Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2, Blackhawks 1 (OT)

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Just finished GDT
Going through this one now.
I'm impressed with this streak.
Tough one to hit out I think.

Also... don't mean to offend anyone, but posters Todd Parchment and North Cole are pretty annoying.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Just finished GDT
Going through this one now.
I'm impressed with this streak.
Tough one to hit out I think.

Also... don't mean to offend anyone, but posters Todd Parchment and North Cole are pretty annoying.

Agreed, I'll like your post since you liked one of mine.

Reactions: StupidGenius

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I was at the game. The Oilers had the upper-hand in playing a tight-checking game against a bit of a speed and finesse team. Talbot, McDavid, and Draisaitl played well. Energy level was a bit lacking as both teams were at the end of back-to-backs. I would like to see more offensively from Strome.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Like I said after the Pens game, much more winning incoming.

Like I said after the Kassian rumours, this'll be a message to him and he'll come in with some fire in his belly. Glad to see him score the one and only goal for us today to keep us in the game. We don't win without Kassian contribution today Oiler fans. Stop running the good guys outta town.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I love 3 on 3 OT. This team is so good at it.

Was thinking about how good we are at it. Crosby showed he and the Pens are still a force too. But our 3 against antibodies best 3 seems incomparable.

Reminds of the 80s Oilers a bit when the NHL initiated the 5 on 5 when coincidental penalties were called. This was introduced SPECIFICALLY because the Oilers were too good at 4 on 4!
If we keep dominating in OT, i wonder if they would ever do a rule change again? Wouldn't put it past this league!

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Draisaitl's pass to McDavid for the winner was amazing. That guy ia feeling it again, i hope his wrist is ok

Reactions: Duke74

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah, it was a good old fashioned saw off and both teams playing a good and solid game. Keith was turning the clock back years in this game and Seabrook gets a goal. Hawks were trying hard, were at home, and we're back to back. This is a GREAT win.

We know that right?

Are we throwing 2 pts back these days for style pts.?

This is coming from me and I don't know I've ever seen the board more negative. I heard even connor was getting the gears in the GDT. I'm not even going to look.

He wasn't really.
Posters were calling him out for having an average looking game (I agree) but big deal.
Other posters saw it as slagging.

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
i said it after watching the first period but man it was great to see the oilers playing smarter more aggressive defence and forechecking with their active sticks. they were stifling and frustrating kane and toews all game long with good disruptive sticks. loved how their sticks would actively be close and around the opposing puck carrier's blade as they wheeled around in our zone. it's so much more frustrating to try and create offence against a team with good defensive sticks. play the body when needed but having a smart stick is vital in today's nhl.

loved watching when our D pinched at the offensive zone blue line and led with a stck at the puck rather than just trying to plow the opposing player over because it's a lot easier for that player just to chip it by and out. great sticks on the forecheck too. actually both teams were very good with their defensive sticks today. hawks were frustrating connor today with that.

a lot of the hawks "grade A" chances were slightly disrupted by a stick at least kind of in the way and that changes the player's mindset and spacial comfort to snipe. the advanced stats will show some of those as a "grade A" chance but in reality the stick disruption probably turns it to a B or C chance and makes it much easier for talbs.

i feel like the Oil were kind of doing this in 2016-17 fairly well.... i wonder why they strayed from it last year?.... their sticks got really lazy and not active and were just chasing and looking to seemingly solely take the body last year. did Yawney renew this (i think) pretty basic philosophy? it's ALWAYS tough to play against a team with good sticks who know when to also dish some body contact when appropriate.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
i said it after watching the first period but man it was great to see the oilers playing smarter more aggressive defence and forechecking with their active sticks. they were stifling and frustrating kane and toews all game long with good disruptive sticks. loved how their sticks would actively be close and around the opposing puck carrier's blade as they wheeled around in our zone. it's so much more frustrating to try and create offence against a team with good defensive sticks. play the body when needed but having a smart stick is vital in today's nhl.

loved watching when our D pinched at the offensive zone blue line and led with a stck at the puck rather than just trying to plow the opposing player over because it's a lot easier for that player just to chip it by and out. great sticks on the forecheck too. actually both teams were very good with their defensive sticks today. hawks were frustrating connor today with that.

a lot of the hawks "grade A" chances were slightly disrupted by a stick at least kind of in the way and that changes the player's mindset and spacial comfort to snipe. the advanced stats will show some of those as a "grade A" chance but in reality the stick disruption probably turns it to a B or C chance and makes it much easier for talbs.

i feel like the Oil were kind of doing this in 2016-17 fairly well.... i wonder why they strayed from it last year?.... their sticks got really lazy and not active and were just chasing and looking to seemingly solely take the body last year. did Yawney renew this (i think) pretty basic philosophy? it's ALWAYS tough to play against a team with good sticks who know when to also dish some body contact when appropriate.

Oilers didn’t have great sticks in 16-17; they gave up a ton of HDSC but Talbot basically played the entire season like he played tonight.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016

New drinking game: every time "sticks" is mentioned in the above post, take a shot.

Also I agree with your post. The systems play is looking much better. Our zone exits are night and day this year as well. Way less forcing a pass off the boards to break out.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Cam holds us in it. We absolutely deadly in 3 on 3. McDavid is a force.

Not a pretty win, but I'll take it.

Last year Talbot would have let in a softy and we would have folded up and lost 4-1

Nah last year an Oilers D man would lose coverage leaving a Patrick Kane with an uncontested shot with time and space that'd he'd snipe past Talbot. We were tight defensively tonight, Talbot was good too.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Oilers didn’t have great sticks in 16-17; they gave up a ton of HDSC but Talbot basically played the entire season like he played tonight.

they had better sticks in 16-17 than 17-18. and talbot's job was much easier tonight as, like i said, the oilers d and fwds all played with good smart disruptive active sticks that made seemingly grade A chances lesser and easier for talbot to stop. it's actually night and day watching them tonight vs the first two games and last season with how well they played with their sticks on the defensive/forechecking side. it makes a huge difference.

Reactions: TheNumber4

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
they had better sticks in 16-17 than 17-18. and talbot's job was much easier tonight as, like i said, the oilers d and fwds all played with good smart disruptive active sticks that made seemingly grade A chances lesser and easier for talbot to stop. it's actually night and day watching them tonight vs the first two games and last season with how well they played with their sticks on the defensive/forechecking side. it makes a huge difference.

Yup. Another way to see this too, is notice how every time there's a loose puck or rebound there's Oilers all over it. There's no space right now for the opposition in the slot. And we actually have some semblance of gap control and a boat load of backchecking too.

Goalies are ALWAYS supported by team defence. I hope Oilers fans remember this little case study, apparently we didn't learn our lesson when we ran Dubnyk out of town.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Draisaitl's pass to McDavid for the winner was amazing. That guy ia feeling it again, i hope his wrist is ok
His pass over to Rieder on a 2-on-1 in the third was also world class, too bad Rieder didn't get a great shot off on it

Reactions: RegDunlop

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Are we starting to see the affects of the coaching staff upgrade? THese last few games our players have been surgical with their stick checking. Rarely see anything like it from this team, but for multiple games in a row, against really good competition, guys are poking pucks away, intercepting passes and stealing pucks like machines. Hope it continues, there is definitely a different approach right now to coverage and play without the puck, and it's really great to watch.
The play of the defensemen certainly suggests we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00