Dreger: Oilers and Sens were close to a Hall for Ceci deal before it fell through (Hall ended up in NJ)

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Bringing up Hall's name on Edmonton radio is the easiest way to get your name out there. I didn't hear the segment so I don't know who initially brought it up but this is what Dreger does: drops speculation and then watches people eat it up. He did this a few months ago with something regarding the Oilers and then backtracked when it was obvious he was BSing.

Edit: a poster on our board was listening and Dreger said Hall for Ceci was a done deal. Dreger then immediately went on Twitter and claimed he just thinks that was just a variation of multiple deals discussed between EDM/OTT. Typical.

Yea, I don't believe a thing that comes out of Dreger's mouth anymore. Especially when it comes to all the "maybes" and "mights" that he constantly tosses around. I was just trying to figure out how the topic even got started and by who.

Didn't realize Hall was still a hot topic in Edmonton a year and a half later.

Just noticed that Ceci didn't even have a contract at the time of the Hall trade. He was only tendered his qualifying offer 2 two days before the trade happened.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I feel like this must be getting misreported. Maybe Ceci was on the table, maybe Hall was on the table, but can't imagine it was for each other straight up. Any chance this goes back to the Gryba trade even? I mean the lines of communication have been open for a while between the two orgs re: trading a Sens d-man.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I could believe that there could have been talks with those players, but that doesn't mean anything was imminent.

Imo, Ceci would have had a better chance at meeting his potential as an Oiler. Our team is starving for an offensive D. He would have got soft minutes, minutes on the PP, and all the minutes with our best players that he could handle here.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but no doubt EDM fans would have claimed to have won that deal. Also proclaim that Ceci is one of the premier defensive defenseman in the National Hockey League before the trade.
Naw we are not talking about the Leafs and any player they acquire.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We're all laughing at Ceci for the trade now but before it was Larsson everyone on the trade boards was demanding Subban/OEL/Weber types. That said this would have been extra horrible.
No Oilers fan was demanding Subban, Weber or OEL for the year or so before the trade. There was a time when we wanted that type of return (with pieces added from Edmonton in most cases), but before the trade, we all suspected a Hall trade was coming and didn't know what to expect. We scoffed at the thought of Hall for Hamonic straight across. We were excited at the thought of a Hall+ for Subban possible deal when that was brought up, and rightfully so, but knew it would include Hall as only a piece of the deal if it had happened.

I think Dreger is full of it though. Ceci isn't overly believeable, unless it was Ceci and Hoffman or something like that.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but no doubt EDM fans would have claimed to have won that deal. Also proclaim that Ceci is one of the premier defensive defenseman in the National Hockey League before the trade.
We got a better player in Larsson and nobody claims that we won that trade, only that it helped our team out, which it has - we would still be down a shut down defenseman and would be in cap hell if we hadn't traded Hall. We lost the better player and didn't get another piece to soften the blow, but our team is better for having done that trade. As is New Jersey's.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Probably one of the best non-trades made (well, from Edmonton's point of view)

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

Why do you say that? Go to the Oilers forums and read the Hall for Larsson trade thread... do you think we were all out celebrating in the streets?

Here's the thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/edm-njd-taylor-hall-for-adam-larsson-mod-warning-191.2098759/

Basically shows that your just making shit up and posting stuff bashing oilers fans for no reason

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why do you say that? Go to the Oilers forums and read the Hall for Larsson trade thread... do you think we were all out celebrating in the streets?
This. Only a handful were happy to see Hall move on. A lot were down right angry. Some accepted it as a necessary loss. In reality, the Oilers got a piece that they desperately needed, New Jersey did as well. One team paid a premium, the other got a deal.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I can't get into it here because of the rules of the site, but I would put zero stock into this "report." Take *anything* that Darren Dreger says with a massive grain of salt. I personally (and with very good reason) don't believe a single word he says. His "connections" are dubious at best and within the industry he has a very well earned reputation for being a stooge for agents and management in terms of parroting whatever he's told for whatever reasons they want.

He had Leaf sources when Nonis was around because their family, since then no real news breaks

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He had Leaf sources when Nonis was around because their family, since then no real news breaks
You can click his tag on the main page, and it shows all the Threads that have been created due to news he's broke:
That involves:

3 Way trade between Ott/Col/Nash involving Duchene has fallen through

Devils leaning towards taking Nico Hischier Friday

Islanders and Avalanche lead Eberle sweepstakes

Hammer more likely to be moved then Seabrook

Eberle has probably played last game for Oilers

Rangers "zeroing in" on Brendan Smith

That's on the first page alone, obviously he isn't perfect, no insider really is. But to the people who think he is on Eklunds level and just throws shit at the wall are very wrong. Even if he's wrong I have no problem with him throwing some stuff he's heard out there that probably won't happen. It's fun to discuss, and makes a league that doesn't have lots of movement a little less boring.

Reactions: Bozle

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
You can click his tag on the main page, and it shows all the Threads that have been created due to news he's broke:
That involves:

That's on the first page alone, obviously he isn't perfect, no insider really is. But to the people who think he is on Eklunds level and just throws **** at the wall are very wrong. Even if he's wrong I have no problem with him throwing some stuff he's heard out there that probably won't happen. It's fun to discuss, and makes a league that doesn't have lots of movement a little less boring.

I didn't say he was a hack, I just stated his Toronto outlets diminished. To be honest I think Bob throws him a bone now and then.

Reactions: FerrisRox

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I didn't say he was a hack, I just stated his Toronto outlets diminished. To be honest I think Bob throws him a bone now and then.
I don't think any insider really has much of an in for the Toronto team, they keep everything tight, just the way Lou operates -- and I also was just generally speaking, wasn't necessarily singling you out.

Who knows, Bob might -- but I don't see why he would. Dreger has been around a long time as well, and would definitely have his own sources. I just don't understand the hate he gets around here, some think he's nothing more than a Toronto schill.

A little unrelated, but I remember meeting him at the HHOF in Toronto with my buddy when I was like ~10, and he sat and talked rumors with us for a good 15 minutes, really nice man.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
This. Only a handful were happy to see Hall move on. A lot were down right angry. Some accepted it as a necessary loss. In reality, the Oilers got a piece that they desperately needed, New Jersey did as well. One team paid a premium, the other got a deal.
This was me.

I made a reference to trading away a Lamborghini from a team full of them for an F150 lol

Ceci (if true, which I doubt) would've been a Honda Civic lol

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That involves:

That's on the first page alone, obviously he isn't perfect, no insider really is. But to the people who think he is on Eklunds level and just throws **** at the wall are very wrong. Even if he's wrong I have no problem with him throwing some stuff he's heard out there that probably won't happen. It's fun to discuss, and makes a league that doesn't have lots of movement a little less boring.

He didn't break most of those though. The Eberle rumors were certainly mentioned by people before Dreger.

Reactions: FerrisRox

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oh my God is there a huge gap between two similar forward trades
Hall without the patience game nets Larsson
Duchene with bating and luring and nets a monster package
A monster package of question marks. I think Colorado did okay in the Duchene deal, but its pretty hard to compare two trades when one netted a 2/3 shutdown defenseman, and one netted a pile of prospects and picks.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
reminds me of when Ottawa nixed the Perry + 1st for Comrie deal....Funny that the sens just missed on two of the biggest steals ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad