Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Rangers 1 - Victory!!!!!!!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Totally agree
I like to defend people's right to their opinion as well. In fact that is my only point in this whole debate / argument!

In this case, my opinion is that Leon is not playing up to his potential. I'm allowed that. You counter with the opinion that he is, but other circumstances apply. You of course are allowed that opinion as well.

The only reason I kept (keep?!) this exchange going is that I respectively feel that you don't fully allow others their opinion on Leon's play, without a caveat about his linemates or other things. For myself at least, and I think many others, I've already considered those factors in my decision to give him a below average grade.

Again, posters who totally crap in him are usually the ones that seem to crap on everyone when a subpar performance. They are allowed to as well, but I'm allowed to ignore those quick, not thought out blurbs if I choose to. And I do. I have to admit that I'm surprised you don't in this case.

I should resist it more, and would except that its so commonplace here. Even with reasonable posters adopting particular stances, which is fine, but one thing I should do entirely is completely ignore GDT's. Actually a recommendation for everybody. Not much good ever happens in those.

But the other side is if people strawman my statements a lot, and this is constant here, I'm not going to sit by and watch my comments be misconstrued. Which just happened again this am. Not you.

cheers

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Doesn't work like that. First off, even if he was just McDavid's winger, he'd still have gotten paid $7.5 million. He was top 10 in the league in points in 16/17 and had a monster playoffs.

Secondly, RNH was paid about 10% of the cap when he signed his deal, when did he ever carry a line?

Just because you pay someone money doesn't absolve the GM of the requirement of actually building a good team around them.

Could it be that both are overpaid?

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
for 8.5M drai should be making those around him better, not worse

Drai does make players around him better though. Could you imagine playing Pastrnak with Lucic and Yamo? Or how about Barkov?

Every other young skilled player in this league has an advantage that Drai doesn’t. They all play with skilled players but when Drai plays with one of our two skilled players and puts up points, he gets shit on for being a product of mcdavid...it’s honestly ridiculous.

Pastrnak gets all the credit in the world for being such a fantastic player but he plays with a selke winning center and a top 5 LW. Drai does make players around him better but unless your name is Crosby or Mcdavid, no one in this league can put up production no matter who is on their wing.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Never realized how craptastic the Pacific teams have been. Except Anaheim.

Vegas slumping hard with Fleury playing awful plus Stastny is out 2-3 months now
SJS good on paper not so much on ice. Likely just a slow start
Flames are the flames. Play a big game but never get it done. Pretenders.
Vancouver playing well but bound to to be bad soon
LAK look very average as well
Arizona looks meh. Good numbers but not getting it done.

Im sure our boys are looking at the standings and seeing all the opportunity there. Pacific looks to be weak this year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Vegas slumping hard with Fleury playing awful plus Stastny is out 2-3 months now

Im sure our boys are looking at the standings and seeing all the opportunity there. Pacific looks to be weak this year.
Ducks have also put Getzlaf on the IR.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Even with reasonable posters adopting particular stances, which is fine, but one thing I should do entirely is completely ignore GDT's. Actually a recommendation for everybody. Not much good ever happens in those.

As an oversees supporter I have to be more selective with what games to watch, but I go through just about every GDT afterwards or real-time. In fact if I read them afterwards I load the page to the laptop already beforehand, so I can avoid seeing the result by accident beforehand.

So for me GDTs can be a lot of fun and very informative, too, but for sure they should be taken pretty lightly. If a player makes a mistake or two, even in an otherwise good game, there's almost definitely going to be insulting messages, often from the same writers. Which I actually understand. Everyone (with maybe a slight exception of McD) is in danger and some players more than the others for different reasons.

For Drai that reason is his salary and the fact that at times his performances are quite far from the magnifienct player he can be. Without mentioning names I've seen that happen with very talented young players, which also Drai still is. Maybe he needs to change his summer training, and maybe he's not ready to drive his line with just any linemates, but with his talent he'll be fine. Like I said he's still a young guy.

So I'd definitely suggest trying to take the GDT's with a more relaxed attitude, remember the insults are buried over there quickly and usually people don't take them too seriously anyway.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Anaheim has been even more craptastic than all of them. Even Vegas.

They just have a real good goalie bailing them out big time.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's not a crime to point it out if it's only a passing observation from time to time. But it's the amount of criticism that he takes (from you and others) in proportion to the level of his play. For instance, a relatively high proportion of your posts are specifically targeting Draisaitl's apparent poor play; so, yes, it looks like you're throwing him specifically under the bus when there are other players doing jack-all. What about Nuge, who spends all of his time with McDavid? Nuge has 2 points in 3 games and no non-McDavid points. In fact, nobody has points without McDavid. Further to that, Drai's points, while connected to McDavid, were not necessarily "easy." His goal was actually a pass from Lucic that he executed very well. So why make Drai your continual scapegoat? His salary?

Can he play better? Yes, absolutely he can. But he's not been put in a position to succeed with unideal linemates. Another problem, which nobody has mentioned is that for the first time, he's learning to center his own line because for the last two years, McLellan put him with McDavid, so he's never really gotten a chance to grow and develop at that position. With how Chiarelli has handcuffed the team, he has less than ideal wingers with which to produce. And on top of that, you have McLellan, who can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Think about it: if your manager gave you no resources with which to work, your supervisor threw you under the bus, and you were continually placed on teams with which you didn't mesh, how well would you fare, regardless of your salary? I know that, as a professional, you have to do your best with what you have, but really, how well WOULD you do in that position?

I have repeatedly said that Drai has visibly been lacking effort in all aspects of the game. Nuge has created a bunch of chances for other and himself and has gotten some bad puck luck. He has also been very good on his own side of center ice, this was even highlighted during an intermission last game, Drai has been a turnover machine inside his own blue line. I’m just pointing out the obvious with Drai that so many like yourself refuse to even acknowledge, while you seem to now be searching for reasons to slag other players.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
They desperately need to get themselves off the McDavid teet.
I'm starting to think the best thing would be if McDavid twists his ankle or something and misses a couple of weeks. The team needs to learn how to play without him. Especially Draisaitl needs to step up and show he has the big-balls.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Drai does make players around him better though. Could you imagine playing Pastrnak with Lucic and Yamo? Or how about Barkov?

Every other young skilled player in this league has an advantage that Drai doesn’t. They all play with skilled players but when Drai plays with one of our two skilled players and puts up points, he gets **** on for being a product of mcdavid...it’s honestly ridiculous.

Pastrnak gets all the credit in the world for being such a fantastic player but he plays with a selke winning center and a top 5 LW. Drai does make players around him better but unless your name is Crosby or Mcdavid, no one in this league can put up production no matter who is on their wing.

Good post. I just laughed out loud imaginging Pastrnak with Lucic and Yamamoto :laugh:

I doubt Bruins fans seeing Pastrnak rip it up with Marchand and Bergeron are going like: "Well, his production doesn't count unless he puts up points with Noel Acciari and Joakim Nordström on his line. Really he's just a product of March and Bergy"

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad