Speculation: Offseason UFA and RFA Targets that would benefit the Rangers

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I am not that big of a fan of UFAs in general, but if they are going that route, I vote Stastny and only him if he was willing to be a Ranger.

I have yet to see any Colorado fan really have anything bad to say about him other than he is expensive and that they already have cheaper younger options.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1580433

Punxrocknyc19*

I'd take a hard look at both Matt Greene and Brandon Bollig if they reach UFA.

i was a big fan of Greene when he was on the Oilers. id love if he came here. a could be a good mentor for McIlrath if he makes the club full time next year...

Bollig would be a solid addition... adds grit and size down the middle.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
i was a big fan of Greene when he was on the Oilers. id love if he came here. a could be a good mentor for McIlrath if he makes the club full time next year...

Bollig would be a solid addition... adds grit and size down the middle.

Bollig is a LWer. So he would slot in where Carcillo is right now.

I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing Carcillo either. Rotate Carcillo and Bollig as the 4th line LW. Injury replacement.

Punxrocknyc19*

Bollig is a LWer. So he would slot in where Carcillo is right now.

I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing Carcillo either. Rotate Carcillo and Bollig as the 4th line LW. Injury replacement.

i wouldnt mind that either. for some reason i thought Bollig was a center/winger..

Nightshift

Mar 22, 2013
I say re-sign most of our own players, make a deal or two (Callahan?) to restructure a bit and stay away from the big name/big money FA market. It's caused us nothing but trouble in the past, no reason to think that will change. If you must look to free agency, I suggest these 3 simple guidelines.

1. No major or recurring injuries/concussions in the recent past.
2. Must be a strong all around skater.
3. Nobody over the age of 28.

Obviously you'll have exceptions, but with the dollars that are being thrown around nowadays you're almost certain to hand out a bad contract.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Evander Kane is younger than Chris Kreider. Was on pace for 30 during the lockout. Is currently on pace for 30 this year (he won't get it because of his infected hand, but he's on pace).

What has Chris Kreider accomplished? A good but overrated playoffs? Kane has a thirty goal season and was on a lockout shortened pace for another before Kreider even became relevant in the NHL. And he's younger. What has Stepan accomplished? One good lockout shortened year? Kane is also younger than Stepan.

Kane is also the face of their franchise currently.

don't know what Kreider is doing in this discussion so i will ignore him.

Here's what I am seeing.

If the league played a full season he would have been a 30 goal guy.

IF he didn't get an infection in his hand he would be a 30 goal guy.

IF the queen had balls, she would be king.

What I haven't seen mentioned about Kane is that thus far in his career, he's been overshadowed by lesser players on his own team.

During his 30 goal season, wheeler out pointed him 64-57

During last season, both Wheeler and Ladd scored more goals and points.

And this year the kid was falling further back in terms of team production as Wheeler, Little, Big Buff and Ladd were out pacing him.

At some point we have to stop making excuses for why he's not getting to where he should be getting and accept him for what he is.

A solid 25+ goal scoring winger that's got a ton of maturing to do both as a player and as ayoung man.

I like Kane, He'd be a good addition to the Rangers, but to say that he's worth Stepan, Miller and a 1st is insane.

Kane - 303 games played - 188pts

Stepan - 267 games played - 175 points

based on points per game played, Stepan is trending higher than Kane.

Stepan is a better defensive player and plays a more important position.

Kane is faster and more physical.

I would do Hagelin, Miller and a 1st. But I'm not moving Stepan for Kane.

no way in hell

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
don't know what Kreider is doing in this discussion so i will ignore him.

Here's what I am seeing.

If the league played a full season he would have been a 30 goal guy.

IF he didn't get an infection in his hand he would be a 30 goal guy.

IF the queen had balls, she would be king.

What I haven't seen mentioned about Kane is that thus far in his career, he's been overshadowed by lesser players on his own team.

During his 30 goal season, wheeler out pointed him 64-57

During last season, both Wheeler and Ladd scored more goals and points.

And this year the kid was falling further back in terms of team production as Wheeler, Little, Big Buff and Ladd were out pacing him.

At some point we have to stop making excuses for why he's not getting to where he should be getting and accept him for what he is.

A solid 25+ goal scoring winger that's got a ton of maturing to do both as a player and as ayoung man.

I like Kane, He'd be a good addition to the Rangers, but to say that he's worth Stepan, Miller and a 1st is insane.

Kane - 303 games played - 188pts

Stepan - 267 games played - 175 points

based on points per game played, Stepan is trending higher than Kane.

Stepan is a better defensive player and plays a more important position.

Kane is faster and more physical.

I would do Hagelin, Miller and a 1st. But I'm not moving Stepan for Kane.

no way in hell

Kreider was in the conversation because we all look so highly of Kreider because of the potential he is showing this year.

Kane is already what we all hope Kreider can become. And he's younger than Kreider is.

Look at it from WPG's POV.

And I'm not making any excuses for him. He's ****ing 22 years old. To have a single 30 goal year is a hell of an accomplishment, never mind to have it done by 22. To say he's "all he can become" at the age of 22 is asinine.

Also, Stepan is two years older than Kane. To suggest that Kane is trending down while Stepan is trending up is also asinine.

Oh nooo, Ladd outscored him when Kane scored 30 goals as a 19 year old. BUST.

Give me a break.

EDIT: Also, lets not ignore the two teams (and players) that these guys play with. Evander Kane plays with Olli ****ing Jokinen, while Stepan has played the majority of his time with either Gaborik or Nash.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Kreider was in the conversation because we all look so highly of Kreider because of the potential he is showing this year.

Kane is already what we all hope Kreider can become. And he's younger than Kreider is.

Look at it from WPG's POV.

And I'm not making any excuses for him. He's ****ing 22 years old. To have a single 30 goal year is a hell of an accomplishment, never mind to have it done by 22. To say he's "all he can become" at the age of 22 is asinine.

Also, Stepan is two years older than Kane. To suggest that Kane is trending down while Stepan is trending up is also asinine.

Oh nooo, Ladd outscored him when Kane scored 30 goals as a 19 year old. BUST.

Give me a break.

EDIT: Also, lets not ignore the two teams (and players) that these guys play with. Evander Kane plays with Olli ****ing Jokinen, while Stepan has played the majority of his time with either Gaborik or Nash.

Stepan played with Zucc and Kreider for a huge part of this year.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Stepan played with Zucc and Kreider for a huge part of this year.

That's why I said majority, and not all of the time. My point still stands. For the majority of his career, he has had either Rick Nash or Marian Gaborik, two 40 goal scorers, on his wing.

EDIT: And, to go off that point, this entire board agreed that Zucc and Kreider were pretty much carrying Stepan, and he was just along for the ride while those three were together.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
The major problem with trading Stepan in a deal for Kane is that we're downgrading our biggest weakness positionally to improve on of our greatest strengths. Between Nash, Kreider, MZA, Hagelin, Callahan, and Pouliot... that's more than enough to fill out a top 6. Not to mention potentially incoming players like Kristo, Fast, Buch, Duclair, etc. At center, we trade Stepan and buy out Richards... Then we're left with Brassard who will be overpaid via RFA, and unproven players like Miller, Lindberg, etc.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If Callahan gets traded then...

Jerome Iginla 2 years. $5.5 mil per. Team would need vet leadership.

Also sign Mike Brown

Uh, no?

Why don't we just give Fast his spot. He's about 4.5 million cheaper, faster, and great defensively. Can slot in on the 3rd line as long as he's healthy.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
This list stinks and they will all get overpaid which is why when it's all said and done I think Cally and girardi are resigned

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Uh, no?

Why don't we just give Fast his spot. He's about 4.5 million cheaper, faster, and great defensively. Can slot in on the 3rd line as long as he's healthy.

Why?

1) I don't think Fast is going to make it at the NHL level...at all!

2) With out strong leadership...And I mean strong leadership NY is a very easy place to gt lost in. This city has chewed up and spit out players over the years. There is youth here. There needs to be a guy in the room that makes the younger guys say..."****, that's Jerome Iginla over there, can't believe I'm playing with him this season." A leader needs to get everyone on this team to buy in. A leader also needs to get everyone on this team to walk the line in NY. Jerome's a leader. No doubt about that.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Why?

1) I don't think Fast is going to make it at the NHL level...at all!

2) With out strong leadership...And I mean strong leadership NY is a very easy place to gt lost in. This city has chewed up and spit out players over the years. There is youth here. There needs to be a guy in the room that makes the younger guys say..."****, that's Jerome Iginla over there, can't believe I'm playing with him this season." A leader needs to get everyone on this team to buy in. A leader also needs to get everyone on this team to walk the line in NY. Jerome's a leader. No doubt about that.

Your 1st bullet point says it all. You don't watch him, or even bother to read about him.

Great, more intangibles that we're going to overpay for. Is that why Callahan should be paid 6 million dollars? Because he's just such a great leader that this team will crumble without him? He's not Mark Messier. You put way too much stock into what "lockeroom leaders" do. They aren't the difference between winning the cup and a 1st round exit.

Jarome is absolutely a leader, but one I am absolutely not signing.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
The major problem with trading Stepan in a deal for Kane is that we're downgrading our biggest weakness positionally to improve on of our greatest strengths. Between Nash, Kreider, MZA, Hagelin, Callahan, and Pouliot... that's more than enough to fill out a top 6. Not to mention potentially incoming players like Kristo, Fast, Buch, Duclair, etc. At center, we trade Stepan and buy out Richards... Then we're left with Brassard who will be overpaid via RFA, and unproven players like Miller, Lindberg, etc.

Oh I agree 100%. I would not want to trade Stepan+Miller+1st for Kane, but that's what the value would be.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Oh I agree 100%. I would not want to trade Stepan+Miller+1st for Kane, but that's what the value would be.

And thsi is where we disagree.

For the life of me, I can't undersatdn how a playr that has accomplished less than Stepan has is worth Stepan, Miller and a 1st.

30 goals, face of the franchise blah blah blah I get it.

What has he actually accomplished that Stepan hasn't that makes his value THAT much?

I'm not seeing it.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Here's my list of UFAs and RFAs that I believe the Rangers should go after.

First, Amnesty Richards.
Second. Unfortunately let go/ or trade Callahan. (for more cap)
Third- Trade or Resign Girardi
Resign- Kreider,brass, Zucc, Boyle, D. Moore and Carcillo.
Let go of Stralman, Powe, and Asham (Girardi/ Callahan if needed)

UFA Targets:
Grabrovski (decent Center)
Ott (Center)
Legwand( i fear a Richards end with this but why not another C)
Stasny( pricey C but a good player)
Niskanen (Decent Defense)

RFA Targets( knowing full well other teams can match offer)
ROR (pricey but a good C)
Subban ( a longshot in anything, imagine top pair of Subban-Mac Truck i wet myself)
Krug (another longshot but a great D)

I believe these Free Agents would benefit our team.:yo:

I stopped reading right there.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
And thsi is where we disagree.

For the life of me, I can't undersatdn how a playr that has accomplished less than Stepan has is worth Stepan, Miller and a 1st.

30 goals, face of the franchise blah blah blah I get it.

What has he actually accomplished that Stepan hasn't that makes his value THAT much?

I'm not seeing it.

What hasn't he accomplished that Stepan has? Is Stepan worth more than MacKinnon or Barkov as well? Kane hit 30 goals in the NHL at age 19-20. Is that not accomplishing something?

I guess we'll just need to agree to disagree.

mcdonaugh

Jan 7, 2014
What I would do...

Trade Callahan to St.Louis for Stewart + a 1st ... They would take that in a heartbeat. He played 3:00 last game and they are talking about putting him in the pressbox.
Then I would acquire Stastny in the offseason (after buying out Richards)

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Zuccarello-Stastny-Stewart
Hagelin-Brassard-Dorsett
Boyle-Moore-Carcillo

That is a top 6 ... has size.. speed and skill.

Stastny is a great #2C and has unbelievable chemistry with Chris Stewart. Zuccarello (superstar) would only make that line better.

We would fit under the cap.

The only flaw:
who knows if this team has the leadership and maturity to achieve greatness. I'm willing to bet on them. BTW with Callahan leaving, I'd give the captaincy to mcdonagh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad