Post-Game Talk: Oilers 7, Sabres 2

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
A fan of an opposing team posting that in our GDT before the game made me chuckle when it was 7-2.
Yeah, I was re-reading that and had a good laugh too. Just sayin', it's hockey and there are a lot of things that can happen until the playoffs. Imagine if Buffalo gets in and we don't, he was somehow kinda right.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
If Lucic can keep up this good play and chemistry with Nuge, our lines are starting to look better.

Chiasson - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - Nuge - XXX
Spooner - Khaira - Puljujarvi
Rieder - Brodziak - Kassian

If we trade our first for a top-6 winger, our offensive depth actually looks good. Based on previous seasons, that's a solid bottom-6, and a great top-6.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If I was a Sabres fan I would be totally incensed right now, that is the worst defensive effort I can recall the Oilers playing against in probably 3-4 years.

Now I know what other teams feel like when we play like crap in our own zone, their D zone coverage was non-existent. I dunno what "system" that is that Housley is employing but uh you might want to try defending before you have your guys flying the zone for an outlet pass. A guy stumbled twice on a breakaway and still was so far clear of any one on their team that it was a clean breakaway, how the hell does that even happen even if its McDavid.

On the bright side for them, Dahlin looks very dynamic, heck of a player. Needs more zip on his shot though, but he's a good one.

On the not so good side ... Eichel is a good player and no offence to him ... but thank goodness we got McDavid. Because its painful to imagine how bad we would be if that draft lottery didn't come up roses for us.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Will be nice to see Klefbom back. Wish Sekera the best but I don’t think we should expect him to have an impact when he comes back. Hopefully he does but I won’t be surprised if he doesn’t. I think he’s done personally. I hope I am wrong.
I would agree, with what he has been through at his age I would be surprised if he can be as close to as effective as he once was. That being said, our bottom pairing is still a black hole. Benning and Manning did nothing but hold our top line in our own zone tonight. Even if he can be a 1 legged #6, the experience and calm he bring could certainly be useful.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If Lucic can keep up this good play and chemistry with Nuge, our lines are starting to look better.

Lucic - Nuge - XXX

If we trade our first for a top-6 winger, our offensive depth actually looks good. Based on previous seasons, that's a solid bottom-6, and a great top-6.

Who do we realistically target for that top 6 winger spot? I’d say Stone but not 100 percent sure.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Lucic - Nuge - XXX

Enjoy tonight, because it's likely not happening again for a long, long time.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

Lucic - Nuge - XXX

Ease up on Lucic. He does this a few times a season.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Ease up on Lucic. He does this a few times a season.

Really? He was a consistent 50 point player, then had an absolute trash 2018. I definitely think he can rebound. Obviously he won't keep up this 60 goal pace, although his effort level this year has been a vast improvement, and I think the results will start to show.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
My fav post from the Sabers board....
"You let Milan ****ing Lucic score.

End the season already."

also this one
"87 total games for kass and lucic...3 goals

4 goals tonight amazing"

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My fav post from the Sabres board....

End the season already."

also this one

4 goals tonight amazing"

The Sabres board was, lets just say, entertaining.

I especially liked all the "Oilers are horrible, Oilers are a joke, Oilers can't play D posts in the first period.

Only we get to say crap like that...;)

One post was "Lucic scored, we need to be relegated" That was just the first Lurch goal.

I lolled at one sarcastic post. I have a kindred spirit in Buffalo without knowing it.

I won't quote it. Its too priceless. Classic cutdown.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
My fav post from the Sabres board....

End the season already."

also this one

4 goals tonight amazing"
Poor Sabres fans :sarcasm: some of them sure are reading our thread too and I wanna tell them right now, that this was a really rare occasion. They were part of something truly incredible. Embrace it and be happy. Hell will freeze over before such thing happens again.

(I hope, I eat my own words)

Reactions: space321

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If I was a Sabres fan I would be totally incensed right now, that is the worst defensive effort I can recall the Oilers playing against in probably 3-4 years.

Now I know what other teams feel like when we play like crap in our own zone, their D zone coverage was non-existent. I dunno what "system" that is that Housley is employing but uh you might want to try defending before you have your guys flying the zone for an outlet pass. A guy stumbled twice on a breakaway and still was so far clear of any one on their team that it was a clean breakaway, how the hell does that even happen even if its McDavid.

On the bright side for them, Dahlin looks very dynamic, heck of a player. Needs more zip on his shot though, but he's a good one.

On the not so good side ... Eichel is a good player and no offence to him ... but thank goodness we got McDavid. Because its painful to imagine how bad we would be if that draft lottery didn't come up roses for us.
I wondered if the Sabres players saw it was McDavid and just thought “screw it, he’s gone. It’s up to Hutton now” and coasted because of that. That’d be another issue for them.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
So won't the real Oilers please stand up, please stand up, please stand up?

Meh, all teams need to have a few bounces go right for 'em. Tonight was ours.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Don't wanna be a debbie downer here but I just saw Caggiula's scrap tonight and man does it piss me off that ChiaDumbass tradded him for Brandon ****in Manning

I really liked Caggs. Still pretty pissed he was traded. I think he added more than he cost in almost all the games he played. That said, he may just be a decent 4th liner at most, so perhaps it wont be the biggest lost. But still sucks because that's a player who could help us out more down the stretch. Depth is important. Adding Petro for the D should've been enough with how Jones has established himself. Forward depth is another matter.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Koskinen had arrived.

I'm pretty sure David Staples posts on this site because there's a dude who always complains about Koskinen's glove being weak and he does too.
I'm on to you!

Edit: Almost every goalie in the NHL is garbage glove high.

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Win one lose one that's their motto. Probably lose to the Canucks on Wednesday. Until I see a sustained winning steak, I still have low confidence in this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad