Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2, Blackhawks 1 (OT)

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Someone was saying earlier in this thread that Mcdavid was out at the bar the night before getting drunk with Debrincat. Just stupid rumor stuff.

IMO, more power to him. The exception makes the rule on this sort of stuff.

Is he needed to go out on the town with his friend , thats what he needed to do.

(course if it cost the team, well thats a different discussion)

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Very good and I Agree!

Perhaps I don't realize how detrimental those posters can potentially be because I mostly skip past them. I will consider it more, thank you.

And you're right we do have differing opinions on discussing performances. I agree that that's it's ok too!

My thought process to all of this is simple. If it is ok to call out other players of less ilk, as we've all done, why isn't ok to call out the brightest star. Again it's not putting him down it is stating an opinion or observation. Same as when posters say that a players linemates aren't up to par.

I also consider that the absolute best at anything has learned to know how to take criticism when warranted and make himself / herself stronger. They also know themselves when are are off and usually do something about it. That's why they are who they are.

That's my side! Thank You for putting out yours! Agree to disagree but like the discussion! Especially when we can agree we are blessed with watching him!

I'm not sure that you'll get what I'm saying. Seems like you don't. That theres a DIFFERENCE in excellence vs standard fare. Sure the Beatles, Led Zep, each put out a less successful album, but both put an entire catalog out of excellent albums and music. Should their music and body of work be treated identical to say Pat Travers or the Headpins? ;) Should they receive identical praise and criticism? That seems to be what you are suggesting is that all players are essentially up for same criticism no matter how excellent, or average they are.

The point is theres a distinction. Some are great, others are not.

I'm not sure how I could possibly come closer to the point than saying that some artists are pretty much beyond reproach, and have deserved that standing, while other plebes are just run of the mill and pretty open to criticism, and as it should be.

I don't critique greatness, I have no licence to, I'm not worthy to. What kind of arrogance would I have to have to think I know better than the Beatles, Led Zep, Connor McDavid. They get every benefit of a doubt I can give.

Some players are worthy of trust. Game to game differentials in their play mean nothing to me. I know they will be great again.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I agree.

I am a fan of the team first and foremost. Thats where my allegiance lies and while its hard to see players go (especially when its a bad trade) its still the team that ultimately matters IMO.

Thats not to say that I dont have favorite players...I do. But when these players aren't playing as well as they could be then they deserve to be called out for it. They arent immune just because I favor them.

Except for McDavid. ;) :D

I think though that in some instances certain posters are just looking for some drama so they align themselves with things that they know will get a response.
There are all kinds of 'fans' on here. :nod:

Like the one that was professing to know better than Draisaitl how to pass the puck and create open passing lanes. Yeah, that was you. Just days ago. Do you seriously think you know better than the star player in question? You want me to quote the post or did you delete it already?

Last edited:

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I'm not sure that you'll get what I'm saying. Seems like you don't. That theres a DIFFERENCE in excellence vs standard fare. Sure the Beatles, Led Zep, each put out a less successful album, but both put an entire catalog out of excellent albums and music. Should their music and body of work be treated identical to say Pat Travers or the Headpins? ;) Should they receive identical praise and criticism? That seems to be what you are suggesting is that all players are essentially up for same criticism no matter how excellent, or average they are.

The point is theres a distinction. Some are great, others are not.

I'm not sure how I could possibly come closer to the point than saying that some artists are pretty much beyond reproach, and have deserved that standing, while other plebes are just run of the mill and pretty open to criticism, and as it should be.

I don't critique greatness, I have no licence to, I'm not worthy to. What kind of arrogance would I have to have to think I know better than the Beatles, Led Zep, Connor McDavid. They get every benefit of a doubt I can give.

Some players are worthy of trust. Game to game differentials in their play mean nothing to me. I know they will be great again.

Thanks!
I understand your point completely. I just don't agree with it! (With all due tespect).

You mistake my point of view on that you think I compare an ultimate superstar to mere players. That is incorrect. I compare him to his high standards and when they are not met, I offer that observation.

Choosing any other medium to present your point dosent matter to me. I can counter by saying that 'Physical Graffiti' was not up to the standards of 'Houses of the Holy' or 'Sgt Pepper' to the 'White Album'. They are my takes on the subject. Whether they're shared or not, or the subject matter is the best in class or far below is irrelevant. I'm holding them - it - whatever to thier own standards.

***I haven't heard 'out go the lights' for a long time and i thought 'Turn it loud' was a helk of an akbum!

Have a good morning!

Reactions: Hippasus

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Umm honestly that game was bad all around. Hawks included. Both teams were falling down, missing passes, skating slow. It wasn't an entertaining high energy game from both sides. And both sides played the night before.... so there's a pretty reasonable explanation of why.

The ice was really bad for sure. Makes a huge difference. Especially when everybody was knackered.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Don't forget puck control... I don't think I've ever seen a goalie turn over pucks nearly every time he played it. But that could have been the confidence/mental thing. It's no surprise Scrivens confidence (like Dubnyks before him) was shattered behind our piss poor D. I will say this about Scrivens though, I truly think he was better at the 10-bell saves than Talbot. The type of saves that make the highlight reel.

Two comments on that:
1) He had to be, he had terrible rebound control, which means you are scrambling on that second shot.
2) He was a highly competitive guy, so he didn't give up on anything. And decent agility. Reminds me of Roli in that regard, (though Roli was far more technically sound, especially on rebounds)

Reactions: nightfighter

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Two comments on that:
1) He had to be, he had terrible rebound control, which means you are scrambling on that second shot.
2) He was a highly competitive guy, so he didn't give up on anything. And decent agility. Reminds me of Roli in that regard, (though Roli was far more technically sound, especially on rebounds)

Agreed on both points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->