Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2, Blackhawks 1 (OT)

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Gotta give McLellan some credit, he’s made some changes and adjustments that seem to be working.

Are we starting to see the affects of the coaching staff upgrade? THese last few games our players have been surgical with their stick checking. Rarely see anything like it from this team, but for multiple games in a row, against really good competition, guys are poking pucks away, intercepting passes and stealing pucks like machines. Hope it continues, there is definitely a different approach right now to coverage and play without the puck, and it's really great to watch.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Are we starting to see the affects of the coaching staff upgrade? THese last few games our players have been surgical with their stick checking. Rarely see anything like it from this team, but for multiple games in a row, against really good competition, guys are poking pucks away, intercepting passes and stealing pucks like machines. Hope it continues, there is definitely a different approach right now to coverage and play without the puck, and it's really great to watch.

I’d have to say there’s some of that for sure. Nurse has settled right down with Russell whose been quietly effective. Larson and Nurse have been an excellent shut down pair. I’d say there’s some Yawney effect. Special teams better but a lot is we are getting normalized goaltending and players are digging deeper this year too. They realize they have to work to win games. Nobody will roll over in this league.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Ugly game but we got a valuable 2 points out of it so it's hard to complain.
plus the Hawks have been hot this season. It's funny that at the start of the season this game was probably pegged as one of the only 'easy' ones but it turned out to be one of the toughest.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
HFOil must have the highest troll-Actual fan ratio in the league.

-Good game, Hawks needed the win more.
-Talbots back
-Jewels continuing the great play
-Stome is fighting it but overall playing well IMO, I like the 3rd line overall.
-Yamo is showing flashes

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Both teams playing the second game of a back to back so a tight checking, low scoring game was expected. Oilers effort was there but you could tell they were the more tired team as the game went on. They dragged it to OT where they knew they could take that second point. Smart. Played to their strength in this game and it worked. Overall a good road game, 2 points, Talbot was solid. Man did the ice suck.

Winning feels good.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I’d have to say there’s some of that for sure. Nurse has settled right down with Russell whose been quietly effective. Larson and Nurse have been an excellent shut down pair. I’d say there’s some Yawney effect. Special teams better but a lot is we are getting normalized goaltending and players are digging deeper this year too. They realize they have to work to win games. Nobody will roll over in this league.

Russells game looks different to me. Hes much more aggressive, which I think works because hes a decent skater in terms of making quick plays. I just dont see him giving up the line or giving the opponent as much space anymore. Klefbom looks really good out there. Larsson transition game has improved. Nurse has been solid but outside of a few plays, hes been a bit less noticeable for me (which isnt a bad thing). Oilers Top 4 are getting it done.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'd just as soon the team win, imo Strome has been solid.

Hes been good but at some point he needs to start producing. Hes made some nice passes though, and his linemates cant cash. I think he would have more success if Yamamoto was moved to the third line. We need Rattie back though or they have to give JP a shot.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yep. Both teams were pretty surgical with the stick checks and much better job with passing lanes. Talbot had a lot of work, but the Oilers were on a back to back, on the road, and gave the Hawks fits all game.

Really solid victories these are.

Chicago faithful watching an Oiler team and going "oh shit, here we go again" Older fans will get that.

But as far as I can see it we're getting much better efforts from bottomsix these days, Lucic is playing like a boss again, Top 2 lines doing their share.

Still, and I'll say this is we need to get Pulju back in the lineup. Chiasson despite the goals is not really doing much on the 2nd line. Adequate, but not matching all that well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The next two games the Oilers play teams that are in Vancouver the night before. We need to take advantage.

They need to make sure that there is no let-up now that they just finished the 10 game gauntlet from hell. Keep the intensity and energy level high and try to ride it all the way into the postseason.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They need to make sure that there is no let-up now that they just finished the 10 game gauntlet from hell. Keep the intensity and energy level high and try to ride it all the way into the postseason.
Right. The schedule is still a bit tough but lighter for this week. Getting at least 4/6 points this week would seal up a pretty good October all things considered.

Also I said this against Boston but "Overtiiiiiiiiiiiiiime Winner!" is such a good call.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Haven't thought of Sekera for about 3 games. That's when you know things are going well.

The nice thing is that when he comes back, unless we have serious injury issues, we don't need him to be our saviour. He can ease in and be a steady balance on the bottom pair. If Bouchard sticks that will be an interesting pairing.

Ugly game but we got a valuable 2 points out of it so it's hard to complain.

Feeling so much like 2 seasons ago. Many wins we earned, some other wins we found a way. Today it was Talbot that found the way for us.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
After the not so great start to the season for Talbot I think he's starting to get the feeling that if he gives this roster a chance to win, they will win, that combined with a bit of a push from kosk and I think he will fall into the same groove he was in in 16-17

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Who’s Matthews?
AKA Mr.Glass
unbreakable-1jpg-ad251e1280wjpg.jpeg

"I'm sick of these motherf**ing bodychecks, to my motherf**ing shoulder!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad