Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4, Red Wings 3

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Nothing he said was bashing him, people are allowed to critique your favorite player without your panties getting in a bunch.

I think the poster was remarking that he didn't have a very good game, but I may have misinterpreted his meaning, as I think he clarified later that he was discussing Puljujarvi's game.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Haven’t watched the last few games as I’ve been busy with work and hunting. From the highlights I find it funny that two of the scape goats on here in Caggiula and Koskinen have looked downright dominant. Not hearing to much about the Koskinen overpay now.

Also really liking how much our dmen are engaging on the offensive side of things. Larsson with a few big clappers, Klefbom joining the rush, Garrison on the PP. Just a few examples.

Also nice to see some secondary scoring. Looks like lines 1,2,4 have all found their grove. Seems like the Strome line is pretty well useless , but maybe they’re doing good things of the defensive side? Would be nice if we could get that 3rd line going as well. Have to think Lucic will be traded this year or next summer after his bonus is paid at this rate.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
As of now, there's only one team in the league with a better record than us in the last 10 games, and that's Nashville who've gone 8-2-0. We've gone 7-2-1 with only Tampa Bay and Minny equaling our pace. Pretty amazing, and great rebound after a tough start. Hope we can keep it up and pressure the Flames for first place in the division.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNumber4 and Raab

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Last year game #13 was also against the Red Wings. We lost 4-0 to bring our record on the year to 4-8-1.

We were pretty much sunk at that point. So happy we have a different story this year :)

Reactions: Coffey

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Oh I love HFoil....Praise and cheer any goalie that isn't Talbot for an .885 performance. Ive liked Koski so far but lets be real. If Talbot took his place last night people on here would be calling for his head instead of saying Detroits goals were lucky. He still has lots to prove before he can even be considered for starter or 1B.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oh I love HFoil....Praise and cheer any goalie that isn't Talbot for an .885 performance. Ive liked Koski so far but lets be real. If Talbot took his place last night people on here would be calling for his head instead of saying Detroits goals were lucky. He still has lots to prove before he can even be considered for starter or 1B.

This so many times. Its like people aren't happy with the team if they can't devour some of the players that ever even cause this to be a good club.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Why doesn't Lucic ever get benched? It'd because of his salary and it would be an embarrassment to Chia. If they did the right thing the team would be winning been more. This is the hidden cancer within the team. Luckily they win in spite of this.
Some of you guys need to stop focussing on what some players are making. Those contracts have been signed and they’re not going away. As long as they’re still Oilers the goal is finding some way and some place they can fit in to help the team. Even if it isn’t in the role they were expected to be in.

Reactions: Mr Positive

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think Pulju needs to be sent down to be honest. Rather have Marody in the lineup at this point.

I'd send down both of Puljujärvi and Yamamoto. I really like Marody, but we already have Rattie waiting to draw back into the lineup. Marody might be better off playing top minutes in the AHL alongside guys like Pulju, Yama, and Benson.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1 and Duke74

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I'd send down both of Puljujärvi and Yamamoto. I really like Marody, but we already have Rattie waiting to draw back into the lineup. Marody might be better off playing top minutes in the AHL alongside guys like Pulju, Yama, and Benson.
Totally forgot about Rattie. I agree.

Reactions: ujju2

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

Talbot hasn't earned any benefit of doubt. 16/17 is beginning to look like an aberration for him.

Reactions: GMofOilers

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Some of you guys need to stop focussing on what some players are making. Those contracts have been signed and they’re not going away. As long as they’re still Oilers the goal is finding some way and some place they can fit in to help the team. Even if it isn’t in the role they were expected to be in.
Fine, forget what he makes. How about what he's producing? Which is to say, absolutely nothing.

Also if Talbot let in those goals yesterday you can bet your sweet ass HFOil would've been all over him. Two if not all three were of the weak variety.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I don't know why, but it delights me greatly that Kari Takko is also on this list

That statline for Martin Gerber is made even better by the fact that those are the only 3 games he ever played in Edmonton. Last 3 games he played in the NHL.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I don't disagree the AHL is best for Pulju and Yamamoto. And Marody too for that matter.

But we don't have any extra forwards if all three are down.

Reactions: ujju2

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That statline for Martin Gerber is made even better by the fact that those are the only 3 games he ever played in Edmonton. Last 3 games he played in the NHL.
Yeah, it was strange at the time that the team never even offered him a contract the next season when we had nothing else.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible

To be fair, Nurse was kinda trash in that game. 1st goal was on him and there was just a complete breakdown defensively, then he took a stupid penalty after too. 2nd goal was just a stupid fluke, that bounce off the boards, you don't really see that often. 3rd goal was just pure luck from Bertuzzi. Not trying to discredit all the goals but Detroit clearly getting some really lucky bounces considering how hard the Oilers were dominating them in terms of shots, chances and just possession. And of course Koskinen is 1B, do you really miss Montoya that much?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Well we had Dubnyk and Khabibulin at the time.
The issue was Khabibulin and we never really got anything from him. First he was hurt, then he had his drunk driving issues and then he was hurt again. At the best he was a somewhat capable backup who couldn’t stay healthy for more than four or five games. Not once in the four years he was here was he someone who could be counted on. He was the one that should have been buried in the minors, not Gerber. He was an example of a player who was treated differently so as not to embarrass management for signing him.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Didn’t we hear all summer how his lateral movement is terrible, how is glove hand is weak and he only had good stats because the KHL lied about the stats so Putin’s stacked team could look better than they were?

Looks pretty damn good so far this season.
I'm not sure about all that stuff you said there as I tend to take a break from the board for the most part during the quiet summer months, but I don't think that clip necessarily demonstrated particularly good lateral movement, I'd say it more demonstrated good anticipation of the play, the tremendous reach he has with his condor like wingspan, and a good glove hand. From what I've seen of his lateral agility in being able to push off and cover distance, I'm pretty sure more than a few NHL goalies would completely smoke him if they were just drilling specifically lateral agility, but ultimately it's just about stopping the puck and he used the tools he had to do that in spectacular fashion on what was a very tough save to make.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It's games like this that prove the point that you can't just go by save percentage as the holy grail metric to measure a goalie's impact on a game.

Without that highlight reel glove save to outright steal a goal from Detroit when his team had a 1 goal lead at a fragile point in the contest, who knows how this game would've turned out.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It's games like this that prove the point that you can't just go by save percentage as the holy grail metric to measure a goalie's impact on a game.

Without that highlight reel glove save to outright steal a goal from Detroit when his team had a 1 goal lead at a fragile point in the contest, who knows how this game would've turned out.

3 games .935 save% 2 GAA
10 games .904 save%. 2.81 GAA

Same team, wonder who’s playing better right now

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm not sure about all that stuff you said there as I tend to take a break from the board for the most part during the quiet summer months, but I don't think that clip necessarily demonstrated particularly good lateral movement, I'd say it more demonstrated good anticipation of the play, the tremendous reach he has with his condor like wingspan, and a good glove hand. From what I've seen of his lateral agility in being able to push off and cover distance, I'm pretty sure more than a few NHL goalies would completely smoke him if they were just drilling specifically lateral agility, but ultimately it's just about stopping the puck and he used the tools he had to do that in spectacular fashion on what was a very tough save to make.

Never said he has lateral agility that ranks among the best in the league and I’m sure a lot of goalie are quicker or at least look quicker. Posters were saying he had the worst lateral ability they’d seen. He got his massive frame across pretty quick there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad