Confirmed with Link: Oiler sign Dominik Kahun 1-year/ 975k

North

Jun 25, 2009
I wonder if CP still thinks they have the best defence in the league.

They probably do. They have an aging Gio, a glass Tanev, two middling guys in Andersson and Hanifin, a guy who just lost a year of development in Valimaki, and a guy the coaches don’t trust in Kylington.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
More leaked texts.

upload_2020-11-2_23-16-50.png

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Ironically Draisaitl is also ethnically Czech.
No, neither of them is. They both come from the German ethnic minority in the Czech Republic which itself had been a part of Austria and the Holy Roman Empire of German Nations for centuries. So they are ethnical Germans who had been living in the relatively newly constituated Czech Republic and whose families emigrated back to the modern Germany very recently, the German term is 'Spätaussiedler'. Many of them did.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
All of a sudden those OEL trade proposals from me aren't looking too bad, eh? ;)

Might be time to revisit them . Maybe they take Klefbom and leave him on LTIR for the year . I know OEL said Vancouver or Boston but maybe given the chance to talk to him first he agrees to come over .

Klefbom + 2021 1st + Benson or Samorukov + Chiasson

OEL + 2021 2nd

rather not move Samorukov. Also don’t want to be without a pick until the 4th round next year so would want a 2nd coming back

OEL Larsson
Nurse Barrie
Jones Bear
Russell

D and forwards would be an improvement. Still over the cap tho

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It is really weird Calgary Puck started a thread on the Kahun signing. It was some pretty good insight on how non-fans view the Oilers.

Most of the criticisms are pretty pessimistic, but are at least in the realm of possible.

Special teams were historically good. How much will they regress?

Will we see the Yamamoto that was PPG upon being called up or the player who played in the play-in round?

Will Koskinen and Smith be effective in net?

Will Kahun, Turris, Ennis, and Puljujarvi work out as good signings?

Those are all reasonable questions. Clearly if things work out for the worse for all of those questions this isn't a playoff team.

Maybe it is just because I am an Oilers fan, but I don't fear the answers to any of those questions.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
It is really weird Calgary Puck started a thread on the Kahun signing. It was some pretty good insight on how non-fans view the Oilers.

Most of the criticisms are pretty pessimistic, but are at least in the realm of possible.

Special teams were historically good. How much will they regress?

Will we see the Yamamoto that was PPG upon being called up or the player who played in the play-in round?

Will Koskinen and Smith be effective in net?

Will Kahun, Turris, Ennis, and Puljujarvi work out as good signings?

Those are all reasonable questions. Clearly if things work out for the worse for all of those questions this isn't a playoff team.

Maybe it is just because I am an Oilers fan, but I don't fear the answers to any of those questions.

I’m still most concerned on D. Lots of question marks and uncertainty.

I feel goaltending will be good enough, but nothing more.

I suspect our special teams will regress a bit, but we may also see our 5x5 play improve as well.

Reactions: nally

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I’m still most concerned on D. Lots of question marks and uncertainty.

I feel goaltending will be good enough, but nothing more.

I suspect our special teams will regress a bit, but we may also see our 5x5 play improve as well.

Lots of question marks indeed on D. Were Barrie's struggles in Toronto a Mike Babcock issue or a Tyson Barrie issue? Can Nurse step up to a first pairing role? Can Bear avoid a sophomore slump?

Agreed on special teams. I see slight regression made up for with much improved 5x5 play.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Lots of question marks indeed on D. Were Barrie's struggles in Toronto a Mike Babcock issue or a Tyson Barrie issue? Can Nurse step up to a first pairing role? Can Bear avoid a sophomore slump?

Agreed on special teams. I see slight regression made up for with much improved 5x5 play.
Babcocks struggles were due to him. Barrie has been fine everywhere except a 23 game sample with Babcock.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Babcocks struggles were due to him. Barrie has been fine everywhere except a 23 game sample with Babcock.
If it wasn't for his struggles he wouldn't be an Oiler right now but probably would be making 7M per somewhere else.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
This is such an instance of the Connor Effect: hey, come sign a peanuts 1-year contract, get a shot on the first line, then maybe score 60 points as connor banks like 30 pucks off your backside, quadruple your worth on the market. Or, screw it up and we bury you. That's the deal.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
They probably do. They have an aging Gio, a glass Tanev, two middling guys in Andersson and Hanifin, a guy who just lost a year of development in Valimaki, and a guy the coaches don’t trust in Kylington.

Hanifin has to be the most overrated defenseman in the NHL. I don't know if it's just coincidence, but whenever I watch the Flames he sticks out as a complete mess. If he's being relied upon as a second pair anchor then that makes me happy.

Reactions: Oilhawks

North

Jun 25, 2009
Hanifin has to be the most overrated defenseman in the NHL. I don't know if it's just coincidence, but whenever I watch the Flames he sticks out as a complete mess. If he's being relied upon as a second pair anchor then that makes me happy.

I’m not even sure why he was ranked as high as he was in his draft year. He skates well but his hockey sense is severely lacking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad