Speculation: Offseason UFA and RFA Targets that would benefit the Rangers

Danthehockeyman

Dec 13, 2013
Albany, NY
Here's my list of UFAs and RFAs that I believe the Rangers should go after.

First, Amnesty Richards.
Second. Unfortunately let go/ or trade Callahan. (for more cap)
Third- Trade or Resign Girardi
Resign- Kreider,brass, Zucc, Boyle, D. Moore and Carcillo.
Let go of Stralman, Powe, and Asham (Girardi/ Callahan if needed)

UFA Targets:
Grabrovski (decent Center)
Ott (Center)
Legwand( i fear a Richards end with this but why not another C)
Stasny( pricey C but a good player)
Niskanen (Decent Defense)

RFA Targets( knowing full well other teams can match offer)
ROR (pricey but a good C)
Subban ( a longshot in anything, imagine top pair of Subban-Mac Truck i wet myself)
Krug (another longshot but a great D)

I believe these Free Agents would benefit our team.:yo:

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle

First, Amnesty Richards.

UFA Targets:
Ott (Center)

Subban ( a longshot in anything, imagine top pair of Subban-Mac Truck i wet myself)

Let go of Stralman for nothing?!?!! He has been the NYR most consistent D all season. When G and Mac started off rough, he was playing well, when Staal started to play bad then get hurt, Stralman stepped it up. The money he is going to ask for is going to be on the low side, he gets resigned.
For what he will sign for, he will be one of the best $ for play D out there. His skating is fantastic, his passing is good, he is good with the puck, knows when to throw a check and his positioning is good. He is like Staal in that his passes don't get points but they let good things happen. If NYR can turn Moore(he has the skating ability) into a more O version of Stralman I would be very happy.
I think he should have been an extra D on the Swedish Olympic team. Maybe over Tallinder or Ericsson. They only have 2 RS D.

Offer sheet PK would be nice. Not ROR for what he will be asking.

Punxrocknyc19*

First, Amnesty Richards.

UFA Targets:
Ott (Center)

no way i resign Boyle. rather have Miller, Lindberg get his ice time if they earn it.. Boyle is replaceable.. id love ROR but that is doubtful.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
No way I let Stralman go for nothing.

All the RFAs are completely unrealistic.

All the UFAs you've mentioned are more of the same crap. I'd MAYBE go for Stastny. And that's a huge maybe.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Trade:

Callahan for a 1st in 2014 and a decent prospect. Not going to get a player, pick AND 1st so settle on the prospect you think can help in 1-3 years.

Girardi for a 1st and a decent prospect. There's a better than average chance that Girardi can bring back a decent player and the 1st. A righty shooting RD is very valuable.

Brassard and a 1st at the draft to move into the top 10 lose a player, but three 1st round picks is huge.

Buyout Richards.

Between the 4 of them and the cap going up by 7 million, we are looking at 24 million to address the team.

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Hagelin - ?????? - Zuccs
??????? - Miller - ???????
Fast - Lindberg - Carcillo

My targets would be:

Paul Stastny - Best center available this summer. is averageing close to 53% on face offs over the last 3 seasons. He's fast, responsible defensively and talented.

Daniel Winnik - big kid that can skate and forecheck. capable offensively as well.

Steve Downie - Not a big guy, but he can also skate and is a demon on the forecheck and loves to throw the body.

Lines would be:

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Stastny - Zuccarello
Winnik - Miller - Downie
Dorsett

On D:

McD - Klein
Staal - Stralman (re-signed)
Moore - Allen/McIlrath

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Trade:

Callahan for a 1st in 2014 and a decent prospect. Not going to get a player, pick AND 1st so settle on the prospect you think can help in 1-3 years.

Girardi for a 1st and a decent prospect. There's a better than average chance that Girardi can bring back a decent player and the 1st. A righty shooting RD is very valuable.

Brassard and a 1st at the draft to move into the top 10 lose a player, but three 1st round picks is huge.

Buyout Richards.

Between the 4 of them and the cap going up by 7 million, we are looking at 24 million to address the team.

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Hagelin - ?????? - Zuccs
??????? - Miller - ???????

My targets would be:

Paul Stastny - Best center available this summer. is averageing close to 53% on face offs over the last 3 seasons. He's fast, responsible defensively and talented.

Daniel Winnik - big kid that can skate and forecheck. capable offensively as well.

Steve Downie - Not a big guy, but he can also skate and is a demon on the forecheck and loves to throw the body.

Lines would be:

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Stastny - Zuccarello
Winnik - Miller - Downie
Dorsett

On D:

McD - Klein
Staal - Stralman (re-signed)
Moore - Allen/McIlrath

I like our team this year better than this team. I get we need to build for the future, but we shouldn't totally cripple our team.

I'd much rather get a very good prospect/young player that's ready to contribute in some capacity compared to a good prospect that's a few years away and a 1st.

We can't afford to lose Richards, Brassard, Girardi, and Callahan and get no players that are ready to step in in return. That's three of our top 6, and our #1 RD.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
This team is not bad as is, I don't make many changes

G is the same
On d let Stralman go due to the cap and insert mcilrath
Girardi signed now

Buyout Richards , sign an offensive winger

Sign Cally. Yea it can happen

Let boyle go, resign pouliott, Moore, carcillo on the cheap

Play fast and miller

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I don't understand what the obsession is with getting rid of Stralman.

He's probably the best value d-man we have (next to McDonagh).

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I like our team this year better than this team. I get we need to build for the future, but we shouldn't totally cripple our team.

I'd much rather get a very good prospect/young player that's ready to contribute in some capacity compared to a good prospect that's a few years away and a 1st.

We can't afford to lose Richards, Brassard, Girardi, and Callahan and get no players that are ready to step in in return. That's three of our top 6, and our #1 RD.

Disagree

Lets assume that Stastny and Richards are equal offensively today. What Stastny brings to the table in other facets of the game make him a better fit for the style and system that AV is employing.

Callahan is not going to be getting prime PP duties and paying him 5+ million to be on the 3rd line is complete mis-management of cap space

Brassard, who I like, is also going to be making close to 4 million to be a 3rd line center.

the path to competing in the NHL for a cup has been set. Big, strong, fast and talented teams win more games.

We need to get bigger, stronger, faster and if in doing so, we take a slight step back offensively, that's OK because because it's not always the most talented guys that win games.

The line up that I listed is better suited to play AV's style and better suited to compete with the bigger more physical teams in the East AND West.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
if I could waive a magic wand...

Figure out what it would take to get Evander Kane on the Rangers...say Ryan Callahan + a first + Jesper Fasth + a mid round pick.prospect for Evander Kane and the rights to Burmistrov

Buy out Richards
Sign Stralman, Brassard, Staal, Girardi, Pouliot, MZA, etc.

Go with this into next year...

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Kane - Brassard - MZA (i know, you don't "want" to break up this line, but boy, Kane could be a dynamic force with these 2 playmakers)
Pouliot/Hagelin - Miller - Pouliot/Hagelin
Dorsett - Lindberg - Fasth

Introduce a lot more youth & speed.

speed wins in todays game. Rangers, and to a lesser extend the Islanders have proven that.

Roll the same D...McIlrath is the first callup.

Blatant

Formerly NYRFan1823
Turning over a team year in and year out like everyone here wants to do is not how to win a championship. Teams need to build chemistry play together over years not a few months. Let this D develop. Don't get rid of stralman he has been huge for us this year. With Hank in net this group can be one of the top defensive units in the league.

I do like how Richie has been playing, but if you can buy him out and sign statsny with a few other minor changes than do it.

Might have to play around with the cap and make a few minor changes but with cap going up plus Richards buy out Glen should be able to make this happen.

Kreider- Stats- Nash
Callahan- Stepan- Hagelin
Zucc- Brass- Poo
Carcillo- Boyle- Moore
Fast/Lindberg/Miller

Same D with Mc as call up.

Let this unit grow under Av, everyone here knows how hard it is to adapt to a new system, don't want to do that every year.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
stastny...yuck.

no thank you.

he's not a #1 center...i'd take stepan over stastny.

We're not replacing a #1 center in richards...we're replacing a 3rd line center.

JT Miller can do it for 1/4th the cost.

Is Richards putting up top line points? sure, but 1/3rd of his points are PP points, playing with a different set of players. For E.S. JT Miller can easily give us 3rd line minutes.

Punxrocknyc19*

stastny...yuck.

no thank you.

he's not a #1 center...i'd take stepan over stastny.

We're not replacing a #1 center in richards...we're replacing a 3rd line center.

JT Miller can do it for 1/4th the cost.

Is Richards putting up top line points? sure, but 1/3rd of his points are PP points, playing with a different set of players. For E.S. JT Miller can easily give us 3rd line minutes.

JT Miller or Oscar Lindberg. Rangers have options in Hartford.. no reason to overpay for Stastny

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
if I could waive a magic wand...

Figure out what it would take to get Evander Kane on the Rangers...say Ryan Callahan + a first + Jesper Fasth + a mid round pick.prospect for Evander Kane and the rights to Burmistrov

Buy out Richards
Sign Stralman, Brassard, Staal, Girardi, Pouliot, MZA, etc.

Go with this into next year...

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Kane - Brassard - MZA (i know, you don't "want" to break up this line, but boy, Kane could be a dynamic force with these 2 playmakers)
Pouliot/Hagelin - Miller - Pouliot/Hagelin
Dorsett - Lindberg - Fasth

Introduce a lot more youth & speed.

speed wins in todays game. Rangers, and to a lesser extend the Islanders have proven that.

Roll the same D...McIlrath is the first callup.

A UFA+a mediocre prospect+a 1st isn't going to get Evander Kane.

The price for Kane would likely be something like Stepan+Miller+1st. At the minimum.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
A UFA+a mediocre prospect+a 1st isn't going to get Evander Kane.

The price for Kane would likely be something like Stepan+Miller+1st. At the minimum.

And that value is based on what exactly?

ONE 30 goal season? He's not even the best player on his team as Ladd, Wheeler have both shown to be as good as or better than Kane.

Kid is solid and has POTENTIAL but thus far he's been pretty disappointing.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
no way i resign Boyle. rather have Miller, Lindberg get his ice time if they earn it.. Boyle is replaceable.. id love ROR but that is doubtful.

Oh yea? By who?

Nobody currently in the organization.

One sweet day people will recognize and appreciate solid defensive play, realizing its just as important as the offense and tuffness so many crave.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
And that value is based on what exactly?

ONE 30 goal season? He's not even the best player on his team as Ladd, Wheeler have both shown to be as good as or better than Kane.

Kid is solid and has POTENTIAL but thus far he's been pretty disappointing.

Evander Kane is younger than Chris Kreider. Was on pace for 30 during the lockout. Is currently on pace for 30 this year (he won't get it because of his infected hand, but he's on pace).

What has Chris Kreider accomplished? A good but overrated playoffs? Kane has a thirty goal season and was on a lockout shortened pace for another before Kreider even became relevant in the NHL. And he's younger. What has Stepan accomplished? One good lockout shortened year? Kane is also younger than Stepan.

Kane is also the face of their franchise currently.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

First, Amnesty Richards.

UFA Targets:
Ott (Center)

Thats cool. I dont - especially the UFA targets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad