Speculation: Offseason UFA and RFA Targets that would benefit the Rangers

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I am not talking about the media at all. I'm talking about the nightlife. The extra curricular activities.

There are bars in every city and in some cases it's the only thing to do. We have models to keep everybody busy. Unless you're talking about Theo Fleurys secret crack den underneath PA.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Zucc
Hagelin-Richards-Dorsett
Miller-XXX-XXX

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Moore-Stralman

Hank
Cam

NY is in a position where they need to go for it during Hanks prime. I don't think the list of UFA players available are going to help NY unless its Girardi and NY keeps him locked up.

The club has been a very nice run so I see little reason to change much. Thus tweaking the role players is probably where NY will focus IMHO.

Don't touch the "top" line

Brad Richards situation is a tough call. On pace for 60 points, financially I can easily see cutting him but he has played relatively well with Callahan. I doubt they keep both. Regarding an outside center UFA, BR (despite his cost) is already familiar with the system, and is about as good as any other UFA they could bring in so I suppose it wouldn't be surprising to him return again next season.

2nd line
Brassard should be kept if his demands keep him in the 3 megabuck range. Its probably not possible if he demands a raise however so I guess he could be moved for another asset but I would prefer they keep him. Zucc has seen the light and I would like to see him return next season. NY gives him Callahan's ice time. Pouliot fits well on that line so it would be relatively easy to lock him up on another 1 or 2 year deal. They collectively have synergy as a line so I see little sense in breaking up a good thing.

3rd line
To me Hagelin is a guy I want to see excel at the PK, stretch the D and win his share of battles in the corner. Speed never slumps but I am unsure if his future is in NY with the Rangers. Signed for next season I'd like to see him play for another contract. Dorsett also slots nicely on the 3rd line and can bookend nicely with Haggy. Similar situation with him too.

3rd line center
Unless I see a better option than perhaps Richards gets another kick at the can. He has been effective on the powerplay so I think he warrants another shot at it rather than buying him out and spending more to bring someone else in.

4th line
If Boyle returns for about the same money I can see keeping him, same with Dom Moore as they are nifty on the PK, good on draws and backcheck nicely. However if they are offered more elsewhere I say thanks but no thanks.

Unlike Torts, AV plays his 4th line so I think NY can look to the Pack to backfill the roster here. Maybe Carcillo returns as I like what he brings to the team.

Guys like Fasth, Miller, Kristo, Lindberg all deserve a shot. Miller is on record saying he prefers not to play at Center so I penciled him in on LW.

Defense
Is pretty well set. I believe Klein pushes Stralman to the 3rd pairing this has to do with his better overall experience, ability to shutdown top lines over the years and his 20 minutes a night without injury since he came into the league.

I agree with the sentiment that Stralman is a quality defenseman and should be resigned. Perhaps he takes the 2nd pairing from Klein, who can say but its good for the team to have the competition for the spot. Either way NY is much better with both Klein and Stralman manning the right side after Girardi.

The blueline looks very strong and is great part of being a rangers fan for the last couple of years

Good analysis but you can remove Richards name. I would keep him if his contract ran another 2 years or so but we have like 6 more years and if he retires I believe we get hit with some stupid cap hit calc.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Depending on Potential Cally haul and outside of resigns, and vet D depth small signs, we'll need a C or a W depending on where JT winds up in the lienup. I suggest Legwand.

Krieds-Step-Nash
Stewart-Brass-Zuc
Hagelin-Legwand-miller/fast
Pouliot/Carcillo - Moore/Lindberg - Dorsett

We should resign Moore, Carcillo, Pouliot for cheap and Stralman at 3.25? and we'll lose Boyle at 3 yrs, 2.25 mil. (hello Montreal).

D stays the same assuming DG resign and we add someone like Colociavo if he can play both sides.

Good balance, depth, competition in camp, good 1st call ups (fast, Kristo, allen, McI, Lindberg). Should be cap acceptable. We lost our nicest eyes in Pyatt but DG and Hank can backfill.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
a stastny signing would be a virtual clone of the richards signing in that you are paying top $$ for a guy that really isn't an elite center...he'd just be a younger version of richards without the fear of the cap recapture penalty.

he's not the perfect guy but if you are of the opinion that we MUST buyout richards because the cap recapture penalty is too big a risk then you'd be hard pressed to find a better replacement for him than stastny for just $$. most of the better centers aren't available or would cost too much in a trade...

their stats this year:

Stastny--18:21/game, 16-23-39 +5, 54.3% on faceoffs, 39 hits, 3-8-11 on pp (2:20/game), 0-1-1 SH (0:38/game), 2GWG 0-0 in shootouts
Richards--19:03/game, 14-25-39 -5, 50.5% on faceoffs, 19 hits, 3-11-14 on pp (3:51/game), 0-0-0 sh (0:56/game), 2GWG, 1-1 in shootout

virtually identical with stastny being better on faceoffs...

i'm not a huge fan of giving him $7 mil...but if you are going to amnesty buyout richards i'd have a hard time arguing giving that cap space to stastny as a replacement.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Posted this in the GDT just reporting it here.

I would rather not sign a "#1 center" or a "missing piece" this offseason. Let's just make a couple of trades, some resignings and go into the season.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Zucc
Hagelin-JTM/OL-Fast
Carcillo-XXX-Dorsett

Staal-Stralman
McDonagh-Girardi
Moore-Klein

Hank
Cam

If both JTM and Lindberg are ready, let OL have the 4th line spot. Sign a 4th line center or resign one of our 2.

gonna say they let go Stralman and McIlrath ideally wins the job. Goaltending is the same

Lundqvist, Talbot

McDonaugh, Girardi( resign )
Staal, Klein
Moore McIlrath
Falk(RFA resign)

They are going to buy out Richards. Let Miller take his spot and bump up Brassard

C- Stepan, Brassard,Miller, Moore(resign)..........Lindberg in a yr

RW is basically set IF Cally is resigned and if not they likely get a RW back like Stewart

RW- Nash, Zuccarello, Cally/Stewart, Dorsett

LW is interesting as I can see them signing a UFA

Kreider, UFA(Cammeleri?) Hagelin, Pouliott/Carcillo resign.........Fast / Kristo close

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
gonna say they let go Stralman and McIlrath ideally wins the job. Goaltending is the same

Lundqvist, Talbot

Staal, Klein
Moore McIlrath
Falk(RFA resign)

They are going to buy out Richards. Let Miller take his spot and bump up Brassard

RW is basically set IF Cally is resigned and if not they likely get a RW back like Stewart

Kreider, UFA(Cammeleri?) Hagelin, Pouliott/Carcillo resign.........Fast / Kristo close

I gotta say, having seen him play in person a few times over the last couple years, Dylan can't compete with the Rangers D right now. At best he's a 7th Dman. I love his character, I love his heart. To me, he is not ready. I haven't seen him much this year, I hope he is making big strides.
But seriously I could see him being a player that doesn't hit the NHL until he is 23-25. Everytime I hear that he is ready, I think to myself, people are really assuming things based upon draft position, draft year, organizational belief or importance. But in terms of playing, I think he needs more seasoning.

And look the rangers love him, his trade value, I don't believe is too high, so the Rangers are going to stick with him and he will eventually be on the team and a welcome addition. I just think your still looking down the road with him. But man even if he comes up at 25. He's gonna be groomed to be a simple tough, Dman, a welcome addition. Everyone's path is different.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Fast is ready to play. He was ready defensively and positionally at the beginning of the year, and now that he got the offense cranking, he could play on the rangers right now.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Lundqvist, Talbot

Staal, Klein
Moore McIlrath
Falk(RFA resign)

Too many guys will have to play above their heads in this lineup.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I gotta say, having seen him play in person a few times over the last couple years, Dylan can't compete with the Rangers D right now. At best he's a 7th Dman. I love his character, I love his heart. To me, he is not ready. I haven't seen him much this year, I hope he is making big strides.
But seriously I could see him being a player that doesn't hit the NHL until he is 23-25. Everytime I hear that he is ready, I think to myself, people are really assuming things based upon draft position, draft year, organizational belief or importance. But in terms of playing, I think he needs more seasoning.

And look the rangers love him, his trade value, I don't believe is too high, so the Rangers are going to stick with him and he will eventually be on the team and a welcome addition. I just think your still looking down the road with him. But man even if he comes up at 25. He's gonna be groomed to be a simple tough, Dman, a welcome addition. Everyone's path is different.

Can't agree enough, might have been different sans injuries but I think we look at him more in 2015 and be one of the first call ups next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad