Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Rangers 1 - Victory!!!!!!!

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
My take

Much better game from the defence. The top 4 of Klef, Lars, Nurse, Russ needs to stay the top 4. Garrison looked solid he should stay on that pair with Benning and Bouchard swapping in and out.

Talbot looked way better. PK looked better albeit Rangers top end talent is non existent. Still think the PP looked poor. Not enough net front traffic and Klef needs to be way better holding the line. 2nd unit barely played so it’s hard to evaluate. Lucic was a wrecking ball.

Jujar Khaira has been non existent. Some of those bottom 6 guys need to show a semblance of offensive life. I thought Jesse and Strome created a little bit Reider and Brodz has some chances but they need to start going in eventually here.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He was noticeable is a good way a few times out there. Used his size and speed to create some chances and win puck battles which was nice to see. Had some tough moments, but looked better out there.
His offense looked good but his defensive side was super rough.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Wow, the Oilers looked great today!

Definitely think you guys can make a push for the Cup this year if you continue to dominate.

With McDavid doing his thing and Talbot standing on his head the sky is the limit for this team.
So you mock the Oilers when they lose and mock them when they win? You're a clown.

Oh, you're a Leafs fan too. Shocking.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Absolutely. 12 real games so far and nothing. Had a good first period and that was about it. The 3rd period penalty call was a joke. No way that was a penalty.

But heres a typical Yama play. 5 mins into the game, Drai wins faceoff, Oilers break out, get the puck to Yama in offensive end, and he gets converged on and the puck is headed back our way. That play right there is happening half a dozen times a game and why he can't be on a NHL topsix.

You just described Sam Gagner's time here.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Absolutely. 12 real games so far and nothing. Had a good first period and that was about it. The 3rd period penalty call was a joke. No way that was a penalty.

But heres a typical Yama play. 5 mins into the game, Drai wins faceoff, Oilers break out, get the puck to Yama in offensive end, and he gets converged on and the puck is headed back our way. That play right there is happening half a dozen times a game and why he can't be on a NHL topsix.

I see the same thing and I saw the same thing last year with him. With a dude his size we shouldn't expect that he grits his way or tenacities his way to keeping that puck. No matter how hard he tries a 200 pound player is going to shove a 150 pound player around. We should want him to not be touched in the first place, like the other successful smalll guys in the league like Gaudreau or Kane. Do you ever see those guys go head on with defenders and try to muscle or outeffort THROUGH them? Nope. They instead will stick handle away from pressure, hold onto that puck with poise, then use their immense skill to create in very short amount of time. With Yamo he doesn't have that type of skill, which is why I'm not optimistic with him

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Decent effort by the team today. Hopefully this turns into more wins, now that they on the board. The upcoming schedule is so brutal though.

Russell is much better than Benning on the second pairing.

Not to sound too pessimistic but it doesnt seem like Oilers arent a very good team. I do hope we can compete and make the playoffs but I am not feeling overly confident.

The team is poorly constructed. Chiarelli has lost too many trades. Teams not fast enough.

The coach cant maximize the talent on the roster. Lots of poor decisions. Was happy to see RNH, Drai and McDavid on the ice in the final minute.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
My take

Much better game from the defence. The top 4 of Klef, Lars, Nurse, Russ needs to stay the top 4. Garrison looked solid he should stay on that pair with Benning and Bouchard swapping in and out.

Talbot looked way better. PK looked better albeit Rangers top end talent is non existent. Still think the PP looked poor. Not enough net front traffic and Klef needs to be way better holding the line. 2nd unit barely played so it’s hard to evaluate. Lucic was a wrecking ball.

Jujar Khaira has been non existent. Some of those bottom 6 guys need to show a semblance of offensive life. I thought Jesse and Strome created a little bit Reider and Brodz has some chances but they need to start going in eventually here.

Agree on the D. Benning is not ready for top 4, it's just not time yet for him. That extra bit of responsibility just puts him over the breaking point and he just falls into a full panic mode.

Really hope Nurse-Russell can work out. I think Nurse has been Russell's best partner statistically so far as an Oiler, aside from Sekera of course.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Oilers win! A great third period too.

No idea what I'm going to bitch and moan about now for the next three days :)

Reactions: RegDunlop

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
no one-McDavid-no one
RNH-Drai-Rattie
Yamamoto-Benson-Puljujarvi
Rieder-Brodziak-Strome

Lucic
Khaira

RNH and Drai has been tried before, it hasn't worked well. Leon has good chemistry with McDavid and Hall, other combos have been a problem.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
First Oiler won I've ever seen in person. 1-6.
Do you believe in miracles? YES!

Nice to get that monkey off their back even with the PP still stinking and nobody outside of McDavid able to score. Not gonna complain though. They needed that and we needed that. Let's get some more wins.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Puljujarvi had a good game

I thought he had some rough moments in this game. Some nice things too. I just honestly think he needs more minutes and the ability to be creative without being punished for mistakes. I think there was too many times where he tried to force things (probably because hes trying too hard to make an impact when getting so few minutes).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
RNH and Drai has been tried before, it hasn't worked well. Leon has good chemistry with McDavid and Hall, other combos have been a problem.

It's a good thing we paid Leon like he'd always have a McDavid or Hall on his line, but we play him with plugs.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
i'm not an oiler fan so feel free to ignore, but I watched the game today and this team feels so much like a Darryl Sutter team. I bet he could take them to the playoffs with a whole lot of 1 goal victories and intense puck support.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

I think he can be, but not with lucic and drai. He's a smart waterbug type player. It seems to me he'd be a lot more effective against lesser competition or with teammates fast enough to get open... he won't get either of those with lucic and Drai who play a slower cycle and get open game as big men you cant push off the puck.

Its also hard for yamo to play the waterbug game without the puck when his linemates play that style. Its s real clashing line combo; when drai and looch play to their strengths yamo is useless.

I think he'd mesh well with stromer and rieder though. They're much more mobile in their cycle, yamo is smart enough to find them in motion and he can do so in a time frame that won't see him bust knocked off the puck.

Pulju also would look fantastic complimenting that drai-looch line, imo. Can play that big bodied style, he'd get one on one matchups where he could shine in the slot, and creep into soft areas where drai would find him.

RNH-Mcdavid-Rat
Looch-Drai-Pulju
Rieder-Strome-Yamo
Cagguila-Khaira-Brodz

I'd like too see it, personally.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
My take

Benning should not touch the ice for a long time. He needs a good long sit or even a trip to the AHL. He literally cost us 2 goals last game and he is generally a huge liability while on the ice. Bouchard has done everything right to keep his spot so far....Benning has not.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I thought he had some rough moments in this game. Some nice things too. I just honestly think he needs more minutes and the ability to be creative without being punished for mistakes. I think there was too many times where he tried to force things (probably because hes trying too hard to make an impact when getting so few minutes).

0-2 to start the season. Tight 2-1 game where we again aren't creating much offensively and at any moment our Defence could crack like the below league average defense it is.... what I'm getting at is, it'd be nice to let Pulju play a bit more creative and risky, but we can't afford him that opportunity where our games are 1 small mistake away from a loss.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think Draisaitl needs to play with McDavid. They're just better together than RNH and McDavid, last 20 games of last season not withstanding.

This team dumps the puck in way too much. It's every single entry when McDavid isn't on the ice.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think he can be, but not with lucic and drai. He's a smart waterbug type player. It seems to me he'd be a lot more effective against lesser competition or with teammates fast enough to get open... he won't get either of those with lucic and Drai who play a slower cycle and get open game as big men you cant push off the puck.

Its also hard for yamo to play the waterbug game without the puck when his linemates play that style. Its s real clashing line combo; when drai and looch play to their strengths yamo is useless.

I think he'd mesh well with stromer and rieder though. They're much more mobile in their cycle, yamo is smart enough to find them in motion and he can do so in a time frame that won't see him bust knocked off the puck.

Pulju also would look fantastic complimenting that drai-looch line, imo. Can play that big bodied style, he'd get one on one matchups where he could shine in the slot, and creep into soft areas where drai would find him.

RNH-Mcdavid-Rat
Looch-Drai-Pulju
Rieder-Strome-Yamo
Cagguila-Khaira-Brodz

I'd like too see it, personally.

Yeah I just think at this point they have to try JP with Draisaitl. Draisaitl and Yamamoto doesnt seem to work. I think JP needs more minutes.

Reactions: PulYou

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
i'm not an oiler fan so feel free to ignore, but I watched the game today and this team feels so much like a Darryl Sutter team. I bet he could take them to the playoffs with a whole lot of 1 goal victories and intense puck support.

They totally feel like the Sutter Flames circa 2004 with half the intensity and double the defensive lapses.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Benning should not touch the ice for a long time. He needs a good long sit or even a trip to the AHL. He literally cost us 2 goals last game and he is generally a huge liability while on the ice. Bouchard has done everything right to keep his spot so far....Benning has not.

I didn't think Bouchard was all that great today but. yeah, Benning has sucked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad