Dreger: Oilers and Sens were close to a Hall for Ceci deal before it fell through (Hall ended up in NJ)

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Dreger gets to rip on Ottawa and Edmonton with the same "story"?!

Gotta fill that airtime!

Yeah, pretty much.
Make sure to mention Ottawa needing ownership approval [riling up Sens fans]- check
Use a trade that had already caused great debate among Oilers fans, and make it seem as though they were willing to accept an even worse offer [riling up Oilers fans]- check

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
True or not, I'm guessing that had to be the most random radio segment ever. I'm trying to fatham what the heck could have prompted Dreger to spout off about a supposed trade that almost happened a year and a half ago. I'd actually get it if two of Edm/NJ/Ott played eachother anytime soon to create a buzz for the game. But they don't.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
True or not, I'm guessing that had to be the most random radio segment ever. I'm trying to fatham what the heck could have prompted Dreger to spout off about a supposed trade that almost happened a year and a half ago. I'd actually get it if two of Edm/NJ/Ott played eachother anytime soon to create a buzz for the game. But they don't.
Bringing up Hall's name on Edmonton radio is the easiest way to get your name out there. I didn't hear the segment so I don't know who initially brought it up but this is what Dreger does: drops speculation and then watches people eat it up. He did this a few months ago with something regarding the Oilers and then backtracked when it was obvious he was BSing.

Edit: a poster on our board was listening and Dreger said Hall for Ceci was a done deal. Dreger then immediately went on Twitter and claimed he just thinks that was just a variation of multiple deals discussed between EDM/OTT. Typical.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm not sure I believe this, Shero said there were talks that continued for a long time, like for several weeks. Starting at the draft. From what I heard, the trade went through several iterations. First EDM wanted a lesser defenseman. They went back and forth for a while, until Larsson was put on the table, and then Hall was put on the table, etc.

I have a hard time believing that this intense, weeks-long negotiation happened while EDM had a deal in principal and was waiting for Ottawa to "check with ownership".

I don't doubt Chia inquired about other defenseman before talking to Shero, perhaps even Ceci specifically, but this seems like a hodgepodge of semi-truths strung together for clicks.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I mean, it sucks that Ottawa narrowly missed out on Hall but hey, at least they have Matt Duchene!! And they get to keep Ceci since it only cost them Kyle Turris, Shane Bowers, Andrew Hammond, a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick instead!!

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'm not sure I believe this, Shero said there were talks that continued for a long time, like for several weeks. Starting at the draft. From what I heard, the trade went through several iterations. First EDM wanted a lesser defenseman. They went back and forth for a while, until Larsson was put on the table, and then Hall was put on the table, etc.

I have a hard time believing that this intense, weeks-long negotiation happened while EDM had a deal in principal and was waiting for Ottawa to "check with ownership".

I don't doubt Chia inquired about other defenseman before talking to Shero, perhaps even Ceci specifically, but this seems like a hodgepodge of semi-truths strung together for clicks.

More to this, Oilers radio guy/insider Bob Stauffer pretty much said outright on his show that Taylor Hall was being traded for Adam Larsson a good 4 or 5 days before the trade took place.

The timeline doesn't really make any sense here.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

At the press conference announcing the trade Chiarelli said he had watched Adam Larsson very closely during 2015-16. He really wanted the player.

I listened to the Dreger segment.

First he says there still might be bad blood between Chiarelli and the Senators over how he exited when he went to Boston and that this could prevent a deal for Hoffman. This sounds like more Dreger bullshit, because Chiarelli made two trades with the Senators while he was the Bruins GM.

re: Hall/Ceci, Dreger said the two teams were "real close" to making it and the reason it didn't happen was because Sens' management didn't get clearance quick enough from ownership. When his segment was over he went on Twitter to backtrack:

Last edited:

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
I thought I saw a rumor that the reason Chia went out east to make the trade is because he thought Calgary would not give him Derek England for Hall given the divisional rivalry.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
What would the Sens have looked like if this trade had happened? Insane Wing depth.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I highly doubt this was a serious possibility for the Oilers. I'm still shocked at how little the perceived value for Hall was though. Larsson straight up is robbery, Ceci straight up is insanity. This is why the Oilers are still struggling. You miss big time in Yak, you get half the return you should have on Hall, and you flip Ebs for Strome thus killing your forward depth. But they'll probably end up with Dahlin so no need to panic

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I mean, it sucks that Ottawa narrowly missed out on Hall but hey, at least they have Matt Duchene!! And they get to keep Ceci since it only cost them Kyle Turris, Shane Bowers, Andrew Hammond, a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick instead!!

Ah, yes- the old "Bitter Ex" card, eh?

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Ottawa ownership didn't clear the Ceci for Hall deal which is why it fell through. How do you not get clearance to that trade immediately?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but no doubt EDM fans would have claimed to have won that deal. Also proclaim that Ceci is one of the premier defensive defenseman in the National Hockey League before the trade.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Can you share this info over PM, or is that against the rules too?

I didn't intend to make this sound like I have some big piece of information, particularly about this alleged transaction. I don't know anything about this particular deal at all, just plenty about Dreger, his connections and how he conducts himself and all I'm able to say here is I wouldn't take anything that he "reports" seriously at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: vancityluongo

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Dreger gets to rip on Ottawa and Edmonton with the same "story"?!

Gotta fill that airtime!

Exactly. Dreger's such a hack that he couldn't even complete the trifecta:

"Chiarelli really needed a shakeup after failing to land a generational player in Auston Matthews at the draft"

Edit:

I didn't intend to make this sounds like I have some big piece of information, particularly about this alleged transaction. I don't know anything about this particular deal at all, just plenty about Dreger, his connections and how he conducts himself and all I'm able to say here is I wouldn't take anything that he "reports" seriously at all.

I'm still super curious to hear about this over PM if you're willing.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What would the Sens have looked like if this trade had happened? Insane Wing depth.

Hoffman was an RFA with 1 year of team control left at the time. He was coming off of the 1 year 2 million arbitration ruling. The Senators have a 68 million team budget, and Hoffman signed a 4 year contract shortly after this Hall trade would have taken place paying him 3.8 million in the first year and 5.65M each year beyond that. Of note, Ceci was an RFA at the time this deal would have supposedly taken place. Ceci later signed a 2 year deal with Ottawa paying him 2.2 in the first season and 3.3 in the second season.

The likely fallout from a Ceci for Hall swap would have been Ceci signing a long term deal in the 4 million AAV range with Edmonton, while Ottawa would have traded Hoffman's RFA rights else where and avoided signing the 4 year 5.187M extension they eventually signed with him. This is obviously pure speculation on my part, but Hall would make Hoffman redundant, and with a 68 million dollar budget, trading Hoffman's RFA rights shortly after the trade would have been the most logical way for the Senators to fit Taylor Hall's 6 million dollar salary in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad