Post-Game Talk: Oilers beat Stars in OT, 1-0 -- Koskinen, Klefbom the heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I still believe Talbot can rebound.
I’m hoping this season means a huge discount on his next contract, which will increase his trade value or just help us once he gets back to speed

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Klefbom comments in Swe papers today:

On the goal:
- That felt amazingly good. And I guess it was pretty good timing for my first of the year. I am really happy.
- That's the thing about OT though, we have an advantage over most teams there. Because we have a couple of the most skilled players in the world playing 3 on 3 in McDavid and Draisaitl. That I get to play with those guys obviously feels fantastic, and that I scored this time around... yeah, that was awesome.
On Hitch:
- Since we have hardly have had time to practice there have not been any significant changes really, but there are some tweaks which I think are promising. I mean he is a coach who has been in the business a while and has really won a lot. I think this will turn out pretty good.

(let's just say a bit more positive than after the LA game and leave it at that :))

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Klefbom comments in Swe papers today:

(let's just say a bit more positive than after the LA game and leave it at that :))
First off, does he just do phone calls with Swedish media all the time? Just curious.

Second, I am curious what changes Hitch is making. I mean in all fairness these guys just learned new things from Yawney. Would hate for Hitch to be yet again changing things for these guys. Although the quote does just say small tweaks.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Makes me wonder if the reason they use this lousy equipment is they enjoy having control of the outcome of games and are reluctant to give it up.

Could be the refs union pushing back. Not wanting to remove the human element of officiating..

Which is bull. If its a goal. Get it right. Lol.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
I dunno if that's confidence. That's just low defensive I.Q. You shouldn't have to be feeling good to understand you shouldn't be covering air in that situation.
I just think it means they're playing a bit scared and tight and not thinking. Every player in the NHL knows you need to look for the open guy there on that play.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The thing that worries me with this team are the final minute breakdowns when the Oilers have a one goal lead or in tie games that have plagued them for what seems to be an eternity. It seems the other team either hems them in and they get a prime scoring opportunity (or score) or the Oilers can't keep possession of the puck and get it deep into the other end. The other team then comes up ice and create a dangerous scoring chance (like last night) in what seems to be every single game that is close. I don't see other teams having this kind of problem. I'm hoping Hitchcock can find a solution to it because that's two straight games where this happened. The Oilers came out on the wrong end in Anaheim and the right end last night.

I'm happy they won, but holy shit Benn easily could have scored there in the dying seconds. Koskinen saved their asses big time.

I will say it is so nice to get this kind of goaltending.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
First off, does he just do phone calls with Swedish media all the time? Just curious.

Second, I am curious what changes Hitch is making. I mean in all fairness these guys just learned new things from Yawney. Would hate for Hitch to be yet again changing things for these guys. Although the quote does just say small tweaks.
Yes, we basically have a two reporters, one in NY and one in LA (working for different papers) who have the cell phone numbers of most SWE NHL players and call from time to time.

They call when something newsworthy happens, last game Klefbom 2 apples, this game 1 goal. Big difference in mood :)

What he said before was communication and playing closer together. But seems to be minor tweaks so far, which I think Hitch acknowledged. More focus on fwds.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Could be the refs union pushing back. Not wanting to remove the human element of officiating..

Which is bull. If its a goal. Get it right. Lol.
I suspect it is them. They made a lot of noise about the goaltender interference calls. Just to be clear, who made last nights call? Was it Toronto or the referee using the little iPad?

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I... cannot even with that no goal. What the ****??

It's almost as if they took a quick cursory look at it & didn't look at all the angles before making a decision because from the first overhead I even said it wasn't in but when they showed the in net camera it seemed pretty obvious it was in.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

They’ve gone from man on man to zone d. You can see that since game 1 w Hitch and is how Hitch coaches. Centres (or F1) also playing deeper. A lot more tightness to the breakout which has changed from the wall to low left or right zone. A stronger forecheck as well.

That sounds like a lot but to pro players it’s not.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Aerrol

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
They’ve gone from man on man to zone d. You can see that since game 1 w Hitch and is how Hitch coaches. Centres (or F1) also playing deeper. A lot more tightness to the breakout which has changed from the wall to low left or right zone. A stronger forecheck as well.

That sounds like a lot but to pro players it’s not.
Yep, I’m so glad that man to man is gone. It was painful to watch. Our guys following their guys around while a good stick here or there could have easily broken up a play. It was ridiculous

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
You see what you want to see. It is very close. Perhaps too close to overturn a no goal call on the ice?

I get what you're saying here but my biggest issue with these league reviews is they take 7 minutes to finally come to the conclusion that Kassian's skate ,or anybody else from any team because this has actually happened a lot, was 1/2 inch off the ice to nullify a nothing 2nd period goal.

They then take less than a minute to conclude Kesler isn't interferring with Talbot in the crease or this goal isn't in when the game is literally on the line with the decision. They should obviously take more time the more important the decision but it seems they do the exact opposite.

I see white between the goal line & puck on that replay & maybe it's an optical illusion or snow but it should take them longer than that to determine what's right IMO.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Man you guys. I haven't thought about the no goal call since Klefbom scored. After that its a total nothing event.

Getting up in arms about it isn't going to do anything. Every teams fans complain about the reffing. No one is out to get you.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I think however the ref called it on the ice would have been upheld by inconclusive review. It looked in to me but the goal line is not very clear at all.

As much as I always like to see mcpoints, it is good for the team that they generated a big goal without needing to go through McDavid.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Drai is a monster, that's all I can say. He is like a big diesel engine that just needs to be warmed up. How many times to you see him fend off checkers with 1 arm and control the puck and then fire a saucer pass to someone on the tape? I see it every game. For every fool that shot their mouth off about Drai, they should have to lick his jock straps after a game he played 30 mins. I'm sick of the BS of running a star outta town. We have too many Armchair GM's in Oilernation who flip flop more then Kaitlyn Jenner. I would still like to have a public hanging on those punks who called out McJesus and his family at the restaurant. People, we are only a couple of points out with 2 games in hand. Enjoy the ride and step back from the ledge ffs
SRFwC61.gif

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I still believe Talbot can rebound.
I’m hoping this season means a huge discount on his next contract, which will increase his trade value or just help us once he gets back to speed

Talbot will not be back in Edmonton next year discount or not.

He's failed 3 or the 4 years he's been here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Man you guys. I haven't thought about the no goal call since Klefbom scored. After that its a total nothing event.

Getting up in arms about it isn't going to do anything. Every teams fans complain about the reffing. No one is out to get you.
Which is fine on judgment calls to whether or not something was a slash or a hook, but when they review goals it's quite clear. There should be no reason for mistakes on that goal.

Oct 15, 2008
I think however the ref called it on the ice would have been upheld by inconclusive review. It looked in to me but the goal line is not very clear at all.

As much as I always like to see mcpoints, it is good for the team that they generated a big goal without needing to go through McDavid.
I thought it was in on the replay, but I can see how they would find it to be inconclusive upon review. If the ref on the ice called it a goal, it would likely have stayed a goal upon review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad