and you think being called out on that is lazy?

Hah. Whatever dude.

I mean you seem to think Phil Kessel is the model of defensive effort here so excuse me if I call you out for terrible analysis.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad