Offseason Thread Part III

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Can't really complain about that contract. Wild didn't want to go under 4 years, and Kaprizov would've prefered 3 years (to UFA). That means big AAV. But I have zero doubt he is worth it. Looking at his career, the guy is almost identical to Panarin, except slightly better. Will he score more with the Wild? I doubt it. But they finaly have a superstar.

f*** the wild.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Can't really complain about that contract. Wild didn't want to go under 4 years, and Kaprizov would've prefered 3 years (to UFA). That means big AAV. But I have zero doubt he is worth it. Looking at his career, the guy is almost identical to Panarin, except slightly better. Will he score more with the Wild? I doubt it. But they finaly have a superstar.

f*** the wild.
Gaborik was their last superstar so yah I get why they paid him.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I dunno how the Wild expect to be serious contenders with the Parise and Suter money on the books but at least they've accomplished step 1 here.
They won't. It will get worse in the next few years too. They will have to run everything with ELC's and low-money players for several years. I guess that can work if your ELC players go off, but it's probably gonna be tough sledding the next 3-4 years. Wait till they start to suck and Kirill wants to be traded.

It would have been better for them had they facilitated deals where they ate 50% of both Parise and Suter's deals, and then someone else ate 50% of the rest for a couple of picks/prospects, and they traded them both. Instead, they are stuck with those monster cap hits for ever, it seems

cody275

Nov 14, 2008

Not the contract I was expecting

Edit: Didn't see it discussed on the previous page. Not sure how I missed that :laugh:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

f*** the wild.

Panarin’s vision is on a different level than Kaprizov.

I think that contract should be fine though. I’m a little surprised he was able to get so much so soon, but I don’t think they had much choice.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Panarin’s vision is on a different level than Kaprizov.

I think that contract should be fine though. I’m a little surprised he was able to get so much so soon, but I don’t think they had much choice.
They didn't have a choice, his situation is fairly unique, though very similar to Panarin.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
The Byram/Newhook or Harley/Zegras debate is interesting to me but the one I think about more is the NJ 2017 and 2019 1st overall forwards versus the Avs 4th overall defenceman.

It’s quite the coincidence that the Avs had the best odds at both first overalls yet lost both to the same team and dropped as far as they could. Even rarer that the 4th overall picks have a real shot at usurping the forwards and having better careers. It would be tough to find two other years that close together where the 4th overalls could end up as more valuable than the 1st overalls.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Dude. I love your energy but comparing a over the hill AA on a PTO to legit top 6/awesome top 9 guys is crazy.

Maybe over the hill is too strong, but at best we're hoping he can be a solid 4th liner for us. Saad/Donks were 40+ point 20+ goal players... Pulling up their career statistics is pretty disingenuous.

You watch Donskoi's production this season with the Kraken fall off the cliff. He's not surrounded with young superstars anymore (some generational). Our team is a machine that drips productivity, regardless of who's in it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Harley doesn’t look like a defender. Can he play LW. His defensive acumen is awful.

I love Zegras but I’m not trading Byram and Newhook straight up for him and a guy that looks pretty bust tastic. Avs already have enough stars. They need more high end quality players that won’t break the salary cap. I love the idea of Byram being thrust into a defensive heavy role with PK 1 responsibilities and no PP time.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
One of the things we discussed with Jones was how he raised the bar for other blueliners with his new contract. He took real pride in that, while recognizing the limitations of a cap system — he’s always had a good understanding of sports business, for obvious family reasons. He’s very excited about Chicago, especially playing with brother Caleb, but we did ask him if he ever thought he was going anywhere else. He answered there was a “one-year thing” discussed. Colorado? He tried to avoid confirmation, but under significant and brutal cross-examination, basically admitted it. That situation “had a great chance to win it,” he said. “In my heart I wanted to be somewhere that I was going to be the rest of my career.”
From Friedman’s 31 thoughts:

Reactions: Avs_19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad