Speculation: Offseason UFA and RFA Targets that would benefit the Rangers

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
What hasn't he accomplished that Stepan has? Is Stepan worth more than MacKinnon or Barkov as well? Kane hit 30 goals in the NHL at age 19-20. Is that not accomplishing something?

I guess we'll just need to agree to disagree.

What has Stepan accomplished?

Lets see, his rookie year was better than Kane's 2nd year

Derek's 2nd year was 6 points off the pace of Kane.

Derek's 3rd year blows the doors off anythign Kane has done thus far in their careers,

And this year after a horrible start due to no training camp after a hold out, Stepan was pacing better than Kane.

I do not disagree that Kane is a special player and would take him on the Rangers in a milisecond. He is exactly the type of player the Rangers have lacked for years...ever.

I just think that Stepan in this instance is not getting the credit he deserves.

I discount the ages because if a player is good enough to play in the NHL, then the ONLY real comparison is what the players do during the time they are in the NHL.

As mentioned, I like Kane, I would take him in a heartbeat. He would be a perfect fit her in NY.

What I would not do is add anything to Stepan to acquire Kane.

Stepan is as good at HIS position as Kane is at his.

Stepan is as good at doing what he needs to do for the position he plays as Kane is at his.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
What hasn't he accomplished that Stepan has? Is Stepan worth more than MacKinnon or Barkov as well? Kane hit 30 goals in the NHL at age 19-20. Is that not accomplishing something?

I guess we'll just need to agree to disagree.

I absolutely love Evander Kane and would probably give an arm to get him on this team.

That being said, Stepan is worth more than him, and is the better overall player. I'll keep Stepan, thanks.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
You guys are certainly free to your opinion, and again I keep Stepan because of our center depth, but I'd wager if you made a main boards poll, Kane would win fairly easily.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This is really one of the more important threads/ questions facing the Rangers going into next season. With so many FA's and possible cap space, you KNOW Sather and co is going to want to fill it if they decide to buy out Richards.

Quite frankly i dont care who they target, as long as there's a concise, ordered plan to find their way out of this conundrum they've put themselves in. Im not exactly sure that can be one given the amount of moving parts and uncertainty surrounding key positions.

It has to be done step by step but they need to have a long term vision of where this team needs to be and it needs to be better than what it currently is once you trade away your captain and decide on whether or not to buy out your #2 center, PP Qb.

All of this is over a team that is currently competitive. Not a true contender, but a playoff team nonetheless with an all-world goalie who isnt getting any younger. Theres really no time for any type of rebuild or reset. Gotta be really careful the decisions you make don't tilt the balance the wrong way. Its not an easy task. Tough to build a championship team that way.

This team will once again be turned over next season. A lot of new faces will be in camp next September. This year it was a coach - a new system. Every year you tinker but the Rangers have a habit of turning over large parts of their roster including small parts of the core. Next year will be no different. How will it be done? Or a better question - How CAN it be done? Everyone has a different take.

Last edited:

The Beezer

Jan 24, 2010
Jersey
Trade Callahan to St.Louis for Stewart + a 1st ... They would take that in a heartbeat. He played 3:00 last game and they are talking about putting him in the pressbox.
Then I would acquire Stastny in the offseason (after buying out Richards)

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Zuccarello-Stastny-Stewart
Hagelin-Brassard-Dorsett
Boyle-Moore-Carcillo

That is a top 6 ... has size.. speed and skill.

Stastny is a great #2C and has unbelievable chemistry with Chris Stewart. Zuccarello (superstar) would only make that line better.

We would fit under the cap.

The only flaw:
who knows if this team has the leadership and maturity to achieve greatness. I'm willing to bet on them. BTW with Callahan leaving, I'd give the captaincy to mcdonagh.

At this point I dont know why anyone would want to split Zuccs & Brassard up, regardless who else your putting them with. Besides, Brass needs skill guys around him, if your going to put him with Hags & Dorsett, you might as well trade him because he wasnt very effective with guys like that on his wings earlier in the season.

NHRangerfan

Why?

1) I don't think Fast is going to make it at the NHL level...at all!

2) With out strong leadership...And I mean strong leadership NY is a very easy place to gt lost in. This city has chewed up and spit out players over the years. There is youth here. There needs to be a guy in the room that makes the younger guys say..."****, that's Jerome Iginla over there, can't believe I'm playing with him this season." A leader needs to get everyone on this team to buy in. A leader also needs to get everyone on this team to walk the line in NY. Jerome's a leader. No doubt about that.

When will this myth end :shakehead

This city doesn't spit up and chew out hockey players...hockey is too far down the totem pole from a media perspective in NYC...

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
A top 6 center is what this team needs. A good one at that. That is either going to come via a trade, or internally. But I would go after 2 PITs UFAs. Guys that add depth, and versatility while making Pits weaker.

Engylland and Vitale.

Vitale is a RH 4th line center. Moore with more grit and toughness. Having a 4th line with Moore and Vitale means no concerns on faceoff matchups. He also blocks shots, PKs like Cally.

Engylland can play 4th line RW or 3rd pair D. Provides PK ability of Stralman, and allows Klein to move up if Stralman gets too expensive.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
A top 6 center is what this team needs. A good one at that. That is either going to come via a trade, or internally. But I would go after 2 PITs UFAs. Guys that add depth, and versatility while making Pits weaker.

Engylland and Vitale.

Vitale is a RH 4th line center. Moore with more grit and toughness. Having a 4th line with Moore and Vitale means no concerns on faceoff matchups. He also blocks shots, PKs like Cally.

Engylland can play 4th line RW or 3rd pair D. Provides PK ability of Stralman, and allows Klein to move up if Stralman gets too expensive.

We don't need more 4th line players, please!

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Posted this in the GDT just reporting it here.

I would rather not sign a "#1 center" or a "missing piece" this offseason. Let's just make a couple of trades, some resignings and go into the season.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Zucc
Hagelin-JTM/OL-Fast
Carcillo-XXX-Dorsett

Staal-Stralman
McDonagh-Girardi
Moore-Klein

Hank
Cam

If both JTM and Lindberg are ready, let OL have the 4th line spot. Sign a 4th line center or resign one of our 2.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Your 1st bullet point says it all. You don't watch him, or even bother to read about him.

Great, more intangibles that we're going to overpay for. Is that why Callahan should be paid 6 million dollars? Because he's just such a great leader that this team will crumble without him? He's not Mark Messier. You put way too much stock into what "lockeroom leaders" do. They aren't the difference between winning the cup and a 1st round exit.

Jarome is absolutely a leader, but one I am absolutely not signing.

Lol...Ok

The reality of it is I have watched him and read about him however I can also make my own conclusions on him. I dont think he's got it. Simple as that. Not that I want him to fail, I just don't think he is going to stick.. Lets revisit this thread next season.

Reason for Jerome...a 2 year deal is probably what it would take. 2 years is a much easier pill to swallow. And if you don't think there is value of leadership in a lockeroom you just don't get it...At all!

If Stewart is a reality though Iginla doesn't make sense. Way too much talent on the Right side.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Letting Stralman walk is a terrible move.

it is but you cant sign everyone there will be cap casualties..

if we go into next season with stepan and brass as our top 2 centers let miller get 3c, sign g... and see the pieces if we trade cally then i think we sign him long term..

a lot hinders on if we target and sign stastny and/or get a top c imo

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I think it depends on what Stralman wants. Depending on the price, he can easily re-sign with the Rangers.

I do recall that he wanted to go back to his home country to be close to his family last off season I believe, so who knows.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
What has Stepan accomplished?

Lets see, his rookie year was better than Kane's 2nd year

Derek's 2nd year was 6 points off the pace of Kane.

Derek's 3rd year blows the doors off anythign Kane has done thus far in their careers,

And this year after a horrible start due to no training camp after a hold out, Stepan was pacing better than Kane.

I do not disagree that Kane is a special player and would take him on the Rangers in a milisecond. He is exactly the type of player the Rangers have lacked for years...ever.

I just think that Stepan in this instance is not getting the credit he deserves.

I discount the ages because if a player is good enough to play in the NHL, then the ONLY real comparison is what the players do during the time they are in the NHL.

As mentioned, I like Kane, I would take him in a heartbeat. He would be a perfect fit her in NY.

What I would not do is add anything to Stepan to acquire Kane.

Stepan is as good at HIS position as Kane is at his.

Stepan is as good at doing what he needs to do for the position he plays as Kane is at his.

Yeah but Kane can make phone calls using stacks of money.....

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Letting Stralman walk is a terrible move.

Agree, sign him and DG. Let Boyle walk if he wants 2 mil + , sign Dom Moore and Carcillo. sign the RFAs with the exception of maybe Falk. Hell sign Pouliot if he keeps it up at 1.5-75. Still need another top 9 F and gives Miller and 4 others room to compete for 1-2 spots and we have depth.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
If STL gets Callahan, they won't be able to sign him. their C Backes makes 4.5, they're not gonna pay over 5.25 which is where we'd land. They'll trade his rights to Florida or Buffalo post season for like a 3rd. So they'll get something back in a Stwart package.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I think it depends on what Stralman wants. Depending on the price, he can easily re-sign with the Rangers.

I do recall that he wanted to go back to his home country to be close to his family last off season I believe, so who knows.

Does his family live full time in Sweden? Not a good sign for us.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Let me have some hypothetical fun here.... not a genuine proposal, just to see how it looks

We let Stralman go. Let Boyle go. Trade Callahan for Stewart. Buy out Richards.

We sign:

Dan Boyle
David Legwand
Thomas Vanek

re-sign Brassard, Zuccarello, and Moore

Then we run

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Vanek-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Legwand-Stewart
Carcillo-Moore-Dorsett
Pouliot

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Moore-Klein

Boyle over Stralman makes us older, but gives more offense from the blueline.
Legwand is a perfect 3rd line center. Good defensively, sizeable, chips in offense.
Vanek would capitalize on a lot more Zuccarello chances than Pouliot does.

It's a well-balanced lineup.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I wouldn't do it, but I could see the rangers letting stralman walk or trading him and bringing Dan Boyle in for 2 years. Replaces Richards on the PP.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Let me have some hypothetical fun here.... not a genuine proposal, just to see how it looks

We let Stralman go. Let Boyle go. Trade Callahan for Stewart. Buy out Richards.

We sign:

Dan Boyle
David Legwand
Thomas Vanek

re-sign Brassard, Zuccarello, and Moore

Then we run

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Vanek-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Legwand-Stewart
Carcillo-Moore-Dorsett
Pouliot

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Moore-Klein

Boyle over Stralman makes us older, but gives more offense from the blueline.
Legwand is a perfect 3rd line center. Good defensively, sizeable, chips in offense.
Vanek would capitalize on a lot more Zuccarello chances than Pouliot does.

It's a well-balanced lineup.

Depending on contract terms, done.

donpaulo

Capt Barry Beck
May 19, 2003
nihon
www.billcorfield.com
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Zucc
Hagelin-Richards-Dorsett
Miller-XXX-XXX

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Moore-Stralman

Hank
Cam

NY is in a position where they need to go for it during Hanks prime. I don't think the list of UFA players available are going to help NY unless its Girardi and NY keeps him locked up.

The club has been a very nice run so I see little reason to change much. Thus tweaking the role players is probably where NY will focus IMHO.

Don't touch the "top" line

Brad Richards situation is a tough call. On pace for 60 points, financially I can easily see cutting him but he has played relatively well with Callahan. I doubt they keep both. Regarding an outside center UFA, BR (despite his cost) is already familiar with the system, and is about as good as any other UFA they could bring in so I suppose it wouldn't be surprising to him return again next season.

2nd line
Brassard should be kept if his demands keep him in the 3 megabuck range. Its probably not possible if he demands a raise however so I guess he could be moved for another asset but I would prefer they keep him. Zucc has seen the light and I would like to see him return next season. NY gives him Callahan's ice time. Pouliot fits well on that line so it would be relatively easy to lock him up on another 1 or 2 year deal. They collectively have synergy as a line so I see little sense in breaking up a good thing.

3rd line
To me Hagelin is a guy I want to see excel at the PK, stretch the D and win his share of battles in the corner. Speed never slumps but I am unsure if his future is in NY with the Rangers. Signed for next season I'd like to see him play for another contract. Dorsett also slots nicely on the 3rd line and can bookend nicely with Haggy. Similar situation with him too.

3rd line center
Unless I see a better option than perhaps Richards gets another kick at the can. He has been effective on the powerplay so I think he warrants another shot at it rather than buying him out and spending more to bring someone else in.

4th line
If Boyle returns for about the same money I can see keeping him, same with Dom Moore as they are nifty on the PK, good on draws and backcheck nicely. However if they are offered more elsewhere I say thanks but no thanks.

Unlike Torts, AV plays his 4th line so I think NY can look to the Pack to backfill the roster here. Maybe Carcillo returns as I like what he brings to the team.

Guys like Fasth, Miller, Kristo, Lindberg all deserve a shot. Miller is on record saying he prefers not to play at Center so I penciled him in on LW.

Defense
Is pretty well set. I believe Klein pushes Stralman to the 3rd pairing this has to do with his better overall experience, ability to shutdown top lines over the years and his 20 minutes a night without injury since he came into the league.

I agree with the sentiment that Stralman is a quality defenseman and should be resigned. Perhaps he takes the 2nd pairing from Klein, who can say but its good for the team to have the competition for the spot. Either way NY is much better with both Klein and Stralman manning the right side after Girardi.

The blueline looks very strong and is great part of being a rangers fan for the last couple of years

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
I really don't understand the Stastny love here. My roommate of the past 3 years is a huge Avs fan and I got to watch a lot of him. If you think he'll be a significant upgrade over Richie you're in for a rude awakening.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
No to Vanek, to be honest. You're getting a guy who's kind of prone to injuries (I know his GP indicate otherwise, but he plays hurt a lot) and who'll command north of 7m$ for 5+ years. We already have two contracts that could handcuff this team if something doesn't turn out like we planned. And while you need to take some risks, there's no way I'd take on a third contract of that calibre. Let him go to the Wild or Detroit if they're crazy enough to overpay him (and I really think you could be looking at close to 8m$). The thing for Vanek is, he really fills a need. Bona fide first liner with an absolute blast of a shot, one of (if not the) best around the net and found his groove as a playmaker the last couple of years too. I can see why you like him, but I'm still not a fan of signing him.

I'm not a fan of making a big splash this summer. Re-Sign Brassard, Stralman, Girardi, Zuccarello and possibly Boyle. Buy out Richards. If Sather can't help himself, I want him to go insane and OS the **** out of some team (so yeah, with his track record, this isn't gonna happen).

Sign an under 30 3rd liner in case Fast/Lindberg/Miller don't pan out. Hope for McIlrath or Allen to take a step forward and be ready to play at the big stage. Time for this franchise to evaluate their Hartford players and if they can make the Rangers next season.

Tell Kreider he has a laser of a shot and to let it go more often. You can score thirty in this league with that, you doofus. If help at center is necessary because Brassard can't handle 2nd line minutes, make a trade from a position of strength (defense).

The concept with classic 1-2-3 centers isn't for this team, barring a miracle. We're looking at a 2a-2b-2c kind of scenario. We have the 2a part with Stepan. We can hope for Miller to be able to handle the 2c thing, a guy that is solid defensively, a pain in the ass to play against and able to put up 35 points. I fully believe he can handle this as soon as next season. The biggest doubt I have is for Brassard to step in that 2b role.

Last edited:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
When will this myth end :shakehead

This city doesn't spit up and chew out hockey players...hockey is too far down the totem pole from a media perspective in NYC...

I am not talking about the media at all. I'm talking about the nightlife. The extra curricular activities.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I really don't understand the Stastny love here. My roommate of the past 3 years is a huge Avs fan and I got to watch a lot of him. If you think he'll be a significant upgrade over Richie you're in for a rude awakening.

I can't believe it either.

We are supposed to out bid everyone for a mediocre 3rd tier first line center on a bare market?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00