Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
So stoked about this signing, always wanted Kahun here

tenor.gif

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My Trade Chiasson - Sign Kahun plea halfway worked. Didn't think they could do the latter without the former but somehow Kenny the Wizard pulled it off.

As I said in the trade thread, keep DRY together and attach Kahun to McDavid to start. I actually think he'd be a real good fit for McDavid because he's positionally solid and plays a solid 2 way game (sort of like a poor mans' Granlund), much better fit for McDavid than a one dimensional speedy goal scorer like AA or even Hoffman IMO. Kahun isn't a true top 6 forward but he's a swiss (German?) army knife guy that can play up and down the lineup. The forward group is as offensively versatile and deep as the Oilers have had in years, decades. Still some defensive concerns but they will score a lot of goals and be a joy to watch.

Kahun-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Ennis-Turris-Puiljujarvi
Neal-Khaira/Haas-Archibald/Chiasson

Nygard, PRuss

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
So many things to write about with this signing

• Props to Holland for sticking firm on his offer to Athanasiou. If he had caved and signed AA to his qualifying offer due to the pressures of what it took to acquire him, our we might not have been able to afford even 1 of Kahun, Turris or Ennis, let alone all 3
  • Kahun is an RFA this year, so if he fits in with the team, he will hopefully sign a long term deal for some security. Having moved to his 4th team in 2 years, it wouldn't surprise me if he takes a discount with us next offseason for some more term and safety
  • Draisaitl finally gets his wish to have Kahun on the Oilers - there's no question that he had something to say about this move. I'm glad Holland seems to be doing his best to make the big boys happy (at reasonable prices, of course)
  • The absolute worst case scenario is that Dominik doesn't click with the team and we lose him after 1 year or even bury him for nothing if something happens. It won't get to this point but literally no downside with this move
  • This speaks to Holland's ability to identify team needs (unlike his predecessor); Ken could have been satisfied with our forward corps as it was (we obviously have enough bodies upfront), but he (rightly) figured that there wasn't enough talent in the top 6
  • For all that's been said about Holland's patient and "slow" approach to team building, he's turned over more than half the team in his 1.5 years here. Granted some of them have been prospects stepping up (finally), but Ken hasn't been shy about getting rid of PC's junk
  • With this signing, Neal can hopefully find a permanent fixture on the fourth line where he belongs (might even do well if he's playing with Khaira), and Ennis can be a bottom 6 winger (a role he does well in)
  • I think this pretty much guarantees that the team will go 7-3-1 for expansion. What happens with Klefbom?
  • It will be interesting to see if the Oilers keep Chiasson for the extra body (especially important next season), or find a way to get rid of the cap space. Either way, at this point I'm just sitting back and enjoying the ride

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Watch Holland come out and give credit to HfOil for pretty much collectively willing this signing!

Reactions: snipes

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So many things to write about with this signing

• Props to Holland for sticking firm on his offer to Athanasiou. If he had caved and signed AA to his qualifying offer due to the pressures of what it took to acquire him, our we might not have been able to afford even 1 of Kahun, Turris or Ennis, let alone all 3
  • Kahun is an RFA this year, so if he fits in with the team, he will hopefully sign a long term deal for some security. Having moved to his 4th team in 2 years, it wouldn't surprise me if he takes a discount with us next offseason for some more term and safety
  • Draisaitl finally gets his wish to have Kahun on the Oilers - there's no question that he had something to say about this move. I'm glad Holland seems to be doing his best to make the big boys happy (at reasonable prices, of course)
  • The absolute worst case scenario is that Dominik doesn't click with the team and we lose him after 1 year or even bury him for nothing if something happens. It won't get to this point but literally no downside with this move
  • This speaks to Holland's ability to identify team needs (unlike his predecessor); Ken could have been satisfied with our forward corps as it was (we obviously have enough bodies upfront), but he (rightly) figured that there wasn't enough talent in the top 6
  • For all that's been said about Holland's patient and "slow" approach to team building, he's turned over more than half the team in his 1.5 years here. Granted some of them have been prospects stepping up (finally), but Ken hasn't been shy about getting rid of PC's junk
  • With this signing, Neal can hopefully find a permanent fixture on the fourth line where he belongs (might even do well if he's playing with Khaira), and Ennis can be a bottom 6 winger (a role he does well in)
  • I think this pretty much guarantees that the team will go 7-3-1 for expansion. Will be interesting to see what happens with Klefbom
  • It will be interesting to see if the Oilers keep Chiasson for the extra body (especially important next season), or find a way to get rid of the cap space. Either way, at this point I'm just sitting back and enjoying the ride
With the expansion bit, I'm not so certain since we have expiring contracts so Holland might try to game the system. But imo he is not making any decisions based on expansion right now.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
With the expansion bit, I'm not so certain since we have expiring contracts so Holland might try to game the system. But imo he is not making any decisions based on expansion right now.
I don't really see it. Game the system as in leave Nuge/Larsson/Kahun unprotected and try to re-sign them as free agents?

I think the more likely scenario is trading an asset to ensure they don't pick Klefbom, or even dumping a 1st (hopefully 2022) to get rid of the last 2 years of Neal.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He'll probably give credit to Leon lol
Reporter: So Leon, your wish finally came true knowing you wanted nothing more than Kahun.
Leon: I did?
Reporter: ofcourse, plenty of talk on the hockey boards..
Leon: but Nuge...
Reporter: oh look we have Kahun online . why take this league min deal for Oil?
Kahun: because hfoil said Drai loves me to be on his line and was constantly talking to Holland.
Drai: but Nuge...

Reactions: Aerchon

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't really see it. Game the system as in leave Nuge/Larsson/Kahun unprotected and try to re-sign them as free agents?

I think the more likely scenario is trading an asset to ensure they don't pick Klefbom, or even dumping a 1st (hopefully 2022) to get rid of the last 2 years of Neal.
Well since Kahun is RFA next summer I suppose that wouldnt work. And risking that with RNH could backfire, as Seattle might see him as a good top six C option and out bid us. I think Holland is choosing to put off expansion and deal with it when he needs to.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I’d just leave Klefbom out there honestly. If Seattle wants to risk taking him oh well we’ll take the cap space.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Reporter: So Leon, your wish finally came true knowing you wanted nothing more than Kahun.
Leon: I did?
Reporter: ofcourse, plenty of talk on the hockey boards..
Leon: but Nuge...
Reporter: oh look we have Kahun online . why take this league min deal for Oil?
Kahun: because hfoil said Drai loves me to be on his line and was constantly talking to Holland.
Drai: but Nuge...
Haha but honestly I dont see Kahun as a lock to go with Drai. It will be tried of course, and maybe those in charge really want Nuge with McDavid. But a great thing about this move is that we have options. Kahun could be a great fit with McDavid. Honestly I think whatever works with McDavid will have priority over what happens to Draisaitls line

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad